Diabetes

Options
Anyone here also have diabetes ? Would be very intersted to hear your thoughts and ideas, What has worked and not worked ?
Thanks,
Steve

Replies

• krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both had diabetes but we have both reversed it with a low-carb diet. No more blood sugar roller coaster. I have found I can eat plenty of vegetables and fruits (with the exception of pineapple) without spiking my sugar. As soon as I have potatoes, bread, pasta, it shoots right back up.
  • lostinTN
    lostinTN Posts: 1
    Options
    The best thing for me has been a low carb diet. Surprisingly it's been easier to stick to than any other diet I've been on. But I sure do miss biscuits... :happy:
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am Diabetic, and terrible at it. I am really looking to turn things around though. This week, I am focusing on cutting out Caffeine and smoking. Today is day 2.

Next week, I am going to tackle the processed food nightmare that is my life.

I would love to keep up with fellow diabetics to see what you all are doing. I have tried Low-Carb in the past, but never seem to make it past day 5 without cheating or quitting. Tips for making it through the rough patches??
  • lolakeziah
    lolakeziah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes, but I have PCOS which ultimately is caused by insulin resistance. Diabetes is prominent in my family, and I am trying to take steps to change that fate for myself, and hoping that in the process I can encourage my boyfriend to do the same.

I am a self proclaimed carb-a-holic, and although I'm not a big fan of the sweets, Salty snacks are my weakness.

I'm a college student on a minimal budget so eating healthy is often pushed aside by my busy schedule, and lack of money. If anyone has some suggestions on how to compensate for this I'm all ears.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Low carb for me works wonders...If I may suggest a book for you, read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic, and exercise and moderation have been key for me, i can still have things like bread and cookies but I just don't overdo it. Currently I am trying intermittent fasting and I love it, it allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want with almost no blood sugar spiking, but I am still experimenting.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and am just learning (and experimenting) how to control it. Feel free to ad me as a friend :)
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My endo told me I was pre-diabetic over a year ago. Just recently she told me that I'm in the normal range again, and that if I keep it up she'll take me off my metformin.

I have cleaned up my eating a LOT since then. More veggies, smarter fruits (I personally LOVE grapefruit), and leaner meats. As for my breads, pastas, & rice - I just switched them out for everything whole grain or extra fiber. The only time I ever eat fast food is when there is absolutely no other option, and that doesn't hardly ever happen. I try not to eat sugary snacks, but when I do, I opt for sugar free life savers, they're amazing & don't taste sugar free at all. Oh, and I exercise daily, and just try to be more active in general.

I didn't see any reason to go crazy with my diet. I did the eating changes for my entire family, not just me. It made it 100% easier to stick to and now my whole family is getting healthier, not just me. I lost 13 pounds just changing my diet up a bit, and another 17 since I've found MFP - my diabetic belly is just about disappeared!!!
  • cyndy1214
    cyndy1214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and since I have lost weight my H1C has gone from 7.8 to 6. I have made some changes in the choice of food. I choose to sweeten with Stevia because diet soda is not good for you. When I need chips with is often I will eat the pop chips with no gluten. Stay away from processed food anything with white flour or white sugar. Protein and veggies are really good. A great alternative that I have found to potatoes is mashed cauliflower although I eat the red skinned potatoes. Milk is not good for diabetics try soy milk (I don't like it myself), almond milk (is wonderful but not in cereal) or my favorite coconut milk. I make a great hot chocolate with coconut milk and it only cost 95 calories it's sweetened with stevia. Another tip, use either olive oil or coconut oil in your cooking. There are a lot of substitutes to replace the processed breads that diabetics crave. One thing I have not been able to give up is my coffee creamer and I use 6 tablespoons a day. It's artifical sugar and so not good for you. One more tip stay away from any foods that have MSG...check the labels you will be surprised. :smile:
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done so, attend diabetes education classes. These classes help you with diet and exercise, teach you how to take insulin if you have to and generally explain the disease -- its causes and effects, for example. These classes also sort through the misinformation and quackery (there is a lot of both out there).

Beware of pills, potions and radical diets that promise to "cure" diabetes. As of now, there is no real cure. You can, however, learn to manage the disease and avoid or minimize complications.

These classes are often free or low cost. Some hospitals have these classes as part of their wellness program. Your doctor can help you find these classes and give you a referral kid you need one.
  • suzan716
    suzan716 Posts: 3
    Options
    My husband has type2 diabetes. "gcurtis436" add him as a friend, he is not as devoted as I am but checks in now and then.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and since I have lost weight my H1C has gone from 7.8 to 6. I have made some changes in the choice of food. I choose to sweeten with Stevia because diet soda is not good for you. When I need chips with is often I will eat the pop chips with no gluten. Stay away from processed food anything with white flour or white sugar. Protein and veggies are really good. A great alternative that I have found to potatoes is mashed cauliflower although I eat the red skinned potatoes. Milk is not good for diabetics try soy milk (I don't like it myself), almond milk (is wonderful but not in cereal) or my favorite coconut milk. I make a great hot chocolate with coconut milk and it only cost 95 calories it's sweetened with stevia. Another tip, use either olive oil or coconut oil in your cooking. There are a lot of substitutes to replace the processed breads that diabetics crave. One thing I have not been able to give up is my coffee creamer and I use 6 tablespoons a day. It's artifical sugar and so not good for you. One more tip stay away from any foods that have MSG...check the labels you will be surprised. :smile:

I agree with the coffee creamer but have you tried half-n-half with DaVinci sugar-free syrup? Holy moly. It is wonderful. And zero carbs. It only takes a little tiny bit to sweeten it. So 2 tbsp of half-n-half (40 calories) and zero calorie/zero carb DaVinci syrup. Sam's Club has some (I think vanilla, caramel, hazelnut and raspberry) but you can find any flavor online and they have TONS.
  • cyndy1214
    cyndy1214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use stevia for the sweetness but I like the flavor. I gotta find something that gives the flavor of the flavored creamer. I tried like vanilla extract and fat free creamer with the stevia but its still not the same...I will get there. The artificial sweetener in sugar free creamer is really bad for me:sick:
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I use stevia for the sweetness but I like the flavor. I gotta find something that gives the flavor of the flavored creamer. I tried like vanilla extract and fat free creamer with the stevia but its still not the same...I will get there. The artificial sweetener in sugar free creamer is really bad for me:sick:

someonone on this website just yesterday suggested protein powder, I don't know if you use any but the vanilla flavored protein powder in coffee is pretty good, I just tried it this morning. It does have some artificial sweetener in it but only a small amount so it may be worth it. I agree with you on the artificial sweeteners, I managed to kick them all to the curb except in my protein shakes.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My mother is diabetic and a carb-a-holic also. Her nutritionist told her to use Dreamfields brand pasta (found at Kroger), so she can still enjoy her pasta without the big sugar spikes.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Diet, exercise, and losing weight. I also went vegetarian.

I went from an A1C of 13.3 and uncontrolled on 3 pills and 3 liquid insulins to an A1C of 6.6, off all liquid insulins and my endo wants to take me off 1 of the pills (plus I am now listed as controlled). Sugars dropped from mid- to high-200s to 140-160 on average.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    <----Type 1 diabetic here. Lost 112 pounds in one year. A1c, blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugars are perfect. MFP, smart food choices and exercise are a perfect combination.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't have Diabetes but was close. My A1C had been high for over a year and I decided to do something about it.
    I cut out most junk food and white carbs. Lowered my carb intake to around 130 a day and no more then 45 a meal and 15 per each serving. It worked for me.
    dlife is a good site for recipes and suggestions.