My EPIC NSV!

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
This may not thrill all of you but I'm so happy I'm sharing with the class anyway!

I've been doing Taekwondo for about three years. When I started I developed shin splints and my knees have always been tweaky so for the past three years I have wrapped my shins in ace bandages and worn knee braces on both knees. My hope was that over time they would strengthen and I would grow out of the need for the wraps. It just didn't happen.

About a year ago I decided to do P90X at home in addition to the TKD because I figured pushing myself would make me stronger, which would make my TKD better. I was right and it did. I got MUCH better at it! But I still needed those darn braces and wraps. Jumping kicks would always, ALWAYS make my shins yell at me. And getting very deep into my stances was always difficult on my knees. I would have to be very careful about how I was standing and even with that and the braces every now and then a knee would get a twinge that caused me to immediately stop whatever I was doing out of fear of something worse happening. And often they would ache during the day when I wasn't exercising.

But tonight I DID THE ENTIRE CLASS WITH NO WRAPS AND NO BRACES AND FELT NO PAIN! NO TWINGES! NO WEIRDNESS OR CATCHING!!! My knees felt strong and sturdy all through class, even with pivots!

What happened? I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women for several weeks (just started stage two yesterday). Those squats, lunges and dead lifts have made my legs (and more importantly the muscles surrounding my knees) rock solid and strong! I can't tell you how excited I am by this! I had pretty much given up on ever seeing improvement, let alone being pain free!

I do have to mention that because of my past knee problems I have been extremely vigilant about my form for all exercises so I don't do worse damage. When I was looking into doing NROL4W I researched whether it would be safe for me and found that the squats and lunges can be either your best friend or your worst enemy when it comes to the knees, depending on your form.

I am thrilled with the strength and stability I've gained over the last year and can't wait to see where I'm at physically this time next year! Yay me! :)

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Squats always make me nervous because I'm never sure if I'm doing them right.
  • mousecat84
    Options
    That is really amazing! Congratulations! :D
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have knee and joint problems too . I hope like you I can strengthen them like you. Thanks for sharing.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who also has knee problems (grinding due to cartilage breaking down) - I can relate. That is a HUGE NSV and I'm so happy for you! Thanks for sharing because there are so many workouts, dvd's out there and we all like to hear what works and why better for some. Good for you, keep up the fantastic work!!
  • jenniakers
    Options
    I have big knee problems as well. I might have to check out New Rules of Lifting for Women and try to strengthen those muscles a bit more.
    Congrats on your strong, painfree, powerful legs! :drinker:
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    That's awesome to hear! I tend to lack a little when it comes to doing strength exercises, but your post has made me think I should start doing some! Keep up the great work!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    That is a HUGE NSV. Epic is the right word! Congrats!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I struggle with knee weakness too, and someone told me that most of the pain during exercise isn't because of your knees, it's because your upper legs aren't strong enough. So I started working on legs and I'm noticing differences!

Very proud of you, way to go!!!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!!! Way to go rock star!!!!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    oh man I'll have to check that out, I've been seeing the physio as I started running in October and got knee pain just before Christmas. the knees are ok but because I overpronate and have weedy hips and buttocks, and the thigh muscles aren't strong enough, the pressure was pushed onto the knees. the physio so far seems to be making things WORSE if anything, so I'm feeling quite discouraged... until I read this. So thanks for the hint!

how long did it take for you to notice an improvement? I know they say it takes about 3 months for muscles to change?
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is OUTSTANDING... we want pictures of those jump kicks! ;)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    oh man I'll have to check that out, I've been seeing the physio as I started running in October and got knee pain just before Christmas. the knees are ok but because I overpronate and have weedy hips and buttocks, and the thigh muscles aren't strong enough, the pressure was pushed onto the knees. the physio so far seems to be making things WORSE if anything, so I'm feeling quite discouraged... until I read this. So thanks for the hint!

how long did it take for you to notice an improvement? I know they say it takes about 3 months for muscles to change?

I began getting stronger through the P90X workouts but what really made the difference was the New Rules. I've been gaining strength over the last year but the last six weeks is when I've really noticed the difference. The thing about squats and dead lifts is they work the whole body. So not only has it been working my legs (front and back) but my hips, core and back as well. If you were to look at an anatomy chart and see how your muscles run through your body you would really begin to see how strengthening the hips or core can have an impact on your knees. (I've learned so much more about my body since beginning this weight lifting thing!)

With squats, dead lifts and lunges form will be key. If you do them incorrectly you can cause yourself more issues but done right they can be magical! :) If you don't have access to a personal trainer there are tons of online videos that can help. stronglifts.com is one of my favorite for instruction and info. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!