Late Night Eating - Is it REALLY that bad?

Options
How important is it really to avoid eating after 9PM? Is this an arbitrary rule? I often do not have the opportunity work out until late in the evening, and my body is craving calorie and nutrient replenishment afterwards. If I do not eat, I am well under my calorie goal for the day by an unhealthy amount. A lot of noise gets thrown around about the negative affects of late night eating, but I am still reaching my weight loss goals and staying within my set calorie range despite having 300-450 cal meals after 9 or 10 PM. My personal experience has been that this is a bunk theory. Anyone have any useful color on this subject? Thank you!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    timing is totally irrelvant. eat when its convenient. if that means just before bed, so be it.

check out ALan Aragon
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am pretty confident that it's crap. Just don't eat right before bed because it could lead to GERD. I try to give about an hour before I lay down.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    no, it's not bad.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    depends on the lifestyle... if you are tracking then it's not so critical
    and as a comfort thing.. if you feel uncomfortable in bed because you're full then eat earlier..or whatever ...
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am pretty confident that it's crap. Just don't eat right before bed because it could lead to GERD. I try to give about an hour before I lay down.

It doesn't matter when you eat. But it's true that it could lead to GERD. I got diagnosed with GERD in my junior year of college. They said it was stress and eating habits (eating all throughout the night while studying). But as far as weight loss goes, it really doesn't matter.
  • deemarie1
    deemarie1 Posts: 11
    Options
    It is bunk. You don't want to stuff yourself then go to bed because that is just uncomfortable and is not condusive to a good nights sleep, however recent studies have shown that eating after 8 or 9 is fine as long as it is moderate and you are not laying down on a full stomach which could cause acid reflux or discomfort in some people. As a diabetic, I eat an orange and an oz of cheese just before bed to get me through to the morning and I'm losing weight just fine. I have a nephew that eats all his calories just before bed. Because of medication he takes during the day, it robs him of his appetite and he is never hungry until a few hours after his last dose at 6pm and he is as thin as a rail. Doctor and the nutritionist says its fine as long as he gets enough calories from day to day. He is lucky he doesn't have problems sleeping on an full stomach but other than that possiblity it won't kill you and if you are losing regardless of when you eat your last meal of the day, it doesn't matter.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i work from 4-11:15 pm most days so i tend to eat late too...and ive still lost 13 pounds so far.
  • michael300891
    Options
    timing is totally irrelvant. eat when its convenient. if that means just before bed, so be it.

check out ALan Aragon

Although I dont agree its TOTALLY irrelevant, it isnt a significant problem. Also, assuming nutrient timing is important, the most important time of the day to eat is after your workout so definately make sure your eating after your gym session. =)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone that's it's not bad at all. I once came home after a late night gym session, ate a cupcake from a local bakery, showered and went straight to bed. Woke up the next morning and showed a loss on the scale. I rarely go more than two hours without eating while I'm awake, I sleep for 5-8 hours. I don't see any issues with eating close to the start of that time. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Totally arbitrary. I'm usually stuffinf my face right before bed.

The reason most people avoid it, is because they've eaten enough or have already over eaten all day long and eating late at night just adds to it.

But if you haven't eaten enough all day, then by all means get what you need regardless of how late it is.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you are training, its actually better to eat late at night rather than in the morning. Why? Because thats when your body does most of its active repairing
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

check out ALan Aragon

Although I dont agree its TOTALLY irrelevant, it isnt a significant problem. Also, assuming nutrient timing is important, the most important time of the day to eat is after your workout so definately make sure your eating after your gym session. =)

How long do i have to eat after my workout, 15-45 min?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    i work from 4-11:15 pm most days so i tend to eat late too...and ive still lost 13 pounds so far.

I work 11pm-7am. I eat at all kinds of strange hours and have lost just fine. it only matters if it disrupts your sleep.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I echo the sentiments that timing is irrelevant. Total calories by the end of the day is what matters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some people say that we are more likely to fall into bad snacking habits late at night than we are during the day, and so I think that's another reason this myth perpetuates. If you are able to continue picking healthy snacks and not over-do portions late at night, I don't see the problem.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't that bad.

It isn't about WHEN you eat, but WHAT you are eating. Most people will admit that they tend to snack later at night - while watching tv, reading a book, etc. They tend to snack on chips, cookies, ice cream, etc. These snacks can be what pushes your daily calories over - which leads to weight gain. It doesn't matter what time you eat, it matters what you're eating.

Your body doesn't stop digesting food simply because you are sleeping!

I'm notorious for consuming 1000+ calories less than a couple hours before I go to bed. Lost 60lbs. Kept it off for 18+ months. Plus, for me? When I don't eat something before bed I will wake up in the middle of the night so hungry that I'll go on a massive binge. Better to eat something before bed, than consume an entire box of cookies in the middle of the night, no?
  • desantaclause
    desantaclause Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!
    Best,
    E
  • calaire
    calaire Posts: 1
    Options
    it's irrelevant what time you eat. all that matters is number of calories. eating late at night only makes you gain weight if you've already had a sufficient number of calories during the day. if you eat less during the day, it's ok to eat late. i do it all the time
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter when u eat as long as you stay within your calorie limit , i work nights , so have to eat then .... dont worry so much and good luck