working through lunch, PLEASE HELP

Options
hey guys, hope your all doing well and having fun!

i am struggling with my calorie intake.

mornings ill have cereal or toast but mainly cereal, and for dinner ill have a weightwatchers meal with lots of veg. i just dont have the funds to buy fresh!

OK, so my problem is my shifts at work are always an 11-3 with a 15 min break. how the hell am i meant to have a decent lunch in that amount of time?!

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I get an hour lunch, but exercise for 50 minutes and eat in 10. It is possible, but you need to have it prepared and with you to do it.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Why not have a snack before work and another after?
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I make my lunches in the eve and take them with me.

I have big salad with tin of tuna or 100grams lean chicken. (If you hate salad can do same thing in low fat wrap.)
    If you have a microwave you could make soup, I make leek and potato soup, so cheep to make and only 200 odd calories. Microwaves back up in three mins.

:flowerforyou:
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Why not have a snack before work and another after?

Was thinking the same thing...divide lunch in 1/2 and eat 1/2 before work and the other 1/2 after work.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I would eat before or after or you can make a wrap or sandwich and bring it with you. Some tuna or cheese & crackers. Maybe a thermos with some healthy soup?

When I go into the office I always take a little cooler lunch box packed with healthy stuff.
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe break up the lunch you'd have at noon or 1:00 p.m. with two smaller meals right before and right after your shift. Have some yogurt and fruit at 10:30 or 10:45 and then have a banana or apple, or carrots or broccoli at 3:15 when you are finished. I have just started eating greek yogurt. The plain kind b/c it is not as processed. If you mix it with fruit or granola or honey it is very good and you have only added natural food to it, not extra sugar or chemicals like in the fat free and it is packed with protein.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I actually don't get a lunch break. I'm a receptionist and barely able to leave the front desk to go to the bathroom. I always pack a lunch and take it with me and just try to take a bite when I can. Though it may not be the best lunch I take something quick and easy like a sandwich and some chips and maybe some yogurt ot string cheese as a little snack. I'm sure you could use your 15 min break to eat something like that.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    On weekends, I have the same problem. I work 11a-3p sometimes. I started bringing celery with peanut butter to go pack or just some cut up cucumbers. I have also brought yogurt to eat when I am there then I eat after work.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge there? I would say try bringing things you don't have to waste time heating up since you don't have a long break. Fruit, yogurt, nuts, salad (you could pre-cook chicken and bring that in a baggy for the salad). Veggies and dip. You could have cottage cheese or peanut butter with your fruit. Stuff like that. I'd think in terms of 'snacks' and bring 'easy' stuff so you can eat quickly but still eat well. :-)
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I eat while I work everyday. i make a big salad and munch on it when I can although I am at a desk too. can you make some things that can be hand held like a wrap or sandwich and then wrap it in foil and keep in your pocket to grab bites of?
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I frequently eat lunch in a short amount of time like that. I would make something at the beginning of the week that you can keep rationed out in your fridge to take with you. You could also eat a heavier breakfast with more protein, and eat something like a handful of almonds, or some almond butter and an apple at lunch. That way you would be getting enough calories that time of day to keep going and have energy.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Rethink buying fresh. I don't buy weight watchers/lean cuisine/healthy choice anymore because they are ridiculously expensive considering the quantity (and quality) that you get from them....not to mention the sodium! It's actually WAY cheaper for me to buy fresh veggies, meats and fruit. You'll feel fuller too. I go to a local produce/meat market and skip the grocery store as it's a bit less expensive for me to shop this way.

I often work through my lunch. Some of my favorites: Starkist Tuna Lunch Kits, Bell Pepper strips (all colors) about 7-9 oz in a ziplock bag, brocoli with carrots and one strip of crumbled bacon topped with a yogurt based dressing, roast beef and pepper jack cheese in a Flat Out flat bread wrap (yum and TONS of protein), an apple, carrots, greek yogurt. All of these will fill you up and not break the bank. Most you can eat quickly or pick at them over a period of time. Hope this helps :)
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Make lunches for the week on a day you have off from work. Just grab one and stick it in the microwave really quick when you want it.

