Race For Life Training

Options
I am training for Race For Life on 17 June this year. I have done this on previous occasions but wanted to this year RUN all the way (5k). Doing it in memory of family friends, and also know 3 others fighting cancer.

Tried this app for the first time last year but lost motivation. Come back for second helpings lol. Determined to succeed.
Anyone else doing Race For Life in uk?

Replies

• SheenaDuguid
    SheenaDuguid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely thinking about it - has registration opened?

You've got plenty of time to train - just believe in yourself - a fantastic cause.

I've ran the race for life before - and I have to say i was in tears reading everyones stories on their backs.

made me more determined.

Good Luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • sams247
    sams247 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did this a couple of years ago, walked the whole way on the hottest day of the year and was pleased to do it in an hour. Your post has made me consider doing it again this year......... might be a good incentive to work harder! Good luck to you
  • Amie_LR
    Amie_LR Posts: 50
    Options
    I am also taking part in a race for life this year, so nervous/excited. It was my new year's goal to be able to run it all... I hope I've not been too optimistic!

I have been using a program called c25k (couch to 5k) as I've not done any sport of any variety for such a long time before I thought it was time to shift a lot of weight. I recommend it. I struggled with week one's intervals of 1 min jog to 90seconds walk when I first started, and this week (week 7) I managed to jog for 25 minutes without stopping and covered 3.5k! I was so surprised!

I wish you all the luck!
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    yes doing the 5k in falkirk on the 20th may, first ever race for life and it was my new years resolution to do a 10k... will start with the 5k.
    personal best for me last night 5k on the treadmill in under 32mins. still to try it on dry land.

Good luck everyone!

3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • lauraemthomson
    Options
    yes registration has opened
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    I want to run it here on june 12th. Makes sense for me to have a fitness goal to keep working towards and have it be for a good cause too!
    Try c25k if you want to start training :)
  • suebussell
    Options
    Thanks for the tip:smile:
  • Pal1981
    Pal1981 Posts: 12
    Options
    Me!

Im doing it in Worthing in July

I am SO not a runner, haven't even started training. I can walk for miles though, and at the moment walk around 4-5 KM everyday from and to work, so I wont beat myself too much if I can't run the whole way!
  • l2rell
    l2rell Posts: 88
    Options
    Defiantly think I'm going to apply this year blackheath London that's going to be my aim... I just need a London friend to join me on the day x
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've done it every year since the second or third one, I love it! Before C25K even existed, I used RFL's walk-to-run programme to get me round.
    http://raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org/health-and-training/training/index.html

Don't expect it to be a super-fast run, there's always far too many people on the course to go fast!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the one in Bolton again this year. I have always walked it with my mum who survived cancer. This year she is bowing out so I've said I will run it. Very nervous because I want to run it more than anything! I have started training and get on the treadmill 3 times a week doing half hour to an hour. BerryH is the one to ask, her reply is above mine. She'll support you and let you know beginners tips.
    I say good luck and let's just do our best. Like someone said it's way too crowded to run like you would if it were just you!
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yep - Chester in June.

I got my jog up to 15 mins non-stop but got really poorly throughout the whole of Feb so am back to the beginning but I WILL do this. Am hoping to jog it all :smile:

Good luck to all you wonderful ladies who are also doing it and feel free to add me if you need a virtual training partner Vxx
  • sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am doing it also on 17th June but in Wrexham.

I have downloaded a podcast called couch to 5k. It gets you from not running to be able to run 5k in 9 weeks! It's an NHS thing so going to give that a whirl :) xx
  • SheenaDuguid
    SheenaDuguid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did the falkirk one - my advice to you - get some hill training in!

sx
  • bb_1982
    bb_1982 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im doing it too 30th of June (also my 30th birthday lol!!).

Started the C25K doing week 1 this week. Hoping to do the 8 weeks on the running machine at the gym then once I have built up my stamina a bit do the c25k programme again but actually outside. I plan on running the full 5k.... its on my list of things to do before im 30 although technically I will actually be 30 when I run it!!

good luck xxx
  • karenlesley47
    karenlesley47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Doing my first one in Doncaster on 24th June, will be walking it round with my daughter for company. Decided to have a go to test how much my mobility has improved after a FHR 4 years ago & in memory of loved family & friends who we have lost to this dreadful disease. Good luck to everyone taking part :flowerforyou: x x
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yes use C25K to get you going, I did the C25K training plan back in September, now i run 10K's regulaly and aiming for my first half marathon at the end of the year,

If you want a good training plan to get you the distance look it up :)
  • lp1991
    lp1991 Posts: 30
    Options
    i am training to do it too....bit nervous about running it cause a run like a duck but its all for a great cause. :)

Hope you do well....what one are you doing?

xx
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    BerryH is the one to ask, her reply is above mine. She'll support you and let you know beginners tips.
    Oh yes, beginner's tips. I almost skipped my opportunity for rampant self-publicity! Try these for size:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • lauraemthomson
    Options
    I did the falkirk one - my advice to you - get some hill training in!

sx

thanks for the advice! lol forgetting most of falkirk is one big hill!
    3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter