New runners who don't want to be seen

Options
pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
This thread reminded me that I have a great trick for new runners who don't want to be watched when starting out:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/517244-when-i-see-overweight-people-running

When I first started running I didn't want anyone to see me. This is going to sound very strange, but I figured out a great place to run without many people spotting me. RUN IN A CEMETERY! There is one down the street from my house and one day I tried running on the paths there. It's now one of my favorite places for a peaceful walk or run - every now and then you'll see someone else walking or visiting a grave - but for the most part, I'm the only living one in there :wink:

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill so the only people that see me run are my husband when he pops in the room, my dogs who obssess over me petting them while I run and any peeping toms I might have!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have to say that is original :ohwell:
  • teapot35
    teapot35 Posts: 28
    Options
    what a great idea!!! LOVE it!
    :smile:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    :noway: I'd be too freaked out..

I'm a new runner and mostly everybody passes me up. :laugh:

But there's plenty of eye candy where I run (around a lake) and I find motivation seeing these runners with speed and awesome hot bodies all around.
  • ajkgeiger
    Options
    Remember to be thankful that you have legs that you can run, even if it's slow and awkward! There are people in wheelchairs or without legs that would love to be out running so get outside and who cares who sees you! :happy:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I was raised a block away from a beautiful cemetery. It was my playground, growing up. Sledding, and ice skating in the winter. In the spring it was absolutely beautiful with the new blossoms. I miss walking in the cemetery. As a new found runner, I would have loved to run through the paths.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    That's brilliant! (And I'm an ex-deranged-goth-kid! Why didn't I think of that?!?!) We have a couple of huge cemeteries here too. I just started running again. Years ago I was great at running. Now? It's more like tubby-arm-flailing-fat-kid-trying-not-to-trip-over-thin-air! Haha
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did these bike trails at the back of my uni...over summer break so barely anyone was back there. About a month in to running I moved and now I happily run around the neighborhood or in the park...I'm still very much a beginner and I"m on week 4 of c25k but I just don't care.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to do this when living with my grandparents. They lived on a dead end street in the city so it was hard to have a good 20-30 minute run. They happened to live next to a cemetery (i know a little creepy) BUT running back there...it is quite nice. Quiet and not a lot of people. I did read an article in Runners World where I guess a guy used to run in a cemetery all the time, and one of the workers yelled at him for being rude/disrespectful. I don't see how it disrespectful..as long as you're not running over graves or something crazy like that!
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    wow, never thought of that. i would only go there for peace and quiet on a rough day. lol but never thought of running there!
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    Love the idea but the only cemetery in my town is a small church one right by the road
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill so the only people that see me run are my husband when he pops in the room, my dogs who obssess over me petting them while I run and any peeping toms I might have!
    Me too!!!

I do want to transfer to outside at some point but really don't care who sees me. I just fear the dangers lurking... ie. Dogs, animals, predators...
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    This thread reminded me that I have a great trick for new runners who don't want to be watched when starting out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/517244-when-i-see-overweight-people-running

When I first started running I didn't want anyone to see me. This is going to sound very strange, but I figured out a great place to run without many people spotting me. RUN IN A CEMETERY! There is one down the street from my house and one day I tried running on the paths there. It's now one of my favorite places for a peaceful walk or run - every now and then you'll see someone else walking or visiting a grave - but for the most part, I'm the only living one in there :wink:

I do 95% of my outdoor runs in the cemetary near my home. I mapped out a one mile loop, and away I went. Two years ago I ran a 1/2 marathon, and nearly all of my training was done here. It's a great idea, and completely peaceful.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought of that! There are small brick roads in the cemetary closest to me. My best friend is buried there, too. I could run and visit her at the same time!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I've actually found the running community, even those who are awesome competitive athletes are really encouraging of us 'plodders' and newbies. They are so crazy about their sport they love when other people start to get excited about it.

I did a FREE couch to 5k program with a great running group in my community and even though they were all fit and pretty I'd never felt more encouraged by their stories. You'll be surprised if you have a chat with a runner ;) Now that I've been running/jogging a little while I also LOVE it when friends tell me they've taken it up and I get really bummed when they say they are 'scared' to run with me because they are 'too new'. Come on! I am not going to judge you and I'll even be happy to interval run with them.

Dont be shy new runners, just be happy you're off the couch and on the road...

*I do have ONE funny story about being new though. I was interval jogging with a small group of people in a busy local park where TONS of people go to run. I would like to point out it was about 95 degrees so we were particularly slow that day and every time we came upon this old man in his car smoking he'd scream 'YOURE ALL SLOW'. So, I guess some people are mean, but it was so ludicrous this man sitting on his butt SMOKING was dissing us that we all cracked up and I still laugh about it to this day.
  • CauseyMac
    CauseyMac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hope I never see someone running in the cemetary where my son is buried. It won't be a nice encounter they'll have with me. Cemetaries are sacred places. As someone who's recently buried her only child, I would be beyond hurt...I'd be infuriated, by such misuse of the ground where my boy is buried. It's pretty petty and selfish to be more concerned about what people are thinking when they see you run in other places, than concerned about the feelings of those who grieve.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I hope I never see someone running in the cemetary where my son is buried. It won't be a nice encounter they'll have with me. Cemetaries are sacred places. As someone who's recently buried her only child, I would be beyond hurt...I'd be infuriated, by such misuse of the ground where my boy is buried. It's pretty petty and selfish to be more concerned about what people are thinking when they see you run in other places, than concerned about the feelings of those who grieve.

I don't see how it's bothering anyone. It's not like someone is running on the graves and being loud. Way back when, families would actually picnic at the graves of their loved ones. They were like parks almost, where you could go to reflect.
  • CauseyMac
    Options

I don't see how it's bothering anyone. It's not like someone is running on the graves and being loud. Way back when, families would actually picnic at the graves of their loved ones. They were like parks almost, where you could go to reflect.

Those are appropriate reasons to be in a cemetary and respectful of those buried there and their bereaved loved ones, but
    exercising in a cemetary because of your own...what? embarrassment? Please, please be more considerate.
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options

I do agree with this (and sorry to read of your loss) A cemetary is a place of rest, not a park, I think its a tad disrespectful to the place as a whole, especially as there is plenty of places to run, I think been shy or not wanting to be seen isnt a good enough reason to run through a cemetary, it is a sacred place to alot of people that shouldnt have runners on the premisis no matter how quiet they are, Im not saying its wrong but personally I think its abit immoral and selfish on those greiving (only my opinion though, Im not saying I am right or anything, thats just the way I feel about it)
  • CauseyMac
    Options

I do agree with this (and sorry to read of your loss) A cemetary is a place of rest, not a park, I think its a tad disrespectful to the place as a whole, especially as there is plenty of places to run, I think been shy or not wanting to be seen isnt a good enough reason to run through a cemetary, it is a sacred place to alot of people that shouldnt have runners on the premisis no matter how quiet they are, Im not saying its wrong but personally I think its abit immoral and selfish on those greiving (only my opinion though, Im not saying I am right or anything, thats just the way I feel about it)

Thanks, carlie_carl.