Pristiq/effexor or other SNRIs?

Options
Does anyone here currently take SNRI medication (Pristiq, effexor, wellbutrin, etc)? My doctor may be prescribing me an SNRI and because I stopped taking an SSRI after steadily gaining weight for 4 years (among other reasons), I'm super hesitant to try anything else in the anti-depressant family. However, I've heard SNRI's are different - if you take one, have you noticed a weight gain or a weight loss associated with taking the meds? Increase or decrease in hunger?

Curious. Please advise. Thanks!

Replies

• Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    Ive taken effexor extended release and while it didn't help a whole lot for my depression it helped my anxiety which then made my depression lesson. I lost some weight on it, because it increased my energy and made my stomach queasy for the first month or two.
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been on 50mg of Pristiq for nearly two months, I have gained weight, but only because of poor diet and little to no exercise (Which im changing now!)....from what I read about pristiq, most people seemed to lose weight on it/have decreased appetite, which to be honest was a small incentive for me agreeing to go on it...but I haven't had that, if anything I've been more hungry (added to the fact its done nothing to help my mood..eugh)

Its really complicated, and everyone is different. I've had some really bad experiences with so many different anti deppressants and my weight has fluctuated like crazy over the years because of it. But sometimes you have to put your mental health ahead of your weight. And if you get the right medication for you, you might have more energy to work out and end up losing weight anyway :)

I really hope things work out for you! good luck :)
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I have been taking effexor for about 5 months. It dramatically decreased my appetite for the first month, and it did make me queasy for a few days. Everyone is different, but it took my body a little while to adjust to it, but overall I have had fantastic results. I haven't gained a pound from being on it. and if anything my appetite still is lower than it used to be. I used to have binge episodes regularly and I rarely, if ever, have the urge to do so anymore. My doctor specifically prescribed effexor because I was scared of gaining weight. Good luck to you!
  • sascassy
    sascassy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor for 3 years. The first month or so I actually lost weight (mainly from nausea and dizziness) but then the cravings and increased appetite started. I gained 25 pounds on the drug and since being off of it (only 3 months ago), despite regular intense aerobic and strength training, and a healthy diet, I have not been able to lose even 1 pound. Effexor had so many side effects for me that it wasn't worth staying on the medication.