How much cardio?

Options
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if you are going from a sedentary lifestyle, ( Which I am ) and you want to start working out and doing cardio, how much should I do? Like how many minutes, and what type of cardio should I do? I walk on my treadmill, but after about 9-10 minutes, Im tired, because I NEVER work out. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Ashley

Replies

• Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Do what you can...everyone is different...
    but each time try and push yourself a little harder and a little further
    it will get easier each time...I promise :)
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    That makes sense. Thanks! :) I guess thats my problem, I don't push myself harder and further because I get discouraged when I feel tired at the same 9-10 minute mark. :/

Thanks again!
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Stick with it! Try to get your heart rate up for atleast 20 minutes!

http://www.straightforwardfitness.com/target-heart-rate.html
  • jmariesb
    jmariesb Posts: 7
    Options
    10 minutes is better than none at all. Just try to go a little longer each time. You'll see it gets easier the more you do.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do what you can...everyone is different...
    but each time try and push yourself a little harder and a little further
    it will get easier each time...I promise :)

I agree... and to be honest... you will see the increase in energy really quickly, it will shock you!!! There was a time only a few months ago when I would struggle to reach 10 minutes on the cross trainer, but now i can do an hour! Also, swimming is good to get into, but try and beat your previous time each time!

Good luck... it isn't easy!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Start small and work your way up to more. Do 10 minutes a day - or 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. Next week, do 15. You have to start somewhere!
  • demikel
    demikel Posts: 2
    Options
    Just moving in any way is a step in the right direction. Try new things like classes, dvd's and different types of machines to see what you like. If you like it, there is a better chance you'll stick with it! Also, mix it up a bit to keep it fresh and to keep your body guessing.
  • laurabell86
    laurabell86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find that especially for a person starting out one of the best things to do is a relatively short workout video. The pros of this are that you can do it right in your livingroom with little to no equipment and the fact that it is shorter will make it less daunting. I would suggest something like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. This video is approximately 30 mins in length and has a combination of cardio and strenth training. Also, it has 3 different level so you are always progressing. If your not a runner or haven't done much cardio its hard to stay motivated just running by yourself, where as is this video Jillian keeps your motivated and you don't get bored.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I find that cardio is a mental game. Just tell yourself to do one more minute and if you're dying you can stop. If not, do another minute and see how far you can push yourself.

Your body will catch up, but I found that I needed to get past my own mental blocks to begin with.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Are you listening to music or watchin TV while on the treadmill? 10 minutes feels like forever with no distractions.
  • khelwig
    khelwig Posts: 15
    Options
    Join a class! If you can find a buddy to go with, it is much more fun. I enjoy kickboxing but other fun classes are Zumba, Boot Camp or Cardio Fusion. All get your heartrate up and burn calories.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Options
    Everyone...or at least I think everyone
    hits a point in their workout when they're about to call it quits...
    when I hit that point...I push through it
    and sometimes end up doing double what I would have done had I given up
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Yeah I listen to my MP3 player. I get so paranoid about my heart rate and being out of breath. I should add that I have REALLY bad anxiety so this plays a part in my sedentary lifestyle.
  • khuckaby1
    khuckaby1 Posts: 69
    Options
    I agree with Becky. Do what you can without hurting yourself. If you can only do 9-10 minutes then the next day try to go 11 minutes and keep adding minutes as you can. It is amazing what you can actually push yourself to do. Eventually you will be going 25 or 30 minutes and will be amazed that you haven't always been able to do it. I think shows like the Biggest Loser make us think that we can push ourselves to do hours of exercise everyday when that is not true for the average person starting out. I started out doing 20 minutes and now I do between 35 and 45 almost everyday. Good luck and don't get discouraged. you will get there. Feel free to add me if you need some support.
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Are you listening to music or watchin TV while on the treadmill? 10 minutes feels like forever with no distractions.

Yeah I listen to my MP3 player. I get so paranoid about my heart rate and being out of breath. I should add that I have REALLY bad anxiety so this plays a part in my sedentary lifestyle.
  • khelwig
    khelwig Posts: 15
    Options
    Not sure where you are located, but if you can get outside and walk it is much more interesting than on the treadmill. Walk the dog, walk with a friend and enjoy the beauty. Work up to walking fast for a minute, then slow down a little and alternate every minute. You may find you want to start jogging! Have fun!
  • Peeeeeeeeeej
    Peeeeeeeeeej Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goal is. Do you want to be healthier than yes do cardio - I keep hearing that 30 minutes a day is key but you can separate that 30 minutes into 3 10 minute shots if youd like. If your looking to loose weight (fat) cardio is only essential in keeping your net calories at your goal. You should mix cardio with strength training and eating right for optimal gains in all departments.

As for cardio training - do what you can in a week and pick one day to be your push day. Try and keep your heart rate at a manageable pace (i.e. 55%-65% of HRM) - let's just say easy numbers around 120. Then on that push day try and get yourself to go 130 heart rate or increase your time of workout more. Once you succeed that's your new bench mark and move forward from there
  • julesassid
    Options
    I find that cardio is a mental game. Just tell yourself to do one more minute and if you're dying you can stop. If not, do another minute and see how far you can push yourself.

Your body will catch up, but I found that I needed to get past my own mental blocks to begin with.

I agree! I always say "one more song and if I'm still not dead I'll do one more." You can always slow down for a little bit to get your breath back, then speed up again. That goes for anything cardio, walking, jogging, elliptical, bike. "They" say to get at least 30 minutes per day of cardio to maintain weight, so split up your cardio - break time walks, evening treadmill, whatever works. Great job starting!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Options

Agreed!!! Nothing fuels a workout like a wicked playlist!!!
    I also like to play with the incline and speed to keep me distracted
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i am the BIGGEST exercise phobe ever but i am now doing 3/4 hours a week.

biggest tip is to get in the classes like zumba etc. time goes really quick and its actually fun!
    i have a 'gym buddy' to, we hop on the cross trainer, get chatting and before you realise 30 mins has passed. works wonders :)