I ran 3.2 on the Elliptical today--will this help my outside

Options
It is raining hardcore here and will be all week. I have a gym at my school so today I ran 3.2 miles on the elliptical. It wasnt as hard as running outside at all but I was happy to go the entire time. I thought I should run this everyday and help build up my endurance. Then next week go back outside and run outside. Opinions?

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It is raining hardcore here and will be all week. I have a gym at my school so today I ran 3.2 miles on the elliptical. It wasnt as hard as running outside at all but I was happy to go the entire time. I thought I should run this everyday and help build up my endurance. Then next week go back outside and run outside. Opinions?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Doing the elliptical is a good workout-

But to compare elliptical to running doesn't do well

I can kick *kitten* on the elliptical but can't run to save my life- They are completely different.

But kudos to you for finding another workout to do because of the weather
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    i LOVE ellipticals! my gym now doesn't have one (it's just the one in my apartment complex) but when I was into cheerleading we ran 5k every practice and it was SO hard starting out. I HATED running but I had no problem doing the elliptical so every day i'd do between 3 and 4 miles on the elliptical and in a very short time actually running at practice got SO much easier just because I had the endurance! it does help I think!
  • verifire
    verifire Posts: 44
    Options
    i think part of the reason it's harder to run outside is because your body fatigues from impact as well as from burning calories. i'll take just the burn and leave the impact by sticking the the elliptical!