How I Broke My 5 Month Plateau

Options

Replies

• FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hmm that is really interesting that you burn that much at your desk job. I also sit at a desk all day. Now i'm tempted to wear my HRM to work. So are you changing your activity level from sedentary to the next level up??

Just to give a little more perspective - I have a BMF and also work a desk job. I'm not burning nearly as much as the OP. Mind you, It's more than I thought, but no where close to 3000. My burn on a day where I work, but don't exercise is closer to 2100. When I exercise it's closer to 2700.

Very good point! Everyone is different - I'm pretty active outside of work, so I was surprised that even with sitting all day I still burned so much. I do work out 6 days a week, so that makes a difference. I think most people equate desk job with sedentary, but as morningrunner and I have figured out, we are far from sedentary just because we sit most of the day!
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for sharing your experience. So many people give up when the scale number doesn't move. Food is fuel for our bodies, don't be afraid of it. Make it work for you:)
  • morningrunner
    morningrunner Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add: on Saturday I did a 12 miler and had a fairly active day - my burn was 3600! There's no way I could eat enough to keep my -500 deficit. My weight shot up 2 pounds after that!

I think I'm going to dial back the long runs after my upcoming half marathon so that I can eat in-line with my burns. It's just so funny to think about though - eat more and exercise less to lose weight!
  • MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had a 2 year plateau. I've have gained and lost the same 5 pounds for 2 freaking years. Granted, I've been tracking on MFP for the last few months. Have my goal set at 1lb a week. On workout days, I net anywhere from 900 to 1300 calories. I've added strength training in and I'm waiting to see if the scale will move. So far in the last 3 weeks - nothing. My husband keeps telling me I should eat more.....and like most.....I'm afraid. I think I needed to see this post to maybe convince me to try something different for awhile.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have had a 2 year plateau. I've have gained and lost the same 5 pounds for 2 freaking years. Granted, I've been tracking on MFP for the last few months. Have my goal set at 1lb a week. On workout days, I net anywhere from 900 to 1300 calories. I've added strength training in and I'm waiting to see if the scale will move. So far in the last 3 weeks - nothing. My husband keeps telling me I should eat more.....and like most.....I'm afraid. I think I needed to see this post to maybe convince me to try something different for awhile.

Two years- what've you got to lose with a one month experiment? :)

You've already got some serious dedication- two years and you kept plugging away- that's *nothing* to sneeze at!
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    mysteriousway - gemiwing made a great point! you've got nothing to lose (but fat) and you have already showed you're dedicated. I can't imagine how frustrating a 2 year plateau has been - I think you definitely need to up your calories from 900net. I think adding strength training is great!!! I really hope you will give eating more a try for a solid month and see what happens :)
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So fantastic!!! Eating more rules!!!!!!!!!
  • alim10
    alim10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for posting this!
  • MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    mysteriousway - gemiwing made a great point! you've got nothing to lose (but fat) and you have already showed you're dedicated. I can't imagine how frustrating a 2 year plateau has been - I think you definitely need to up your calories from 900net. I think adding strength training is great!!! I really hope you will give eating more a try for a solid month and see what happens :)

I think what stilted some of my weight loss was the fact that I ran over 15 races in a years time. From December through April, I was training for the Boston Marathon - so I know that kind of training can stunt weight loss. After the marathon, I still ate like I was training for a 26 mile race. But I think I have a better handle of tracking. Now I'm running, mixing up my cardio on gyms days, and working with a trainer. I guess, I just need to eat more.
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    whoa, marathons! you are awesome! Sounds like you're doing a variety of things to mix it up - I do think eating more will help in that mix, though :)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    BUMP

LOVE!!!

<3
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! It is so hard to think that sometimes our bodies just want us to eat MORE! You're doing great!!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've been very tempted to wear my HRM to see what I'm burning sitting here all day, guess it's worth a try :)

^^^^^ me too.
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Thank you :) It is crazy to think, but my body was telling me all along what it wanted...I just wasn't listening until now!
  • translationmx
    translationmx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on breaking that plateau, and thanx for sharing. Sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around the idea that eating more will make me shrink
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    For all you who don't think this is for real, it is!!!! This sounds so much like my story I could have written it myself. I also plateaued for about 4-5 months. I was eating less than (GROSS) 1200 calories, doing 2 hours of cardio a day and I was GAINING!!!! There were many days that I was negative in calories. It was only when I started eating more that I began to lose. I will say, when I first started eating more, I did gain, but eventually my metabolism kicked in, and I started losing again. Seriously, for those of you who are in a frustrating plateau, what do you have to lose? Don't freak out if you gain at the beginning. Make sure the extra calories are being "spent" wisely though...high protein, high fiber, nutritious foods, healthy fats, fruits and veggies...not oreos and french fries, lol.
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Yayyyy momofmyfivekids! love it :)
  • quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    awesome , congrats :) you eat very similar to me but i dont seem to be losing anything -.- im still gonna add you though :)
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! Awesome!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!