I need 163 grams of protein

Options
Hey guys-

My trainer has set my protein goal to reach 163 grams daily. I need help getting to that. I am working out 5-6 days per week, logging in my foods...Losing weight and inches, but not as quick as I would have hoped. I am open to any suggestions...my diary for food and exercise is open.
Thanks!

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Try to get an equal amount of protein and carbs each meal. You must understand that you will not be able to enjoy as much bread, pasta, and sugar as you may be used to, and still meet your macronutrient targets.

Try greek yogurt...lots more protein. Or if you don't like that, try a reduced carb yogurt, like Kroger's Carbmaster.
    Eggs/egg whites are a good choice.
    Chef salad with tons of lean ham and grilled chicken.
    I like grilled chicken or fish, steamed veggies, and brown rice for a meal or two each week. Top with a zesty but light sauce to flavor things up.
    Cottage cheese with berries is a nutrient and protein rich snack. So is cherry tomatoes and string-cheese chunks with olive oil/garlic/basil dressing drizzled on.
    Whey protein is quick and versatile; good for post-workout, and to get your macros when you are rushed (as opposed to a fast-food burger). Whole foods are best, but whey is a necessary evil sometimes. I mix mine into yogurt for a pudding, with light soy milk and peanut butter on whole grain toast post-workout, in smoothies and protein pancakes (hey, don't knock 'em til you try 'em!). Protein bars can also be a lifesaver, but watch the sugar in some of these!

Good luck!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I sometimes flavor my greek yogurt with flavored whey protein. You can get a ton of it in that way. lol.

pretty much I just double the helpings on meat, and fill the rest of the plate up with veggies.. im not anti-carb in anyway, but when you eat more of 1 thing, and you dont want to raise the calories consumed, you have to lower something else....

remember 1g of protein is 4cals... so 652 of your daily calories is already taken by protein... once you add in the fact that whole foods are never JUST protein, it adds up quick.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how much protein there was in a boneless pork chop, 23 grams....just a thought. Also the AllRecipe.com for Hamburger Soup has 18-20 I can't remember exactly.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lots of meat/fish plus protein bars/powder as needed to supplement. Eggs and dairy can be helpful too. I get about 200g a day myself.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    What I do is get some canned lean chicken. I rinse it out before eating it to get rid of some of that sodium, but yea, it's where I get most of my protein. There're also some high protein cereals out there such as Kashi's Go Lean and there's also a Kellogg high protein one. Other supplemental sources of protein, nuts, protein powder/bars
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to bulk up? 163g of protein is very high for a standard diet.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    Tuna... Tuna... Tuna
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Are you trying to bulk up? 163g of protein is very high for a standard diet.

probably trying to retain lean mass while cutting.... but I didnt look in her profile yet.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I eat a Greek yogurt for breakfast and add a half of a scoop of vanilla protein powder to it. It tastes delicious and has TONS of protein. 14 for the yogurt alone, and then 17 for half the scoop of powder. I love the evolution protein powder--it's a lot more fine than some other powders are, and so it mixes and dissolves really well! I don't even use a blender to mix my shakes.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Water packed can tuna over a salad is great! I have been struggling to get my protein in daily so I am working to improve my intake daily.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Or if you get tired of actual meat don't forget about tofu,tempeh,lentil,eggs and beans. They don't pack as much protein as ounces of meat do but sometimes it's nice to have a variety of other foods to eat!
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a nutritionist and I have a similar protein goal! Aim for 3 meals a day, with two snacks. Get your protein up from good sources of dairy (in particular cheese, eggs and yoghurt), nuts, fish and lean cuts of meat!

I use a protein shake to help with muscle recovery, just be careful if you mix it with milk as there's some sneaky carbs in there.

I hope that helps?

Ahluvly :)
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    egg white omelette, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese (low fat)

handful of almonds as a snack (watch the fat on these)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The generally accepted guideline for protein is 0.8 grams per kg of your body mass.

At 150 pounds/68 kg, you should consume about 55 grams of protein.

You might want to ask your trainer how he/she came up with a number that is about 3 times the normal need.

I got that number when I Googled "how much protein should I eat"

This was the page I read:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

Good that you posted this 'cause it reminded me to check my own number! :-)
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 263g protein. I try to get an equal number from carbs...usally set as 35/35/30...protein/carbs/fat...in my settings. Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein...max of two scoops a day will help. Chicken breasts are probably the best thing going for getting a lot of protein. In addition milk/eggs, etc. You have to be deliberate. I do an hour of cardio six days a week and strength train twice a week, so I know where you're at.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

There are many other lists out there as well. Should be easy to find the information. Many recommend .7 to 1 gram of protein per day, per pound of lean body mass for people working on building muscle, often referred to as "bodybuilders", which is in no way a negative term but sometimes is used that way (which I personally disagree with). I unnecessarily digress. For maintenance, you don't need that much protein. Check the bodybuilder sites for recommendations.

If that recommendation is to hold up, as I don't know your other profile items, it sounds like you should check it, because to get that
    much protein from foods and not under consume carbs, and over consume saturated fats if going to be a challenge unless your really like fish. Also watch out for possible movement issues, and I am not referring to jumping jacks. Good luck.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Eat what you can and supplement with protiens shake or smoothie.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 protein shakes a day. This gives me 60 of the 160 I am supposed to eat. I like Max Muscle Max Pro protein powder. I mix 1 scoop with 8 oz of UNSWEETENED vanilla almond milk. This way I avoid the sugar and carbs in regular milk.

I secret my nutritionist taught me was to drink one of these right before going to bed. It helps to keep your metabolism burning through the night.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my protein goal is similar and there is NO WAY i could reach it with out protein powder, I have a protein shake first thing in the morning, as well as after I work out...plus you can mix protein powder into lots of your foods!

Congrats on the weight & inches lost!!
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    The generally accepted guideline for protein is 0.8 grams per kg of your body mass.

At 150 pounds/68 kg, you should consume about 55 grams of protein.

You might want to ask your trainer how he/she came up with a number that is about 3 times the normal need.

I got that number when I Googled "how much protein should I eat"

This was the page I read:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

Good that you posted this 'cause it reminded me to check my own number! :-)

depends on whos guideline you go by.

the general bodybuilding and body recomping guidelines differ from basic life maintenance guidelines.

THAT general rule of thumb is 1 to 1.4 (some even say 2) grams per pound of lean body mass...
    the only issue with that rule is some people confuse it to read 1g per pound of total body bass....

in either case, it doesnt hurt as higher protein intakes on healthy individuals doesnt have any negative side effects, and higher protein diets do maintain more muscle when cutting weight.... so i never argue if the goal seems high.. people rarely meet more then 130g on a calorie restricted diet unless they try really hard.