Kettlebell Calories

Options
How would I log kettlebell? I don't think there is a kettlebell category on the exercise part.

Replies

• NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have been trying to figure this out too. Maybe JM has a website that breaks it down? hmmmm heading over to google.com. :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did it as circuit training.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell almost daily -- I wear my HRM for the workout, then log it under "Circuit training." I think a few people on here have suggested the same. :smile:
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    How would I log kettlebell? I don't think there is a kettlebell category on the exercise part.

I was wondering this also. Just wanted to say I love the Zig's!! Did you design them? I just designed a pair can't wait to get them! They are the best shoes out there IMO
  • ckimho
    ckimho Posts: 3
    Options
    The marketing says 1200 calories in 1hr, BUT for me, at 5' 0" and 118 lbs, using a HRM gives me roughly a 300 cal burn for 30 minutes with a 20lb kettlebell. A taller person with a higher starting weight etc. would probably burn more.

For recording, I just created a Kettlebell Exercise under the "My exercises" and use whatever the HRM says for each workout.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I was wondering this also. Just wanted to say I love the Zig's!! Did you design them? I just designed a pair can't wait to get them! They are the best shoes out there IMO

I did! I also designed an orange pair that I need to upload on here. I haven't ordered them. Yet. I'm thinking I will use them as a treat when I lose a little weight!!!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The marketing says 1200 calories in 1hr, BUT for me, at 5' 0" and 118 lbs, using a HRM gives me roughly a 300 cal burn for 30 minutes with a 20lb kettlebell. A taller person with a higher starting weight etc. would probably burn more.

For recording, I just created a Kettlebell Exercise under the "My exercises" and use whatever the HRM says for each workout.

Cool! Thank you!!
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I did! I also designed an orange pair that I need to upload on here. I haven't ordered them. Yet. I'm thinking I will use them as a treat when I lose a little weight!!!
    Ha!!!! I have designed 6 pair!!!! LOL I'm only on pair #2 though. I wore out the first pair. I've had them for two yrs though. Love them! They are excellent for Zumba!
  • taylorsm88
    taylorsm88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Calorie expenditure formulas for men and women are available from the "Journal of Sports Sciences." The formula for women is Calories = [(0.380 x VO2 max) + (0.450 x Heart Rate) + (0.274 x Age) + (0.0468 x Weight) - 59.3954] x Time / 4.184. The formula for men is Calories = [(0.404 x VO2 max) + (0.634 x Heart Rate) + (0.271 x Age) + (0.179 x Weight) - 95.7735] x Time / 4.184.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/223149-how-many-calories-are-burned-with-kettlebell-training/#ixzz20YKkZic8

But they need to add this on here. They have other less popular "exercises" like Archery but not kettlebell?
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There is another formula on the forum related to kettleworx workouts....I use the circuit training notation as well
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    How long did you do it for? An hour of Bob Harper's Kettlebell Shred I burn about 700 calories. I weigh about 200 pounds.

Speaking of which, I haven't done it in some time. May have to pick it back up this weekend.
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    On the other site, it figured as your weight in kg x 6.3 is the number of calorie/hour. Divide that number by 60 to find cal per minute..for example

220 pounds divided by 2.2 kg = 100

100 x 6.3= calories burned per hour

Take that number and divide by 60 for number of calories per minute
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    On the other site, it figured as your weight in kg x 6.3 is the number of calorie/hour. Divide that number by 60 to find cal per minute..for example

220 pounds divided by 2.2 kg = 100

100 x 6.3= calories burned per hour

Take that number and divide by 60 for number of calories per minute

i dont think this is right though. so i would be burning the same amount of calories i i worked out with a 5 pound kettlebell for an hour (which would be really easy for me ) as a 35 pound kettlebell?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are weights just like any other weights. Just the fact that they are kettlebells doesn't make them different from exercises done with dumbbells, barbells, or anything else heavy that you pick up and put down.

What does make a difference is the type of workout you were doing with the kettlebells.

Were you doing strings of continuous exercises with minimal (30 secs or so) breaks between exercises and sets? Then I'd log it as circuit training.

Were you doing a set of exercises to failure, then resting fully before starting the next set/exercise? Then log it as strength training.

Were you doing continuous movements, but the kettlebells only weighed 5 pounds or so? Then log it as aerobics.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are weights just like any other weights. Just the fact that they are kettlebells doesn't make them different from exercises done with dumbbells, barbells, or anything else heavy that you pick up and put down.

What does make a difference is the type of workout you were doing with the kettlebells.

Were you doing strings of continuous exercises with minimal (30 secs or so) breaks between exercises and sets? Then I'd log it as circuit training.

Were you doing a set of exercises to failure, then resting fully before starting the next set/exercise? Then log it as strength training.

Were you doing continuous movements, but the kettlebells only weighed 5 pounds or so? Then log it as aerobics.

I think most kettlebell workouts (the 'real' ones by an RKC, not Bob Harber or kettleworx and such) are a bit unique in that they have a heavy cardio component by nature, unlike barbell or dumbbell workouts. It's not really 'pick it up, put it down', it's a lot of continuous movements with heavy bells. Google a video of kettlebell swings or any complexes. Artofstrength.com probably has a lot of videos.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A kettlebell is a weight, not an exercise.

There's no such thing as a 5lb kettlebell, that's a paperweight.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    At 242 lbs, 5'7.5" height, female. I burn about 10 calories per minute max for Tabata protocol use of my 16 kg/35 lb Kettlebell. So a 20 minute, Tabata protocol, Kettlebell training session for me burns around 200 calories. The thing that makes that still inaccurate though is that it raises the rate at which I burn calories 'at rest' for the next 12-24 hours.

None of that really matters because MFP has a tracking system based on a flawed 'calories in minus calories out' formula. I log it anyway just to give folks that follow me an idea of a training day. If MFPs predictions were correct, my ticker would claim 150-200 lbs shed rather than 110. lol

Some of the women and men with whom I have trained burn up to 20 calories per minute doing the same exercise that I did tonight and they are smaller than me, both in total size as well as lower in body fat percentage.

In the end, what matters most to me about training with a kettlebell is that I stay hydrated, I eat enough but not too much afterward and that my waist gets smaller over time.

YMMV