Eczema?! Please help!

Options
124»

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My little girl gets it. The most preventative success I have had is making sure she baths regularly in that E45 bath emollient oil, it really helps. And her skin is so soft after it.
  • TheCountryMomma
    TheCountryMomma Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been experiencing something similar, very itchy skin, and rash like on my arms and legs. I use a lotion from NAture's Gate, the tea tree moisturizing lotion...it helps TONS!! I got mine from Sprouts, I'm sure they have it at other natural grocery stores as well. ALso stay away from alcohol and high sugar intake which can increase the sensations and outbreaks
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have dishydrosis which is a form of exima. It starts as little bumps on the sides of my fingers and it's sooo itchy. When I get bad flare ups the bumps join together and my hands swell up and itch like nothing you can imagine and it becomes painful. I even wake up at night itching my hands. I know mine is brought on by stress. And I also know that when I'm working out regularly I don't get it as often. Mine lasts about 2 weeks, then my hands get all scaly and peel where the bumps were. It's a very unpleasant condition. I started getting it when I was 17 and had my first job. No cream or ointment has ever helped.
  • ammymickens
    Options
    Although the effectiveness of triamcinolone for eczema may vary from case to case, generally speaking, this corticosteroid is successful in minimizing eczema symptoms. This drug, which is marketed regularly as aristocort and kenacort, among others, is often used in correlation with other products to fight the harmful causes and effects of eczema. Some of the regular symptoms that triamcinolone may act to counter are redness, inflammation, and the itching and irritation common to eczema.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've had it on my hands for years. The docs never did much for me but you might want to see one just to make sure. The best treatment I've found is cocnut oil + baking soda. Rub it in and let it sit for a few minutes then rinse. The baking soda seems to help with the itching and the red spots and the oil moisturizers. Other oils can work I've just had luck with coconut.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I found a dermatologist that would see me today. I was told that it is contact dermatitis. "Use a steroidal cream to clear it up, and an over-the-counter cream that I just happen to have a whole pad of coupons for..." Blah, blah, blah. Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up. I explained my concerns with steroidal medications. She insisted that I trust her. After all, she uses the same steroidal ointment, and she is pregnant. This was supposed to make trust her? It just made me think she is nuts. I'm supposed to go back in a week. If it isn't cleared up, then we'll do patch testing. But if it is cleared up, then we just ignore that it ever happened? Pretty much. That was that. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....
    Yeah, damn that western medicine. :p I have eczema, I use topical steroids, I choose not to suffer.

• IMaintain
    IMaintain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Although the effectiveness of triamcinolone for eczema may vary from case to case, generally speaking, this corticosteroid is successful in minimizing eczema symptoms. This drug, which is marketed regularly as aristocort and kenacort, among others, is often used in correlation with other products to fight the harmful causes and effects of eczema. Some of the regular symptoms that triamcinolone may act to counter are redness, inflammation, and the itching and irritation common to eczema.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-effective-is-triamcinolone-for-eczema.htm
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    ibd5zv9eQlH7MO.png

tumblr_m68m7gVlCB1r04xj6.gif

Did you guys happen to check the date of the original post? 3 years ago.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ugh. very old thread LOL.

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I should have checked the expiry date on this stinky cheese before responding.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to let your dermatologist determine if this is what it is, then go from there.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    savethecat wrote: »
    I actually just started noticing the same thing recently. So far it's only a few dots on my thumb, but I had no idea what it was when it first popped up and I've been doing all sorts of research trying to figure it out. My diet is similar to yours. No meat or diary and mostly clean foods- and I haven't been exposed to any new detergents or chemicals that I am aware of. The dots appeared about 6 days ago and were very painful as they grew in. Today is the first day they seem to be deflating. I didn't have the funds to get them checked out by a doctor this week (not too mention that I didn't want to argue with them about steroids and such) so I took the advice I found online. I didn't pop them and tried to keep them dry. They seem to be clearing up on their own, as most everything I read said they would. The information I read further suggested that even though it is difficult to diagnose and treat these sorts of skin conditions they only seem to flare up a few times a year and disappear just as quickly. Although, they are still extremely inconvenient! Especially if they're on your body and you want to wear a bikini I'm sure.

It's possible that we are experiencing two different kind of eczema but I just wanted to throw my two cents in and let you know I feel your pain. I worry that the break out I'm having now will spread or that the next one will be worse. If you do go to the doctor I would love to know what information you receive. Best of luck.

Yours sounds like dyshidrotic eczema. I have 2 different kinds of eczema and that is by far worse than anything I have ever experienced. It made my finger nails come off. Aquafor is the only thing that helps me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My son has eczema but it's only bad in the cold months. If I stay on top of moisturizing his skin every day it usually doesn't get too bad.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Calendula is a fabulous herb for eczema and similar skin irritations. You can find products with it in most healthfood stores. I buy the Calendula infused oil by Weleda. I always had terrible dry, cracking skin on my hands ( never had it diagnosed) until I began adding good fats to my diet in earnest. My hands have been soft all winter and wash them 15 times/day and wash dishes every day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    WingMan380 wrote: »
    Ok, so I found a dermatologist that would see me today. I was told that it is contact dermatitis. "Use a steroidal cream to clear it up, and an over-the-counter cream that I just happen to have a whole pad of coupons for..." Blah, blah, blah. Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up. I explained my concerns with steroidal medications. She insisted that I trust her. After all, she uses the same steroidal ointment, and she is pregnant. This was supposed to make trust her? It just made me think she is nuts. I'm supposed to go back in a week. If it isn't cleared up, then we'll do patch testing. But if it is cleared up, then we just ignore that it ever happened? Pretty much. That was that. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....

^^This pisses me off to no end!! My wife is in the medical profession, I have worked in the medical business as well, your stereotype of doctors is so wrong on so many levels it isn't funny at all. I agree that there are some doctors out there that are not as good as others, but there are plenty of physicians that do take the time and interest in their patients to properly diagnose and treat the issue. The first step in your treatment process is to change your not so pleasant attitude toward the medical profession and those who work in it!!

Sorry I clicked on this thread.

yeah, I thought the same thing.

Angry and bitter much :confused: