When using your HRM....

Options
Do you stop it immediately after exercise? I stop mine right away, but I've been hearing talk about letting it run until my heart rate returns to normal.

I guess it doesn't matter unless you eat all of your exercise cals., but I'd like to know what others are doing.

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I stop mine as soon as I'm done...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If I'm not actually moving around anymore, I shut it down. I do let it keep going during my cool-down stretches but that's only a couple of minutes.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I stop it right away because I want to calculate the pace of my run.

I'd rather know that than the exact number of calories burned.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I usually stop immediately. My HRM numbers are so much higher then the machines and MFP, I am always worried it counts more then I am really burning, so I don't want to take the chance and adding more.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I shut it off after my cool down.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    yeah, I also let mine go during cool down and stretching. But I stop it right after, even if my HR is still elevated.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I stop mine when my rate is out of the "in zone" status and just do stretching or walking around until that happens. It is only a few minutes though. But I feel better about letting my heart rate return to normal first and seeing how quickly it does. It happens much quicker now since I'm more fit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    As soon as I'm done. Or I forget, and twenty minutes later I think of it when I go to take a shower :grumble: My heart rate gets back down quickly enough that the calories are insignificant.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I leave it on til my heart rate comes down, usually 5 minutes after I stop working out.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As soon as I am done!! Stopped:wink:
  • mariamikulich
    Options
    I stop mine right away unless I do stretches and stomach crunches. The heart rate does stay up and calories are burned if the stretches are strenuous enough.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    yeah, I also let mine go during cool down and stretching. But I stop it right after, even if my HR is still elevated.

This :smile:
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I usually stop immediately. My HRM numbers are so much higher then the machines and MFP, I am always worried it counts more then I am really burning, so I don't want to take the chance and adding more.

Whoa, back up....Your HRM is HIGHER than the gyms and MFP? Which one are you using? They are supposed to be very accurate. And it just may be, but Ive read all around here that MFP over estimates, the gym (such as eliptical) still not that accurate cuz it doesnt take all stats into account. And Ive only heard the the HRM is generally the lowest of the 3. Im using the ft7 and it is lower than the other 2 thank goodness, cuz i would hate to have to eat all those cals back!!! I can't make it half the time anyways!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If I'm using the treadmill I will cool down at a slower pace then stop by HRM once I step off the machine, usually 2- 3 minutes of cool down.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    I stop it immediately, but I don't stop until after my cooldown and stretch. My heart rate returns to normal of course during my cooldown/stretch, but I don't stop until I'm completely finished. But I keep a check on it so that I know how much I burned while in my zone. I do P90X/Insanity/etc so I stop my HRM when the video reads 00:00 lol. I recommend a good cooldown and stretch if you're not doing that.
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    I stop mine straight away as well.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Whoa, back up....Your HRM is HIGHER than the gyms and MFP? Which one are you using? They are supposed to be very accurate. And it just may be, but Ive read all around here that MFP over estimates, the gym (such as eliptical) still not that accurate cuz it doesnt take all stats into account. And Ive only heard the the HRM is generally the lowest of the 3. Im using the ft7 and it is lower than the other 2 thank goodness, cuz i would hate to have to eat all those cals back!!! I can't make it half the time anyways!

I use a Polar F6 and my numbers are also more than what MFP and the machines say. MFP doesn't account for when I might move faster or slow down a bit, that's what the HRM is for.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    i do both, depends on what mood I am in :tongue:

I also burn more than MFP. My runs are usually about 130 cals / mile.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    After I'm done stretching.