Who knows the answer?

Options
:happy: I walk/jog 3 miles every morning, is it better to do one or the other? I know as long as your doing something it is better than nothing, but I want the best results. Should I walk the whole 3 miles, or jog? Or is it ok to just do both?thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• luvinggal
    luvinggal Posts: 58
    Options
    :happy: I walk/jog 3 miles every morning, is it better to do one or the other? I know as long as your doing something it is better than nothing, but I want the best results. Should I walk the whole 3 miles, or jog? Or is it ok to just do both?thanks :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Jogging will get your heart rate up higher than walking but it can be harder on the hips and knees - maybe a combination of the two.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Actually - it depends somewhat on how/where you are doing it. Outside..jogging would be better. On a treadmill - you can up the incline to the point that your heartrate is just as high, you work just as hard, and your knees suffer less. When my trainer tried to prove the point he had me walked, then upped the incline - I almost passed out!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I like to do intervals of jogging and walking... like two minutes jogging, three minutes walking, back and forth. The yo-yo effect on your heart rate is great for burning calories.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Running burns 50% more calories than walking for the same amount of time but you need to listen to your body and if needed slow down and walk to avoid injuries that may lead to no cardio at all. :drinker:

Walking / running outside is a little harder on the joints but a lot of people feel less stressed after working out outside. Using a treadmill is great if weather prevents you from going outdoors, it is better on your joints because the treadmill absorbs some of the shock and the treadmill offers the ability to increase the incline and to do speedwork or increase your pace without exhausting yourself miles from home! Not to mention using a treadmill allows bathroom breaks and outdoors you are taking your chances :laugh:
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    I can't run for a lot of reasons, the biggest reason being that my heart rate gets higher than my target so I'm not doing any good to myself anyway. If your body can handle it and your heart rate stays on target, I would think alternating both would be good.
  • girlygirl82
    girlygirl82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Running intervals is great for burning more calories like MisoSoup79 said. The key is when you are jogging, to really push your self into a fast jog. Then when you drop back to a walk, that is your time to recover and prepare yourself to pick up the pace again!:tongue: Even 3 minutes of walking, then 1 minute of fast jogging, back to 3 minutes of walking will get your heartrate pumping and the calories burning!!

Good luck and kudos to you for doing that every morning!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical while watching the morning news - 1/2 hour every morning.

It's preprogrammed to work me out with intervals of more effort and intervals of less effort and gives me a super workout. I'd guess that walk/jog would be about the same. Jog 'til you're really panting, then walk 'til you recover, something like that. This kind of program has worked well for me.

BTW - #1 potty breaks while jogging outside are no problem for we country boyz,,, Hehehe :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I like to do intervals of jogging and walking... like two minutes jogging, three minutes walking, back and forth. The yo-yo effect on your heart rate is great for burning calories.

agreed
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    doing both is great for fat burning! doing intervals (switching off) gives you time to rest, so you can work harder during your high-intensity times!
  • gregoryk
    gregoryk Posts: 10
    Options
    The higher your heart rate the more calories you burn. If you want to burn more calories jogging is better than walking. Two cautions, 1. Stop running or jogging if your heart rate gets to high. You can always walk to let it get lower then start back. 2. Do not add miles to quicky. For years I would run in the spring, summer, and fall but do indoor cardio during the 4 coldest months. Every year I would get minor injuries when I first started running because my cardio was good but my body was not ready for the number of miles i would start at. Once I started adding miles slower the minor injuries quit happening. Try not to add more than 10percent to you weekly and/or daily mileage at a time.
  • Petunia_K
    Petunia_K Posts: 35
    Options
    Gotta agree with Miso and others. The interval training you get from walking and jogging can actually keep your heartrate at an average higher rate which will burn more calories, and you may be able to keep it up longer that way which will also burn more calories. Don't forget to add weight training to your workouts, too! :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of jogging and I find that I can get my heart rate just as high by playing with the incline on the treadmill......granted I'm speed walking at 4.5mph tho.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Like others have said doing both is great. I can say that as someone who always walked when I started running that is when my belly shrank. I don't know if it works for everyone but I thought I was doomed to look pregnant forever. At 48 you really don't want people asking you that anymore. That's when I started running.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I would say alternate between jogging and walking and add a few sprints and hills in there.