coconut oil

Options
ashquin
ashquin Posts: 248 Member
i have been seeing allot of recipes lately with coconut oil. is it better for you? what do i use it for?

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    it is good for you, better than canola or vegetable oil! It also has a higher smoke point than olive oil so its great for cooking with. I use it for cooking veggies, eggs, meat, anything! I sauteed some cabbage in it last night with a little red wine vinegar and it was super tasty!
  • mreko2005
    mreko2005 Posts: 56
    Options
    It may be the best of all possible oils to use, however, the price is ridiculous. I've researched EVERY store in my area and, the lowest prices was $18..59 for 8 ounces.
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    its is considered a saturated fat and therefore will raise your bad cholesterol LDL-- so if thats not an issue for you then by all means use it
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    its is considered a saturated fat and therefore will raise your bad cholesterol LDL-- so if thats not an issue for you then by all means use it

Completely false statement....my use of coconut and olive oil over the past year - changed my total cholesterol from 200 to 163 and upped my HDL from 35 to 55...
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Completely false statement....my use of coconut and olive oil over the past year - changed my total cholesterol from 200 to 163 and upped my HDL from 35 to 55...

Watch the movie "Fat Head." When he ate mainly saturated fats for a month (meats, coconut oil, etc.) his cholesterol went down and he lost 12.5 pounds. It's a pretty funny documentary but has a lot of great information in it as well. It's on Netflix's instant queue right now. :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said we should be getting a couple of tablespoons a day of VIRGIN coconut oil into our bodies daily. Healthy and she said will help with weightloss...
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It may be the best of all possible oils to use, however, the price is ridiculous. I've researched EVERY store in my area and, the lowest prices was $18..59 for 8 ounces.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you somewhere, they sell it for $6 per jar (which is 16 ounces). Also, you can try a trusted online source, such as Amazon.com to find a cheaper option. As with purchasing anything online, make sure to do your research first to avoid buying a low rated product.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use if for everything and I have a very low LDL
    Just make sure the coconut oil you use is organic cold pressed
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Just because your cholesterol is better, doesn't mean it is because of the coconut oil. I would guess that you are making other positive changes.

To the OP, the only thing I can say is to do some research and determine for yourself. I read this article, and decided that coconut oil probably wasn't for me, because there are cholesterol problems in my family and I really don't want to risk it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

That being said, supposedly it has a wonderful aroma, almost no taste, and works extremely well when cooking. I think in small doses it should be okay for most people, but not an every day thing.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options

If you have a Trader Joe's near you somewhere, they sell it for $6 per jar (which is 16 ounces). Also, you can try a trusted online source, such as Amazon.com to find a cheaper option. As with purchasing anything online, make sure to do your research first to avoid buying a low rated product.

I get mine on soap.com. It's made from NOW foods, certified organic, virgin coconut oil. It's about 8$ for a 16oz jar
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I read that the fat in coconut oil are constructed in such a way that they aren't converted into cholesterol the same way that other saturated fats are. It's metabolized differently. I'm not a scientist though so it would be interesting to hear more about this.

ETA: the TYPE of coconut oil apparently matters too - virgin coconut oil, non-hydrogenated, non-refined is what to look for.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just did a quick search on Amazon.com and they have quite a few different options for coconut oil. And I love the fact I can read the reviews before I purchase.
  • jude7701
    jude7701 Posts: 23
    Options
    I think everyone can have a different reaction to different types of oils... Anyone that struggles with their cholesterol being at an unhealthy level should probably check with their doctor or a nurse before making major changes, anyways- that being said, in the last 2 years, I have stopped using butter in cooking, never use shortening, and use olive oil for everything... I have lost weight, and my cholesterol... LDL is 114, HDL is 75, and my triglycerides are 65. All very healthy levels. But I do exercise daily, and we eat really healthy, as well. Coconut oil has to be healthier than butter, shortening, and all that- so I say go for it!
  • kmayerchak
    Options
    Kroger's retail is very competitive and it is also an awesome beauty tool for really dry skin or extremely damaged hair!
  • nehauck
    nehauck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is an excellent replacement for Canola oil and butter/margarine. Although it is a saturated fat, it is a healthy fat which will help with lowering LDL. A great way to start cooking w/ it is when frying eggs; my husband loves them this way and he is not nearly on the healthy living train I am.

