Night Eating

Options
I stay up very late most nights, and have struggled with night eating all my life. I know the simple answer is to go to bed earlier, but I have mild insomnia that will literally, no matter how tired I am, keep my awake as I lay in bed with my eyes shut. I'm just wondering if anyone has some advice to help kick this habit because it's really killing my weight loss progress.

Replies

• taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    im the same way, i dont try to go to bed until about midnight and am up around 5 but wake up often. have you tried tea or anything? as far as the eating goes i do it as well, however as long as your calories are still in a deficit range it doesnt matter what time you eat. your body doesnt know night and day just totals. so try looking at it from that aspect. otherwise ive been shutting down say tv phones computer at an earlier time, i read the light from the electronics stimulates the brain to stay awake.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Rather than going to bed earlier, you may be more successful staying up later until you work your bedtime around 24 hours. Schedule your eating at times that make sense for the schedule you're on. Or move to New Zealand.
  • angelwings38
    Options
    Google "Night Eating Syndrome". You will find some good information, especially from some good research done at the University of Pennsylvania. Several years ago, I realized that I fit into the description and decided to try the recommended treatment of zoloft. It worked like magic and I no longer get up at night and eat. Within several months I lost about 20 pounds. While I have never regained those pounds, I am stuck at a plateau now and am working on other methods to take it off, but as long as I take the very, very small dose of zoloft, I do not eat at night.

One other point, I do find it useful to have a light snack before going to bed, since I usually eat an early dinner.