Exercise as stress relief

Options
Exercise has been a huge stress reliever for me lately. I find that if I go a week or so without exercising I feel more antsy, anxious, and stressed. After a good run, I feel more relaxed and sleep so much better! Does anyone else experience the same thing? What are your go-to stress relief workouts? How do you feel after?

Exercise is good for the body and mind :)

Replies

• SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Kickboxing with a bag rocks, because you can visualize people/concepts you dislike ;)
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Very true! I find that when I'm strength training more often, I'm less stressed. I am now at the point where I love to work out.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I get antsy on my rest day, especially when I've been building my volume getting ready for a race.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would say "restless" is the feeling I get when I have to sit still all day. Sometimes exercise helps if I do it before work, but sometimes it does not, and I still become restless while I am at my desk job.

I would say it helps quite a bit for stress relief. If I am upset about something, I usually don't care about it as much after a workout, and if I happen to think about it while going for a walk, I tend to come up with a good solution.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Biking :heart:

Followed by a niiice, long shower
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! This is actually the primary reason that I work out. It definitely helps ease stress and keep my depression in check. It's the best way to kick off my day :).
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I get antsy on my rest day, especially when I've been building my volume getting ready for a race.

I feel the same!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%!
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been a non smoker for 1.5 years now, which is the same time I have been working out.

It is safe to say I have replaced my nicotine addiction with an endorphin addiction. Exercise makes me feel gooood!!
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Absolutely! This is actually the primary reason that I work out. It definitely helps ease stress and keep my depression in check. It's the best way to kick off my day :).

Ditto!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I look forward to my after-work run all day long - it definitely helps keep me sane!
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Running is free therapy.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I first hopped on the treadmill at the suggestion of a friend (over one year ago) due to high levels of anxiety. It was one of those "seasons" of life that I just kept getting kicked...and I didn't know what to do with all that stress/emotion....

Now, nearly 14 months later, I MISS my work out when I miss my work out!! I can hardly believe it's me, ha ha. I like pretty much any/all form of activity but my go to work out is running. I'm a new runner-since November....and I am definitely loving it.

I sleep better, I feel better, my mood is better, my appetite is manageable (most of the time), so much stress relief-the brain chemicals, (think runners high), the me time.....I look better, which leads to me also feeling better...I could go on and on.

Bottom line, exercise (movement) is the closest thing we actually have to a "magic pill" or "cure all" for what ails us. Honestly.
    I'm living proof.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have been so much more relaxed since I started exercising regularly. I still get stressed, but I don't hit full on panic attack mode like I used to. I love lifting now. It's such a feeling of accomplishment - I feel powerful when I finish, like I can take on the world!
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    Any workout for me is a stress relief. It is the only time of the day that I think of nothing except what I am working on that day. Boxing, running, weightlifting - I am focused. I can be so tired at work or home but as soon as I finish my workout I feel like I can conquer the world. I take one rest day and I am so antsy I can hardly stand it.
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same here - my feelings exactly!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I worked out today after a 5 day break (due to scheduling issues) and felt SO much better. I didn't have time for a full workout, so I ran up and down the stairs in my house for 20 minutes. Even though it wasn't what I normally do, it got my heart pumping and helped me pound out some stress. I'm glad I forced myself off of the couch tonight!