Coconut Oil is excellent for the hair & scalp (after treatment, condition hair first and then wash as usual). It's also great as a skin moisturizer, I even use it around my eyes both as a moisturizer and to fix any mascara smudges.

Trader Joe's has an excellent Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 16 oz. jar, under $6. The trick is getting there when they're in, they fly off the shelf!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just research coconut oil. I did read what web-md said about coconut oil...and another doctor too....I can not remember. But, I do not always believe everything that they say.

We have been told for years to eat "low-fat" but look how fat we are here in the US! Other countries that cook with Olive Oil, coconut oil...they are thinner.

Anyway, like someone stated the fat in the coconut oil works differently in our body than typical saturated fat. I had a professional body builder tell me to take virgin coconut oil for my skin. As I researched, I found many other benefits....one is thyroid production too!

So, I now take 1 tbsp of coconut oil in my oatmeal every morning. If I cook in my crock pot, I put a tablespoon in there too.

I bought Vitacost off of Amazon. It is a good price.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil is awesome...I fry with it all the time - I also use in recipes and smoothies

You want to find UNREFINED virgin coconut oil - you can find it places like Whole Foods or the organic section of your gorcery for about $10 or so....If you have Trader Joes near you check to see if they carry it - I have found it at mine for about $6 a bottle...

It will be solid at most room temps...I just scoop it out - if you need it liquid (like in a smoothie or a recipe) then I just pop it in a dish and microwave it for a bit so it melts...

If you google coconut oil you will gets all sorts of things...its great for you - it's bad for you (once again it is important to note what TYPE of coconut oil they are talking about - refined is bad because it has the good fatty acids broken down - pure unrefined virgin is good) - you really have to read between the lines...

You can come accross articles that will say it increases your cholesterol - your blood cholesterol is primarly determined by your liver...not the foods you eat - dietary fats have only a small influence on your blood cholesterol levels...so if you are someone who genetically is predisposed to higher levels of cholesteral then yes you would want to try to limit your dietary cholesterol somewhat....

I did the whole low fat - eat skinless chicken, fish, veggies, stayed away from all those "bad oils" like olive and coconut exercised my *kitten* off...had blood work done...my cholesterol was high at about 200...my HDL (good cholesterol) was 35 - my Dr.s suggestion - cut back on red meat (I hadn't been anywhere near read meat for about 6 months).

After a lot of soul searching (i.e. if I am doing everything "right" then why is my bloodwork high..why am I not loosing weight) and TONS of reading on nutrients (fats, protien, carbs, sugars, salt, vitamins, minerals, etc...) and how our body uses them I changed the way I eat...now doing everything most dietiticans would balk at (eating red meat, bacon, loads of olive and coconut oils in addition to fruits and veggies) my blood work is fantastic, I have lost weight (mostly fat as my body is a lot slimmer).

My suggestion is read, read and read somemore and come to your own conclusions...as what works for one person may not work for another - hence why there are so many lifestyle ways of eating :)
  • danmoffett
    danmoffett Posts: 110
    Options
    Coconut oil is a super food. It is one of the best oils and will not harm you.
    Forget about cholesterol, don't worry about it. Your body makes cholesterol, your cells need it.
    To learn more about cholesterol read a book called "GENOCIDE: How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!!!" by Dr. James Carlson. You can read most of the book for free on Dr. Carlson's web site at: http://drjamescarlson.com/

"Setting the record straight once and for all, Genocide: How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!!!! by Dr. James E. Carlson breaks the chains of ignorance when it comes to dieting and staying healthy. Concern for his patients led this medical doctor to unveil common misconceptions regarding carbohydrates, fat, proteins, sugars and cholesterol that are perpetrated and perpetuated by the medical community. Regrettably, with the advice of doctors millions of Americans are eating themselves into an early grave. Now, avoiding a priori reasoning, readers are able to draw their own conclusions on what lifestyle is best for them and how to initiate the most sensible diet possible. Take back your life-the fact is that low fat, low cholesterol diets are dangerous. With humor, wit and a good dose of common sense, this guide shows readers that a diet with daily sources of fat, cholesterol and protein is effective in treating disease."

