Read any womens strength training books lately?

Options
MrsLVF
MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
What are some good strength training books for women?

What have you read?
What did you like about it?
What did you not like about it?

Replies

• runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the responces you get! I am going to but The New Rules For Lifting this weekend. I have heard great stuff about it! Hopefully, it isn't all programs revolving around a gym! Good luck with your fitness goals!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    LOVE the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. I'm in week two of stage 2. I got it from the library first then bought it. LOVE IT.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm reading New Rules Of Lifting For Women - checked it out from the library and I'm afraid I won't want to give it back. :tongue: Might have to ask for this one for my birthday next month. And some heavier weights.
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    I am interested in the responces you get! I am going to but The New Rules For Lifting this weekend. I have heard great stuff about it! Hopefully, it isn't all programs revolving around a gym! Good luck with your fitness goals!

That's the book I was thinking about getting, but I'm wondering the same thing. I have dumbbells & barbells & the tower of power at home, as well as an elliptical, & recumbent bike. I have no plans to step foot in a gym. I do want a women specific book, but not one that's going to send me to the gym to use a bunch of machines. Good luck to you too :smile:
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    LOVE the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. I'm in week two of stage 2. I got it from the library first then bought it. LOVE IT.

Awesome!
    Is it all free weight, & body weight? Or does it direct you machines?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I re-read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. One of the best for anyone - women or men.
  • clickmaster
    Options
    I've been training for 40 years and have read volumes about strength training. The best book I have seen without exception is this --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18 . For twenty bucks you can't go wrong. It's my personal "bible" because it does something I've been waiting for for decades. It's shoots big holes through many of the myths that plague the fitness business today such as...

We really need to run for strong hearts or...

You need tons of protein to build muscle.

Women have the same musculature as men with very few exceptions. So, don't look for a "women's" book or you'll be limiting yourself to a very narrow field of choices. If you're worried about bulking up, don't. You don't have the genes for it. You need to train like a man.

Good luck and good health!!

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There is a group here on the boards for New Rules of Lifting For Women with lots of info and advice. I know there are women who are doing the workouts at home with dumbbells & home equipment. You can find the group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    I've been training for 40 years and have read volumes about strength training. The best book I have seen without exception is this --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18 . For twenty bucks you can't go wrong. It's my personal "bible" because it does something I've been waiting for for decades. It's shoots big holes through many of the myths that plague the fitness business today such as...

We really need to run for strong hearts or...

You need tons of protein to build muscle.

Women have the same musculature as men with very few exceptions. So, don't look for a "women's" book or you'll be limiting yourself to a very narrow field of choices. If you're worried about bulking up, don't. You don't have the genes for it. You need to train like a man.

Thank you, that's kind of what I'm looking for, but geared for women.
    I am training like a man :smile: But there is something to be said about a book geared specifically for women, anatomy illustrations that show a woman preforming the exercise. I think that would be easier to relate to. So I guess I'm looking for a book that trains "like a man", utilizing free weights & body weight, but made for a woman.
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    Any other books?
  • clickmaster
    Options
    Thank you, that's kind of what I'm looking for, but geared for women.
    I am training like a man :smile: But there is something to be said about a book geared specifically for women, anatomy illustrations that show a woman preforming the exercise. I think that would be easier to relate to. So I guess I'm looking for a book that trains "like a man", utilizing free weights & body weight, but made for a woman.
    I probably should have said "train like a human".

Check out what's available in your public or Uni library. You are wise to want to study. We all have one body to last a lifetime and it has no choice but to follow our brains. That means fitness begins by feeding the brain plenty of GOOD information...something which is very hard to find on the internet.

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love NROLW also! It's a great book. There are some moves that require machines so that's when I get out Women's Health Big Book of Exercises which literally has great illustrations of 100's exercises and variations for every muscle. I do have a 100 lbs worth of dumbbells and a total body cable machine and those get me through NROLW for the most part. I love the Big Book of Exercise book so that I can find an alternative when I don't have exactly what I need for NROLW. So far my results have been great and I don't feel like I've comprised anything by making just a couple adjustments thus far. Good luck!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    The Big Book of Exercises from Women's Health is amazing. It's got great routines and advice and demonstrates form variation. I recommend it highly!
  • MrsLVF
    Options
    Sounds like I have a few books to pick up.

I hear a lot of folks saying lift heavy, is that term literal.? At what weight does one start?
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

I hear a lot of folks saying lift heavy, is that term literal.? At what weight does one start?

The Big Book of Exercises goes into detail about that but yes, it's literal. There's also advice about how to select a starting weight. Basically, the "lift heavy" goal is to lift fewer reps with a challenging weight rather than a lighter weight for more reps.
  • MrsLVF
    Options

The Big Book of Exercises goes into detail about that but yes, it's literal. There's also advice about how to select a starting weight. Basically, the "lift heavy" goal is to lift fewer reps with a challenging weight rather than a lighter weight for more reps.

Thank you, I appreciate the simple to the point answer.
    I wish folks would just say challenging. For a beginner "heavy" could be 5lbs.