Most hated exercises (personal trainer induced)

Options
I've been working with a personal trainer for an hour long 2x a week since the beginning of January in addition to my daily workouts. Prior to this, I'd been working out on my own steadily doing runs, fitness boxing, hour long stints at the gym with weights/various machines. Lost about 22 pds on my own & wanted to take it up a notch.

My trainer (whom I love) has relentlessly kicked my butt, which is just what I needed. While I've grown so much since I started working with him in terms of endurance and increasing my strength training with heavier and heavier weights, I can NOT seem to conquer this one thing he has me do regularly, and I absolutely despise it: using a weighted jump rope. I SUCK. I can't go fast at all, it completely wears me out within 5 turns as I struggle to bring the thing over my head, I trip over it, I HATE IT. Anything else he throws at me, I can do it or at least put up with it. But the weighted jump rope?? All day leading up to a training session, I'm saying in my head "mother!#$!#$! he's going to pull that GD rope any minute now...."

*Oh and when I say 'weighted jump rope', I'm not talking about those cute ones with slightly heavier handles that you can buy at Target for $9.99. I'm talking about the thick rubber ones that look like this:
http://www.fogdog.com/graphics/product_images/p735340reg.jpg

Anyone else have any specific exercise that is still beating them even after repeated efforts??

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    LUNGES in any form or fashion......especially the Mary Katherine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Jump pullups. Stand underneath a pullup bar, jump up and in a continuous motion do a pull up as high as you can, then let go, hit the floor and repeat 9-11 more times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrosem87
    mrosem87 Posts: 31
    Options
    all forms of push-ups (diamond, military, one arm, etc.) ugh! =( I can do modified versions (knees on the floor) but I can't wait until I don't need to resort to that. =)
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to refer to my PT as DSH, Demon Spawn from Hell, but you know, in a good way . . . :wink:

She has me do something she calls a caterpillar. I stand in front of the matt, bend over and put my hands on the floor, walk my hands away from my feet until i'm in the plank position, hold the position for a beat, then walk my hands back to my feet and stand up. Repeat for 12-15 reps, 3 times. Ugh!! My legs will kill me for days. Last time, the day after the session i had a 15 hour flight. Never again! My legs were stiff and crampy for 3 days after!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Burpees. I hate them. I do them, but I hate them.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mountain Climbers.

My old trainer made me do them all the time. I told my new trainer I would do ANY exercise he asked me to do, except mountain climbers. He agreed to never make me do them. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i hate squat jump backs just as much as my clients i train do that & planks to extended sometimes still get me as well.

i run sprints and can do quick things but those and sometimes mountain climbers still get me!

its a hate love relationship.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    This!!! I used to hate squats, but now love em. Used to hate lunges, but now love/hate them. Used to hate running, but now tolerate it. I HATE burpees and that wont ever change!!! Until it does, lol.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My clients hate it when I have them do a burpee to a pullup Bwahahaha!
  • eljulia
    eljulia Posts: 40
    Options
    i hate anything involving balancing on a Bozu! (i'm lame!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Mountain Climbers.

My old trainer made me do them all the time. I told my new trainer I would do ANY exercise he asked me to do, except mountain climbers. He agreed to never make me do them. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have had you doing Reverse jacks with double jump tucks then. You would be begging for mountain climbers instead!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Any exercise thats uncomfortable when you have boobs. Jumping jacks, jump rope, jump and whatever other combined movement the instructor has decided. I loathe all of them and it makes me miserable. I hear some people wear like two sports bras so maybe that would work. Nothing makes me feel more like I am making a complete scene than uncontrolled boobs.

Last time a instructor tried to get me to do them I absolutely refused (and gave my reasons), he was really insistent. Why would you want to ambarrass a client? Surely there are other exercise options that will still have me meet a fitness goal.
    Exercises I like -squats and lunges and pretty well anything else.

My absolute favorite that I couldn't wait to do 4 sets of 20? These -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0XBh5KcQo

I loved the feeling of exertion and trying to punch as hard as I could while tensing the abs on the up crunch
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    This, this and this!!!!:noway:
  • LadyConundra
    LadyConundra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mountain Climbers and Burpees are all exercises straight from Hell. I do them again and again and again and again. Oh and the leg extension machine. My trainer loves to have me do that machine cause he knows it is the only thing that burns my legs out. My legs rarely get sore nothing matter what He or I try to do to them. He refers to my legs as 'freak legs'.
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't know what this hell exercise is called. But between this and wall walks, I prefer wall walks.. and I hate wall walks.

It starts like a wall walk, where your hands are on the floor and you walk your feet up a wall. But instead of being vertical, you're more at a 45 degree angle and then you kind of run on the spot, against the wall, while kind of upside down.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mountain Climbers.

I would have had you doing Reverse jacks with double jump tucks then. You would be begging for mountain climbers instead!!!

IDEA Fitness member

Maybe... but I don't even know what that means! So maybe not.

Really, it wasn't the EXERCISE that I hated so much, it was that my shirt would always rise up and then my belly would show. So I was always having to tuck my shirt in and even then it usually got loose. Which is kind of embarrassing in a gym full of people.

I also think they are poorly named. I've climbed plenty of mountains, and they are NOTHING like climbing a mountain. Hahaha.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    8 count bodybuilders, It's burpees on steroids. When youre in plank position spread your legs, bring them together, do a push up then finish doing your burpee with a 360 spin. Fun it is not!

Edit: the 360 spin is done to make sure you jump high enough and aren't halfa$$ing it at the end.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I actually like burpees and mountain climbers. I REALLY dislike running, though. Yet I'm training for a half marathon. Go figure.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Anything that works your back and shoulders I'd imagine would be a huge help! Its your strength and stamina concerning the upper body pulling it up... thats probably where your body is lacking!
  • mikehorn91
    mikehorn91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Burpees and Mountain Climbers certainly rank high on the list. But I think my least favorite is either a basic lunge, or planking. Lunges kill me in that I have no balance really anymore and my legs haven't gotten built to hold my weight well yet that way. Planking kills my core for like 3 days haha.

But they all feel good in the long run :)