Heart Rate Question

Options
Three months ago I have started exercising and dieting. I do cardio 3-4 times a week by running on the treadmill at 4.9 mph. At first it was very hard. I started at 4.5 and I could barely run 5 mins without having to slow down to a 2.5 pace to catch my breath. Now I can run for 30 min without stopping. However, I turn BRIGHT red in the face and my heart rate gets up to about 180. I don't get dizzy or light headed. I TRY to drink at least 64oz of water a day but most days I drink about 50oz. Should I be concerned about my high heart rate and bright red face???

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Well they say that you should consult a doctor before starting any new type of exercise, have you?
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi

that sounds just like me...I have a bright pink t-shirt and my face matches it after 30 mins on the elliptical and my hr goes up to 180 and stays there...but it is taking less time to come down now.

martyxxx
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get the same way, but I don't find that it lasts very long.
    I don't think it's anything to worry about, it's just your bodies way of loosing the heat. I'm getting a cold person in my hands and toes but get very hot when I exercise. Are you like that?
    But I have known my heart rate to reach 190 (I'm 27) on the X-trainer doing around 20km/hr... I was working hard but not sure if the machine was as accurate as you may think.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    my HR goes up to 193 when I work out really hard. I turn read, sweat a lot, ect
    If you fell well, and if it goes down once you stop, then nothing to worry, I think
  • rocmel
    rocmel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is a bit different, depending on your age...but i'm 34, and whenever my heart rate goes above 170, the little red window comes on the machine i'm working on as a warning....to say slow down a bit. I get red-faced too though.... :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If you know you are healthy enough for strenuous exercise then you should be fine. If you are not sure the gym is not the place to find out. I would not trust any of those yahoos that work there to save my life if I keel over. : )

The formula for finding out your max heart rate is 220 - your age.

I am 35 so mine is 185. I do 20 minutes of very strenuous cardio and try to keep my heart rate between 165-175.
  • sweetie1980
    Options
    Well they say that you should consult a doctor before starting any new type of exercise, have you?

I have talked to my doctor before about losing weight and he gave me some helpful tips. I am no stranger to working out though. I was in the army for 4 years and was in pretty good shape. But that was also 10 years ago. I will talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment.
  • sweetie1980
    Options
    my HR goes up to 193 when I work out really hard. I turn read, sweat a lot, ect
    If you fell well, and if it goes down once you stop, then nothing to worry, I think

Thanks!:happy: Now I'm not so worried anymore. My heart rate does go down after I stop. After about 15 mins my heart rate is back to normal but my face is still flushed.
  • Nnekaschild
    Nnekaschild Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you know you are healthy enough for strenuous exercise then you should be fine. If you are not sure the gym is not the place to find out. I would not trust any of those yahoos that work there to save my life if I keel over. : )

The formula for finding out your max heart rate is 220 - your age.

I am 35 so mine is 185. I do 20 minutes of very strenuous cardio and try to keep my heart rate between 165-175.

That formula for max heart rate is way off. I know its the standard one but it is very inaccurate. According to that formula, my max heart rate is 190. Well, my heart rate has been 193 before and it was still pumping so there's no way 190 is my max heart rate.

People tend to underestimate their max heart rate and lower the intensity of their exercise as to stay with the fat burning zone. I say just go as hard as you can.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is similar...not 3-4 minutes into most workouts and my heart rate is at the very least up to 170, lol. I thought it would change as time has went on..but 9 weeks later, and with increasing workouts, or even at the same, it still does this. Often during my cardio it will be hovering around 186.

I did have an EKG done to make sure nothing was wrong, because I'm paranoid, and also, because I have a history of seizures wanted to be sure that high of a heart rate wasn't going to trigger one or anything.. Everything checked out ok. My resting heart rate is pretty low, and even lower since I am more in shape. My working out one remains high, but that's fine since I know nothing is wrong medically. I just take it as a sign I am working hard!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    When I run my heart rate goes up to the 180s and stays there the entire run, so that I might have done a 50 minute run and have an average in the low 180s. If I add in any sprinting, steep hills, or stairs into my run I am up to 190-193.

As long as you feel physically well at that heart rate (ie not feeling dizzy or faint), don't worry about it.
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I say just go as hard as you can.
    Going as hard as you can does have the possibility of making you pass out, though. The very first time I ever did a hard workout in my life was on a spin bike and when I reached 192, that happened to me and it's the only time in my entire 29 years that I've ever blacked out. I was extremely out of shape; if someone says "I hit 193 and I'm fine" it is all relative to the person. There is a very good chance that you could pass out if you over-do it, as someone suggested I would listen to your body. If you think you need to back it off a bit, is there really any harm in doing so? Also, the more you accustom your body to working out/ running, and the better foods you eat, etc - the HR you are able to push yourself up to during strenuous exercise will go down as will your resting HR. In effect it'll be harder to reach such numbers as you get in better shape.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    That formula for max heart rate is way off. I know its the standard one but it is very inaccurate. According to that formula, my max heart rate is 190. Well, my heart rate has been 193 before and it was still pumping so there's no way 190 is my max heart rate.

People tend to underestimate their max heart rate and lower the intensity of their exercise as to stay with the fat burning zone. I say just go as hard as you can.

So, becuase you didnt die for going over by three bpm you think the formula is inaccurate? LOL Ok.

Im sure the "max" heart rate is not as literal as that but is a guideline for the average person to know an upper limit. Most people at the gym see that bunk "FAT BURNING ZONE" chart on their equipment and never push themselves above 60-80% of their "max" heart rate. Others have no idea what their bodies can handle and might over do it.

220 - (your age) is a good guideline until you know your body better.