Question for the "runners"

Options
My goal is to be able to run a 5K marathon.
Right now, I am is walking .25 miles at 3.5mph, then jogging 4.7mph for 2 miles, then walking .75miles at 3.5mph, for a total of 3 miles.

At this point... is it best to work on my speed doing the 2 miles? or my endurance to jog the entire 3 miles??

Alson, any suggestions on running sneakers?

thanks for your help

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's always best to focus on endurance first. Speed can come later. You may want to try a plan that has you doing more run/walk intervals (ie, 4 min walk, 2 min run, 4 walk, etc). In terms of shoes, it really depends on your stride and your foot, etc...if you are going to get in to running, you will probably be best served getting fitted for shoes at a running store.
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options
    Have you looked at the Couch to 5 K running plan (C25K)? There's a C25K group on here where you could probably get a lot of support.

Here's a link to the website for C25K:

http://www.c25k.com/
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it's always best to focus on endurance first. Speed can come later. You may want to try a plan that has you doing more run/walk intervals (ie, 4 min walk, 2 min run, 4 walk, etc). In terms of shoes, it really depends on your stride and your foot, etc...if you are going to get in to running, you will probably be best served getting fitted for shoes at a running store.

Well said. I will add that you will find your speed will gradually increase with your endurance.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    When I first started I focused on endurance first and then speed.

Asics work well for me but it is best to get properly fitted at a running store.
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

^^^ Link to C25K MFP group in case you want it.
    And also well done, sounds to me that your doing really well.
  • shanahtehya
    shanahtehya Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thanks for your help! i will check that out!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    A quick fact check for you: there's no such thing as a 5K marathon. A 5K is a race that is 5 kilometers long. A marathon is a race that is 26.2 miles long. So yeah, no 5K marathon. Just some running knowledge.

C25K is a great starting program that will get you to the starting line of your first 5K ready to go. When doing the program, make sure you are running slowly enough so you can maintain running for as long as the interval lasts. Many people start out going much too fast and want to know why they are huffing and puffing in 30 seconds. It's running, not sprinting.

Good luck!