If you don't have a fridge or microwave, pack a little cooler with stuff that doesn't need to be heated up or just throw some stuff in your purse that doesn't even have to be in a cooler. Throw in an apple, banana, 100 calorie packs, almonds, etc.
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I also take 15 minute lunch breaks. I pack my lunch every day and I also make sure I have a couple healthy snacks on hand so I'm not tempted to run to the vending machine. I totally understand not being able to afford expensive grocery tips, but there are some ways to make healthy meals ahead of time. I'm an avid couponer, and I save about 50-75% on all my grocery bills by matching coupons to weekly sale items. I used to make a meal plan and then shop for those items, but I now buy what's on sale, and make my meal plans around that. When things are super cheap I stock up on them like frozen veggies, pasta sauce, whole wheat pasta, chicken breast, tuna etc... Grocery stores in my area also mark down fresh fruit and veggies when they only have a few more days of shelf life on them. Sure I go to the grocery store more often, but I save a ton of money in the process. I make a large healthy meal a couple nights a week, and bring leftovers for my lunches. I always try to keep almonds, greek yogurt, and fruit on hand at work for back up.
  • eleslie1989
    eleslie1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great ideas, i work in greggs the bakers and beleive me it is hard working that shift and not just picking up a sandwich from there! plus i get 50% discount!

iv tried having something before and after but inbetween i end up starving (or thinkin i am) and end up getting something from work because it is right in front of me prepared and ready to eat! im actually looking for a new job to get away from the temptation plus its obviously not what i want my career to be! lol
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It's only a 4-hour shift, so you're not expected to have an actual lunch break (legally). In your case, I would probably time my meals so I ate "lunch" just before starting work between 10 and 11, have a small snack part way through work (a granola bar or something easy like that), and if you need one, another snack after work before dinner, depending on when you eat in the evening.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and our lunch times are only 25 minutes in total. By the time the classroom is emptied, the room is locked up and I walk to the staffroom there is less than 20 minutes. Considering a bell goes two minutes before the beginning of period 5 - lunch needs to be over and equipment is ready for the lesson- there is less than 15 minutes for eating and a toilet break - so there is no time for heating food or any fussing. Generally I will take 2 pieces of fruit and some nuts. I eat the fruit first and then if I run out of time for the nuts I can eat most of them on my walk to my classroom. By no means a perfect lunch - but it sustains me most of the time until dinner- or if I am hungry I will sometimes have a snack after school.
    eative
    You can finds something that is quick and healthy- just be a bit creative and you will manage something.Good luck
  • eleslie1989
    eleslie1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's only a 4-hour shift, so you're not expected to have an actual lunch break (legally). In your case, I would probably time my meals so I ate "lunch" just before starting work between 10 and 11, have a small snack part way through work (a granola bar or something easy like that), and if you need one, another snack after work before dinner, depending on when you eat in the evening.

yes i know im not due any more than 15 mins. im not complaining about that.

all i am getting at is the fact i have breakfast at 9 after working out and have dinner at 5.30/6. i struggle to eat anything before work because im just not hungry because its not been long since breakfat, then i dont want to spoil dinner by eating after work. i love my days off and i do great with eating at my set times and i have way more energy in the evening to work out.

its just a pain in the back side at the moment but hopefully will get out there soon :)
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, and I do prepare my own foot for about 2 months already since I have started a body change plan. Since I've never bought any food other than what I prepare. The key is to FIND TIME TO PREPARE YOUR MEALS IN ADVANCE and refrigerate them ready to go. Begining is really tough (i still struggle) but pays of and eventually you get used to it. Use your prepared snacks at work. It doesn't have to be a big meal to call it OK.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    IMO, you need a bigger breakfast. I think you'll do better if you have a good breakfast, then a small snack before work, then eat a good lunch after work. That's a hard shift to work especially when you're hungry!! Good luck :flowerforyou: