Coconut Milk

Options
I bought some coconut milk and was looking for ideas on what I can do with it? Can you have it in cereal? or is it just for cooking etc?

Thanks in advance for any help xxxx

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk (reduced fat) all the time. It is great for making curries. Just cook your meat in some spices and add the coconut milk in near the end to make the sauce. You don't need much and it turns out YUMMY!

I did once use coconut milk as a substitute for cream as it had solidified and actually tasted lovely on the side with some cake.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    mmm...Will try that :) Do you cook the meat with oil then? xxxx
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You can put it in rice. Gives the rice a really rich flavor. But be careful with coconut milk. Sometimes the saturated fat is unreasonably high and so people with high cholesterol or people at risk for high cholesterol are very weary about it.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My husband will use it when he's cooking a curry. But I must admit I thought it was quite calorific - could be wrong.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the coconut milk that comes in a can or the kind that comes refrigerated like almond milk?

If the canned kind, its used in lots of Thai type recipes, and I have only used a couple of times.

If you are talking about the refrigerated kind, I use it every day on my oats or on my granola. Its really good! Does have some added sugar though!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Great for Pina Colada
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It's fine for cereral or drinking on its own, just like regular milk.
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like coconut milk in my cereal (Kashi Go Lean, usually) and in my coffee. I currently drink the unsweetened kind, but I recommend if you're new to it trying vanilla. I think its only 80 calories per cup, similar to skim milk.

It has a little coconut flavor without being overwhelming so it is kind of like a little bit of tropical goodness in the morning! The only reason I started drinking it was because I listened to Jillian Micheals' podcast and it was about how cows milk has hormones in it and soy causes problems and imbalances with estrogen. She recommended coconut milk and now I'm hooked.

On a side note, it seems to work really well for fending off hangovers if you had a leeeetle too much to drink the night before. Not sure why, it just seemed to work for me!
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thai-style soup.

Saute veggies (onions, carrots, red pepper and other leftovers like green beans, asparagus, etc.) in a bit of oil (or butter). Add spices (curry, cumin, corriander, tumeric, chili powder), then add chicken or veg broth... simmer until tender. Blend (blender or processor) until smooth, return to pot, add coconut milk, simmer and season to taste. It's delicious! Make it a bit fancy by topping with a small spoonful of sour cream or greek yogurt and scallions (or chives).
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    I like mine on granola, in my coffee, and my protein shakes. If your a coffee person like me, they also make flavored coconut milk half and half which elminates the need for any added sweetener.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I buy the low fat canned variety, and use it in curries such as this one:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4728/red-thai-salmon-curry
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Yummy in chicken korma mmmm :tongue:
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love adding coconut milk to rice, or to a tofu stir fry/curry type creation. It is fairly fat and calorie dense, so go easy on it, but it's so good.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love it with cereals and I also use it to make porridge so that I don't have to add honey, cause it becomes sweet :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    mmm...Will try that :) Do you cook the meat with oil then? xxxx

I use the 1cal spray, couple of skooshes on a non-stick pan and you are cooking!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk can be used any way milk is used. I love it on my cereal! It's great for cooking, great for smoothies, and makes the YUMMIEST ice cream ever!