Does external temperature affect cals burned?

Options
Does external temperature affect cals burned?
E.g. does an equivalent amount of exercise in cold vs. hot weather make any difference?

(P.s. I'm aware if it does the effect is probably negligible, so this is really just a hypothetical question..)

Replies

• cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know this also lol as my gym can't seem to regulate the temperature inside the gym lately with all the crazy weather outside lol
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've wondered that too - seems like keeping warm when exercising on super cold days would burn more, but I have no idea.

@cnsmith - love your profile pic! :smile:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, just because your body has to work harder in order to maintain a normal temperature.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can't see it affecting anything more than marginally. You would burn more calories at rest in a colder environment, but when you're exercising, your body isn't focused on keeping you warm, because generally, exercising means that your body has switched to "cool-down" mode, and is worried about dispersing heat out, and not keeping it in.

In warmer weather, I think the only effect is exhaustion from overheating, but that's because your body gets overwhelmed by its attempts to keep everything cool enough. I don't think it literally burns more calories, because it's not working "harder"; it just can't keep up with demand.

Don't know for sure, though, but I really think it's pretty marginal.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science of it... but I know when I have done bikram (hot) yoga, it does burn more calories than the 'average normal' yoga... hmmmmm
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It does burn more calories to keep your body warm, so working out in the cold is helpful. However, you are more prone to injury when doing rigorous exercise in the cold, since your muscles stay so tight. The difference between the two is pretty minimal (about 2% from what I have read), so I don't really concern myself with it. Being a bigger guy, I enjoy cooler temperatures more. Alot of the places where I have seen this referenced are actually talking about what you are exposed to all day. Your body will burn extra calories over the entire day if you environment is a little cooler (below 70 F), even if you aren't exercising.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Do you have an HRM? Could you test it? Maybe walk outside (if it's colder) for 20 minutes and then inside somewhere for 20 minutes and compare? Just an idea
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you know its negligble, why spend a moment of time on it?
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I do my workouts at home I always make sure to turn off the fans and air because I find I sweat more that way so I figure I must be burning more fat since there is more sweat. I know Tracy Anderson suggests you workout in a hot room.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I don't know the science of it... but I know when I have done bikram (hot) yoga, it does burn more calories than the 'average normal' yoga... hmmmmm

sweating doesnt really burn more calories than not sweating. if you burned more in bikram, it was other factors.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    When I do my workouts at home I always make sure to turn off the fans and air because I find I sweat more that way so I figure I must be burning more fat since there is more sweat. I know Tracy Anderson suggests you workout in a hot room.
    You burn more fat when glycogen is depleted. That wouldn't matter if it was hot or cold.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

heat is better only to have warm muscles which makes them less prone to injury if cold.

sweating is not burning calories. turn on your fan and be more comfortable and work out longer or harder to burn more calories.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall a Canadian Armed Forces study from some years ago that suggested the difference was statistically insignificant. The one thing to be aware of when running long distances in extreme cold is hydration, you lose a fair bit of water through breathing (same thing that faces scuba divers - very low humidity air) and, as the frost on my fleece layer often attests to, you still perspire freely in cold weather.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    if you know its negligble, why spend a moment of time on it?

Because I'm fascinated by the biology of weight loss.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    we burn just a bit more calories when it's cold outside because our bodies work a little more to adjust to the external temperatures.
    working out in a hot room makes you lose water so, as soon as you drink water/eat after your HOT workout, you'll gain that weight back
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

sweating doesnt really burn more calories than not sweating. if you burned more in bikram, it was other factors.

Don't think it was the sweating it was the increased metabolism and heart rate which increased the potential for burning calories...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    **Warning: Possible Bro Science incoming. I dont have any official proofs or links to the publications I have read this, I just vaguely remember reading about this and felt like sharing**

From what I've read, yes, body does try to warm up your external temperature. It will however try to warm up your internal temperature before it'll try to do that for external as a defense mechanism. This is why its said to drink ice cold water, since your body have to warm up that water and raise the waters temperature (proof, you never pee out that ice cold water). So, albeit negligible, your body does burn more calories trying to keep itself warm. HOWEVER, it'll also burn calories trying to keep itself cold. Sweating, like anything body does including breathing burn calories so obviously sweating to cool off your body burns calories too.

Now the question comes in, wether to workout in hot temp or cold. I have read its better to do it in hot temp. Mainly because during a decent workout, your body is warm itself and the cold temperature will not make an affect on it to try and keep itself warm. However, if the room temperature was hot, and your body is also exerting heat, then your body will try and cool itself more (which in a cold room, it'll have less to do) and hence you endup burning more calories in a hot room.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

This. I do hot yoga once a week and if you wear a HRM doing the same class in an unheated room you burn less calories. I don't think it's just because of the temperature though, I think it's because you're working harder.

I have to work a LOT harder to run 5 miles in 95 degree weather than I do in 65 degree weather, so I would suspect I'm burning more calories. But I don't have any science or anything to back it up, just what the good old HRM says.