so how many calories do i burn being a nurse ?

Options
as any other person in the profession would know and tell you, us floor nurses are constantly on the floor, running behind residents with dementia, constantly on our feet. Nursing needs to be listed as an exercise in my opinion. so i been adding walking for so many minutes daily to my exercise diary, another app actually calculates the amount of calories burned while standing, desk work etc.. any suggestions on improving the accuracy of my daily exercise calories?

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    as any other person in the profession would know and tell you, us floor nurses are constantly on the floor, running behind residents with dementia, constantly on our feet. Nursing needs to be listed as an exercise in my opinion. so i been adding walking for so many minutes daily to my exercise diary, another app actually calculates the amount of calories burned while standing, desk work etc.. any suggestions on improving the accuracy of my daily exercise calories?

You do not need to count everyday activity as exercise, this would be WAY too complicated.

Set your activity level to the appropriate value and log additional exercise.
  • sproeber89
    Options
    I'm a floor nurse and never log my shifts as exercise, some do, I chose not to. It's my daily life therefore my body is used to it. I only track my workouts that I do before and after work. Hope that helps.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I worked a med/surg floor the hospital gave us pedometer's so we could track how many steps we were taking. Mine was always in the 15,000 range, but we had a huge floor, and it had 4 halls.

Maybe something like this could help.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a floor nurse and never log my shifts as exercise, some do, I chose not to. It's my daily life therefore my body is used to it. I only track my workouts that I do before and after work. Hope that helps.
    \
    When I was working as a teaching RN, I used to tell my clients the same thing. The men would say "I walk all over the place and lift a million pounds a day. I have exercised."

My answer? If you were exercising that much every day, how come you weigh 315? You do that EVERY day, so your body is used to it. Walk an extra 15 minutes after work, or on your lunch break, and then, you can call it exercise.

It never failed to work.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

You do not need to count everyday activity as exercise, this would be WAY too complicated.

Set your activity level to the appropriate value and log additional exercise.

Agree. You need to set your profile to either lightly active or highly active rather than log it all separately. I had a look, but can't find where you need to change this setting! Anyone else? i know it's somewhere!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    its under settings

my home > settings > update diet/profile

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

the differecne between Sedentary and Light activity is a few hundred Cals for me ....
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm also a nurse who works in a dementia unit, but never count a shift as exercise. I only log actually gym workouts or training with my PT.
  • Strawberry_Kitten
    Options
    I set my activity level appropriately.
  • LadyPenelopePink
    Options
    I work in a busy emergency dept as a staff nurse but do just 2 13 hour shifts a week, ( have 3 kids 7 and under so a busy mum) if I've had a typical shift with little or no breaks and been on my feet ALL the shift I tend to add a 30-50 min walk as exercise and up my cals by 100-200, not sure if this is right to do but I do it :)