Upping calories

Options
Heya, I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas as to how I can eat more calories healthily? I already eat quite healthily but am struggling to find high calorie, low fat options. I've been using nuts and seeds as a way to up my calories but to reach the goal I need increases too much fat doing it this way.

So far, the only way I've been able to up them is by eating rubbish! I already eat plenty of beans and wholegrains and protein. I don't know what else to do. I manage to almost reach my macros for the day, but I'm always down on the calories!!!

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    basically your option involves carbs if thats ok?

Whole Grains
    Pasta
    Potatoes
    Rice
    Etc....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the fats you should be avoiding are mostly saturated fats. i don't like buying most "reduced fat" foods because they usually add more sugar or artificial sweetener to it.

try avocados. i slice up an avocado, and put it in my salads or eat it with chicken breast. if you mix it with some black beans, cottage cheese, and shredded chedder cheese, you don't even need dressing for a salad.

and also eat whole eggs (one yolk a day is good for you) and whole milk, and bacon.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    What kind of low fat options are you talking? I would skip the 'low' fat, go with normal healthy fat and you will have an automatic increase in calories. Add the other stuff mentioned as well.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What kind of low fat options are you talking? I would skip the 'low' fat, go with normal healthy fat and you will have an automatic increase in calories. Add the other stuff mentioned as well.

I'm not really avoiding fat in general, but I am trying to minimise saturated fat and that is the fat I am focused on trying to avoid eating. My limit is 10g a day. Sadly all my healthy fat options include saturated fat too!

I've tried eating egg whites but there's almost no calories in them... I'd eat the yolk more often (I have it a bout 1-2 times per week) but I have high cholesterol so I have to be careful!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Greek Yogurt