For everything you ever wanted to know about coconut oil check out the Coconut Research Center at: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Read a book called: The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife

"The coconut provides a nutritious source of meat, juice, milk, and oil that has fed and nourished populations around the world for generations. On many island it is a staple in the diet and provides the majority of the food eaten. Nearly one third of the world's population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and their economy. Among these cultures the coconut has a long and respected history.

Coconut is highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is classified as a "functional food" because it provides many health benefits beyond its nutritional content. Coconut oil is of special interest because it possesses healing properties far beyond that of any other dietary oil and is extensively used in traditional medicine among Asian and Pacific populations. Pacific Islanders consider coconut oil to be the cure for all illness. The coconut palm is so highly valued by them as both a source of food and medicine that it is called "The Tree of Life." Only recently has modern medical science unlocked the secrets to coconut's amazing healing powers."

Some of the benefits of coconut oil:

*Reduces risk of atherosclerosis and related illnesses
    *Reduces risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions
    *Helps prevent bacterial, viral, and fungal (including yeast) infections
    *Supports immune system function
    *Helps prevent osteoporosis
    *Helps control diabetes
    *Promotes weight loss
    *Supports healthy metabolic function
    *Provides an immediate source of energy
    *Supplies fewer calories than other fats
    *Supplies important nutrients necessary for good health
    *Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
    *Is highly resistant to spoilage (long shelf life)
    *Is heat resistant (the healthiest oil for cooking)
    *Helps keep skin soft and smooth
    *Helps prevent premature aging and wrinkling of the skin
    *Helps protect against skin cancer and other blemishes

Coconut oil has been called the "healthiest dietary oil on earth." If you’re not using coconut oil for your daily cooking and body care needs you’re missing out on one of nature’s most amazing health products.

I've lost 155 pounds, I feel great and I use LOTS of coconut oil.

Dan
  • blankenships6
    Options
    Here is a great article on coconut oil:

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/02/organic-coconut-health-benefits-dieting.html

Here are some ideas and ways to use it:

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/10/how-why-do-you-use-organic-virgin.html

I will tell you that I use it and that I love it. I can tell you it has made a big difference in my hunger issues. If this is in my diet daily I don't feel near as hungry. When people start saying that things like coconut oil isn't healthy, I just have to shake my head! Look at this way would you rather eat something that is chemically altered by man or would you rather eat something as close to the natural way it was created by God? I choose to eat as natural as possible (grass fed beef/pastured chickens/free range eggs/etc). What causes heart issues/cholesterol issues so happens to be partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated fats. They are so bad for you and they are in so many foods. Look through your cabinets and pull out some of the foods and read the ingredients. Can you read them? We use to eat a lot of foods like that but we don't anymore and our family is so much more healthy, more energy, and just all around feel better. I am not trying to tell anyone how to eat and I am just stating what works for me and what I am most comfortable with. I know the cost is more however you have to think about the work that goes into getting organic virgin coconut oil made. I purchase mine from nutiva.com and right now it is 59.99 a gallon or 33.99 for 54 oz. If you like them on facebook you can get a code for $10.00 off. The price seems high but the health benefits are amazing! Sorry but canola/vegetable/corn oil can't claim that they are anti-bacterial/anti-viral/anti-fungal.

Take the time and do some research. I think you will learn a lot and realize just how good it really is. :)
    Healthy Choices and Real Food!
  • blankenships6
    Options
    After a lot of soul searching (i.e. if I am doing everything "right" then why is my bloodwork high..why am I not loosing weight) and TONS of reading on nutrients (fats, protien, carbs, sugars, salt, vitamins, minerals, etc...) and how our body uses them I changed the way I eat...now doing everything most dietiticans would balk at (eating red meat, bacon, loads of olive and coconut oils in addition to fruits and veggies) my blood work is fantastic, I have lost weight (mostly fat as my body is a lot slimmer). [qoute]

Great for you!