Bananas and "natural" sugar-should I feel guilty?

Options

Replies

• 2befit2
    2befit2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just have banana with my steel cut oats, yumm:blushing:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are things i don't worry about in terms of sugars and carbs. If I did, Id never eat them. I average nearly 100g of carbs a day just in fruits and veggies. I dont track my sugar so Idk where Im at there.. I eat a banana everyday!!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Bananas killed my parents when I was a boy. Now, I patrol the streets of Gotham at night and vow to avenge their deaths by fighting bananas wherever I find them.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This just confuses me, surely fruit and vegetables are far better for you than the junk that we consumed before getting here and form part of a healthy balanced diet? I don't think I am going to stress too much over this as I think that everything is fine in moderation.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If I have cereal in the morning I almost always have it topped with a chopped banana - porridge, muesli, weetabix - LOVE them. Wouldn't eat 10 of them in a day though, one or 2 is fine :smile:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you can't eat natural foods that are unprocessed wtf can you eat? Just eat the banana. Like everything, use moderation. Don't eat 6 bananas in one sitting, etc.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for not eating them, you shouldn't feel guilty for eating any foods. Bananas have protein and potassium along with sugars and carbs, and are a good source of energy. Just like everything else, it is about portions.

Now, if you are eating ten bananas as a snack that's a different discussion entirely.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Unless you have really bad problems with carbs, (e.g. insulin resistance etc) then don't worry about them. Just make sure you log them so you don't go over your daily calorie allowance. You can gain weight eating healthy food if you eat more than you burn off that's why it's important to log all your calories. Some people's bodies don't react well even to healthy carbs, so those people might do better to be careful about the sugars in fruit. However if you're not getting problems with blood sugar etc from eating bananas or other whole fruit, then eat them and enjoy them and log them in your diary :)

I don't agree with people saying it's just as bad as eating refined sugar etc. It's not. Fruit is full of all kinds of vitamins and minerals and eating whole fruit can help keep you feeling full so you end up feeling full on fewer calories compared to many other kinds of foods.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    is this a joke?

why would you feel bad about eating a banana. Get real...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This just confuses me, surely fruit and vegetables are far better for you than the junk that we consumed before getting here and form part of a healthy balanced diet? I don't think I am going to stress too much over this as I think that everything is fine in moderation.
    What's confusing? You seem to understand perfectly well.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the feeling of guilt associated with eating anything. Okay, well maybe eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting, but that guilt only lasts so long...
    Considering that bananas are one of the very few fruits I eat I don't even worry about the sugar in it...it's not processed and doesn't have anything added to it so why worry.
  • krizstyling
    krizstyling Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. Have you ever heard of anyone gaining weight from eating fruit?
    Fruit is just as detrimental to weight loss as any type of food. Have you ever heard of anyone gaining weight from eating pizza? I doubt it. Most people do not eat a diet of one single food so you aren't going to hear of people gaining from eating a particular thing. We gain weight when we eat too many calories, no matter what they are from.

Actuallly...Arthur From biggest loser would eat two pizzas every night...he pretty much gained his weight from the horrible diet of pizzas. But I get your point. But a banana every morning is NOT detrimental to weight loss...
  • BeautEvilKells
    BeautEvilKells Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No, don't feel guilty! We are SUPPOSED to eat our fruits and veggies. Of course we don't want to overindulge on anything, but people are starting to put way too much emphasis on sugar intake here. If you start eating bananas 2 at a time, that probably isn't wise, aside from that - ENJOY! Bananas shouldn't be tossed into the mix with ice-cream & candy bars simply for having sugar...the latter 2 are also basically void of any nutrients. I know we all see our numbers on here, but come on people, we can still remember what they taught us in school about healthy eating. Right?
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. Have you ever heard of anyone gaining weight from eating fruit?

I added fruit to my diet and gained weight. It was the only change I made to my diet as I was trying to eat healthier so I know it was the fruit. I now alternate and have a banana every other day or only 1/2 a banana. Cantelope/melon and grapes are also high in sugars so I eat them in moderation.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the best

need more proof: http://bananasweb.com/health-benefits-of-bananas
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm...bananas......oh wait, what were we talking about?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think the guilt is more detrimental than the sugar regardless of whether it comes from fruit or ice cream.
    I agree. I don't have feelings about bananas. I just think they are tasty and nutritious, and I eat them.
    Yeah I'm going to agree with both of these. If eating a particular food makes you feel guilty, then you have a pretty unhealthy relationship with food.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Love bananas. :) Great way to get in potassium. There are low sugar fruits out there though if you're worried about it. :heart:

Watermelon actually isn't too bad, and most berries are low in sugar as well.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I don't eat a lot of fruit unless it's a berry, but I love me some bananas! And fresh pineapple... mmmm :) If you're not a diabetic, eat up!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    No, do not feel guilty. Fruit is good for you, but just like everything else, moderation is key!