No excercise, No sleep?

Options
aerome
aerome Posts: 171 Member
Before I started exercising, I would say I slept okay-some nights better than others.

But now, on nights when I exercise I sleep like a total baby. The only bad side is, if I take a day off from exercising (it's good to do that about once a week or so to let your body recover, ya know :wink: ) I cannot sleep at ALL. I just lay in bed. Awake. For hours. And then I consider getting up and working out at 2 am because maybe I could sleep afterward.

I know, easy solution-just exercise everyday! But some days it's really difficult for me to work it in because I'm so busy. I know some of you might argue with me, but I'm not going to go into my personal daily schedule on here so that you'll believe that I don't have a lot of time. I am a student, after all.

Anywho, I was just wondering: do any of you have the same problem? Other than the already mentioned solution and narcotics, do you have any ideas how to help?

Replies

• aerome
    Options
    Before I started exercising, I would say I slept okay-some nights better than others.

But now, on nights when I exercise I sleep like a total baby. The only bad side is, if I take a day off from exercising (it's good to do that about once a week or so to let your body recover, ya know :wink: ) I cannot sleep at ALL. I just lay in bed. Awake. For hours. And then I consider getting up and working out at 2 am because maybe I could sleep afterward.

I know, easy solution-just exercise everyday! But some days it's really difficult for me to work it in because I'm so busy. I know some of you might argue with me, but I'm not going to go into my personal daily schedule on here so that you'll believe that I don't have a lot of time. I am a student, after all.

Anywho, I was just wondering: do any of you have the same problem? Other than the already mentioned solution and narcotics, do you have any ideas how to help?
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

My body reacts the opposite, if I exercise, especially after around 6 in the evening, i'm done, can't sleep, get the leg fidgets going on...:laugh: and since I run my own studio, I can't change my vening ladies classes to days to accomodate my lack of sleep! lol.....help us out MFP peeps!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I understand some -I have a harder time sleeping when I take a day off of exercise now. Maybe on those days you can't fit a whole routine in, can you squeeze in a couple of 10 or 15 minute walks?? Or some 5 - 10 minute sets of squats, arm work with hand weights, lunges, etc.?? Only thing I got for ya! Hope you get some ideas you can use.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning. I work from home so can pretty much exercise when I want. I don't have sleep problems per say when I don't exercise but I do get really weird dreams if I skip a day. I don't and haven't slept well for 20+ years (I blame it on motherhood :laugh: ) but tend to be more restless and have the dreams if I don't exercise.
  • wmcnicol
    wmcnicol Posts: 144
    Options
    oh man i totally have the same problem. On nights I work out I am in bed by 11 snoozing away. If I don't work out it is usually around 2 or so when I finally drift off. so i feel your pain. lol
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    For me exercise can be a form of stress relief. So if I me stressed on non-exercise days I don't get that outlet and am still hyped. But that could be just me. I started doing a light belly-dance yoga on days off.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Take about 10 to 15 minutes to unwind from your day on the days you don't work out. Write in a journal, a blog, etc. If you're feeling like you have a lot to do, make yourself a to-do list so that you know you aren't going to forget anything. Sit in silence or with some relaxing music and just meditate. Focus on breathing and being relaxed. Like ivy said, exercise is often a great form of stress relief so maybe your mind just needs a little coddling to get to the sleepy point on the days you don't work out!

Before you try narcotics, my OB told me to take a half to whole dose of benadryl while I was pregnant and having sleeping problems. It didn't work for me but many people have told me it will knock them out or at least help set them in that direction. I'd recommend four ounces of your favorite alcohol but I'm not sure if you're of legal drinking age yet... just another mechanism to help you unwind from the day! If you do drink, sip it nice and slowly and relax! No TV and no computer!

If all else fails, I have a WILDLY intriguing text book that will likely put you to sleep in minutes. I know it puts me out every time I try to study!!! :tongue: Seriously, I wish you many ZZZzzzzZZZ's!
  • jcarter0525
    jcarter0525 Posts: 84
    Options
    I would say the same thing as the person previously said. Try some meditation exercises or light yoga. Your mind probably needs to just relax.
    As far as narcotics, when I was pregnant and couldn't sleep, I took Tylenol PM's. They're not habit forming and they worked great for me. I don't have any problems with sleep now because I take a migraine pill that puts me out at night.
    Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stretching or yoga on the days you don't work out. I have to keep moving somehow or I don't move at all, hehe.
  • aerome
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: I think I'll try the yoga and stretching. Does anyone know of a good yoga DVD or anything like that for instruction?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: I think I'll try the yoga and stretching. Does anyone know of a good yoga DVD or anything like that for instruction?

Classical Stretch has done wonders with my flexibility.

As for yoga instruction, check out Yoga Zone ... any of their beginner stuff. Even Total Body Conditioning for Beginners is pretty gentle. There's also one for Flexibility and another for Conditioning and Stress Release ... whichever sounds better to you.