Is this even possible? 1000 calories burned in 65 min?

Options

Replies

• LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes it is
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's possible. Just make sure you set it up for your weight, height, and VO2 max. My husband had set it up for him a while back so after I reset it for me it said I burned less calories (naturally).
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I recently got the Timex as well. 67 minutes of zumba gave me 1400calories. My cousin had her HRM on (she weighs close to the same, but her heart rate was lower during the workout) and hers said just over 950. Is it possible that I burned that much more than her?

If her heart rate was much lower than yours during the workout, then yes you would burn more calories than she did. Yes you might weigh about the same but if you are working out harder than she is, you will burn more calories than her.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've gotten similar numbers with an HRM and also very different ones (closer to 700) for the same time/distance, being 30 pounds heavier. I put your stats into the database on this site and it said closer to 700, too. I would make sure all your data in the HRM is right. Mine asks me to qualify my fitness level. I initially said "moderate" but had to change it to "very fit" to get the numbers closer to what seemed right.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I do 20 Minutes of C to 5K. and its only light jogging. and I burn 400ish
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    its possible :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Timex one as well and I did enter the settings in..once that one busted I got a Polar..the Timex was crazy high in comparison..
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I ran/walked for 60 minutes and burnt 928 calories
  • missfancy1980
    Options

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I gotta snicker at all of the people who "think" it is or isn't possible. Let's hear from the people out there 'proving' it's possible.

I routinely burn OVER 1000 cals per hour on my trail runs. Hell, I just burned over 1400 in 80 minutes on a 10 mile run. (1396 calories on my Garmin, and 1413 calories on my Polar FT7)

So the answer is YES. Now whether YOU can accomplish this number is not for anyone on this forum to say.

10milerun.jpg
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Nope-not unless the entire 6 miles was uphill. At that speed and your weight, you will burn around 650 pet hour.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Here's why I think it would be difficult at best for the OP to burn over 1000 calories in 65 minutes.

Given the fact the OP weighs 149 and running over a 10 minute mile, to me it just seems like an unlikely calorie burn. He stated he went 6.3 miles and that was with a 5 minute cool down. Most likely he ran 5.8ish miles. No information about elevation was given.

I could be wrong (I have been before ... once or twice) but my guess is if there was quite a bit of elevation involved, he would have stated it.

I weigh more than the OP and am 50. I average between 1250-1350 calories for a half marathon - or more than twice the distance he went. On a hilly course I might get up to 1400-1500 calories.

Of course it's possible he could burn that amount, but I'm still sticking with it's highly unlikely unless he was going up hill .... both ways.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    No one has asked yet.... what was your average HR on the run? That is a big variable.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Ok ... I made a mistake ... the OP is female. See, I told 'ya, every once in a while I'm wrong. Glad I got that out of the way for the month. :)

As far as her average HR on the run ... I'm not sure we're going to hear back from her. It was her first post and she hasn't been back. Maybe she doesn't know how to find her original post. IDK.
  • SMoRZ3
    SMoRZ3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I run a 7mi trail loop at least once a week a little over an hour and I get just over 1000 calories burned. This is according to my Garmin 405 watch.

You can see my stats here. Haven't put on the HR Monitor yet, its still too cold to want a wet strap tied around me! haha

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/155587039
  • methodless
    Options
    At your weight and that distance, it's possible, but I would expect it to be closer to 750-800 calories
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex zone Trainer and Ive had Polar HRMs. BOTH are accurate.

No.. this is not true at all. Polar will always be more accurate at estimating calories than a Timex.. Simply because they take more info and Vo2max into consideration.

To OP:
    Timex is crap.. Return and get a Polar. You'll be glad that you did.
  • tanklissa
    tanklissa Posts: 70
    Options
    I think it's possible. I was burning 150 calories/10 minutes on the treadmill today and I'm 150 lbs (4.4 speed and 15+ incline).
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh its possible. I burn between 700 and 900 calories per each 45 minute bootcamp session. Depends on numerous factors, including intensity.

Although I love my HRM, I do assume its a little over here and there. I try to eat back my exercise calories but keep it in the back of my mind that it could be off. It's there for good measure :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I gotta snicker at all of the people who "think" it is or isn't possible. Let's hear from the people out there 'proving' it's possible.

I routinely burn OVER 1000 cals per hour on my trail runs. Hell, I just burned over 1400 in 80 minutes on a 10 mile run. (1396 calories on my Garmin, and 1413 calories on my Polar FT7)

So the answer is YES. Now whether YOU can accomplish this number is not for anyone on this forum to say.

10milerun.jpg

Actually, people on the forum CAN say (or at least I can). It can be estimated fairly easily. The physiology is the physiology. If you weigh a certain amount and you work at a certain speed/intensity or above, you can burn 1000 calories in an hour. If you don't, you can't. It's as simple as that. You cannot "will" yourself to burn 1000 calories in an hour if you don't have the size/ability combo. And someone who can do it is not a better person, or more dedicated than anyone else. An elite female marathoner who weighs less than 120lbs is not going to be able to do it either.

On level ground, someone who weighs 67.7 kg (OP's weight) needs to run about 9.0 mph or faster to burn 1000 calories in an hour. And even if they ran on hills, it would still be highly unlikely, since the steepness of the hills would require a slowing of running speed to compensate. In order to run up hills at a speed fast enough to maintain a 1000 cal/hour intensity, the person would STILL have to have a fitness level capable of a sustained 9.0 mph speed on the flats.