Things moving too slow, any advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• opalstar
    opalstar Posts: 20
    Options
    Sorry to say it, but it just takes time. You have to be patient, and just stick at all the good changes you have introduced. Programmes like the Biggest Loser mislead people into believing that is how weight loss should be. In reality, for most people it takes time.

I have lost a lot of weight calorie counting, twice before in my life-sadly I eventually put it all back on again over the years. Each time as now, a pound a week was how I lost it all. Some weeks nothing, and other weeks a pound and a half or two pounds.

That is just what is happening to me now. One thing I do to encourage myself to keep at it, and to be thankful for every pound might help you. For every pound lost, I fill a small plastic water bottle with a 'pound' of water. Then each bottle I place in a carrier bag. Whenever I feel disheartened by my slow weight loss, and start saying I have only lost...pounds, I go and pick up that bag. By feeling how much weight I have lost, it makes me much more positive to keep at it.
    I hope this idea helps you keep motivated.

I am determined that this is the last time I will need to lose weight, not going to repeat my past mistakes.
  • Pal1981
    Pal1981 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi all,

Great seeing some of the advice here.

I've only just started, and having failed at silly diets before this time I rather lose 1 pound a week and it stays offfor good, than losing 5 which will creep back up!

I'd say don't be dissapointed, keep going, no one said it was easy, but man will it be worth it!!!
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I've been at this (with MFP) for 5 weeks and I've lost 5lbs. I actually gained weight the first 3 weeks! Believe me I have questioned whether or not this was worth it. Hell, I could be sitting on my couch enjoying some Doritos and a Coke as opposed to busting my butt and eating healthy and only losing a half pound or pound.

With as much weight as I need to lose I was expecting more to come off quicker in the beginning, BUT I'm also committed to doing it the right way. I work out 6 days a week for 30 minutes. I'm just starting out, so I will ramp it up next week.

It is a little disappointing, but you can't give up. You are retraining your body. Hang in there...it will happen!!!
  • dancingqueen2013
    dancingqueen2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It really is great to see all you folk loosing at the same or similar rate, it has taught me to be patient and keep going; thank you all. also like the idea of the 1lb water bottle, must try that one and it will keep me going.
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    TiltingAtWindmills Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    actually this the recommended way to lose weight..those who set unrealistic goals typically end up not meeting them, hence getting disappointed and fail. a slow gradual weight loss helps to keep you on track..as its realistic. those who choose slow steady weight loss tend to keep the weight off in the long run. plus losing too fast can mean you arent intaking enough nutrients to be healthy, because you may have lowered your calorie/food intake too much..this can also lead to muscle/lean tissue breakdown which means your bmr will lower. hence hitting plateaus...

This! I failed many diet/exercise attempts by setting extreme goals and pushing myself too hard. I finally gave up, deciding i just didn't have the will power. What I've learned now is that a pound a week is amazing progress. I know it feels slow (I feel this pain too!), but I also know that it's working... it's consistently working. You are making wonderful progress, and probably not driving yourself insane or starving in the process. Trust everyone who has said that you're doing it right! Congrats on those first four pounds! :flowerforyou:
  • harleycls
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing - I have 55lbs that I want to loose!!! I started this weight loss contest at work with coworkers. It is hard and moving slow - I've only lost 6lbs. But I'm eating healthier and being more aware of everything I put in my mouth, so I figure that has to be better than what I was doing before. I'm just hoping by the end of this year I will be at my goal or close to it.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I feel the same re things moving slowly, but we have to remember that this is a life style change! 1lb a week is perfect as it is sustainable and realistic. Loosing lots of weight every week would be wonderful but it would be too hard to keep up. I also thing the quicker it comes off, the quicker it will come back on if you slip up!

Keep with it and good luck!!
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    At first, I was losing 1 pound here, 2 pounds there, now it seems like i'm stuck losing .4 or .8 a week...............It is discouraging, but at least it IS a loss!!!!!! Better than none at all!!!! EXERCISE is the main thing!!!! Without exercise, I would be gaining instead of losing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH, also, DO NOT STEP ON SCALE EVERY DAY!!!!! I've noticed my body fluctuates day by day, minute by minute.......I've failed at diets before, because I weighed myself EVERY DAY............and got discouraged................now I weigh myself once a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!