No Carbs for a Week

Options
Has anyone ever tried no carbs for a week? Im thinking about doing no carbs next week because im weighing in on Friday and i want the scale to make me happy, in addition my stomach is going down at the slowest rate known to man so i figured cutting the carbs would help with that. ! Please share!!

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You can get good carbs from veggies and fruit, if you don't have those you will be lacking fiber and get backed up. You could cut outo your simple carbs and still allowb them from veggies and fruit and be happy with your results.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you just limit your carb intake to 80-85 per day you will lose weight fast. If you go below that, your body response like its in starvation mode. At least that's how it is for me. I went from eating a high carb diet to a low carb diet and drop 19lbs in a month. I wouldn't recommend no carb. Avoiding fruit, bread items & starchy vegetables should help you limit your carb intake,
  • conniehathcoat
    Options
    I do like a "carb-detox" week every 6-8 weeks and I love it. Little to no carbs (fresh veggies if any)...All protein in many forms. It makes me feel "cleaner", more energy, more in control of my eating...and less "heavy" feeling overal. I don't use the scale, but feel my clothes fit much better after the week. You can try it and see how it works for you. Everyone is different, but such a short term high protein/low-no carb menu will not hurt you...Good luck
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do keto. To get enough veggies in, and the random carbs from things like bacon, eggs etc, I have to set my carb count at about 20 a day. To aim for 0 carbs would be severely limiting as near everything has some carbs.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I do keto. To get enough veggies in, and the random carbs from things like bacon, eggs etc, I have to set my carb count at about 20 a day. To aim for 0 carbs would be severely limiting as near everything has some carbs.

keto as in ketosis?
  • traci2612
    traci2612 Posts: 40
    Options
    Each time I have limited or done no carbs, I lose a ton of weight at first. Then after about two weeks, without changing what I eat, it all comes back and then some...
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    nope, never tried it. don't envision trying it either... i would miss my fruits and veggies.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I try and limit all those empty carbs. Juices, sugary items, potatoes, bread and use my carbs for things like sweet potatoes, whole fruits that are filling as well as tasty.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I tried limiting my carbs once and it made me irritable. And then I binged. I've found it easier to just eat everything in moderation so that I don't end up doing the deprivation/gluttony cycle.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You'll drop water weight, that will come back as soon as you reintroduce carbs
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you need some carbs.

Your brain functions solely on carbs.

I understand that decreasing carbs can show really quick results in weight loss. But I think you should focus more on decreasing "bad", sugary carbs, than carbs all together. Once you go back to eating how you were, you'll just gain that water weight back.

Cutting out "bad" carbs for a week or so, can be a good detox to stop cravings, but personally I don't know how ideal it is in the long run. I incorporate all kinds of foods into my day, everything in moderation is so true.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Exactly...the main thing you're doing is depleting glycogen stores.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

OK, while I'm a carb fan, I do know no/low carbers that still have a functioning brain....
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    No carbs completely? that would mean no vegetables or fruits. You would eat nothing but protein for a week? I'm guessing you'd lose weight...but...I can't imagine eating nothing but meat/eggs/protein powder for a week. Just my personal bias...I like my veggies and fruits :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Exactly...the main thing you're doing is depleting glycogen stores.

Exactly. No need to make yourself suffer through that to see a number on the scale that is NOT fat loss
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

OK, while I'm a carb fan, I do know no/low carbers that still have a functioning brain....

+1
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Haha. That's because your body can turn other things into carbs to use, but I suppose supplying it with more carbs will in turn cause better brain function etc.
  • GMU_Butterfly
    Options
    There was an special on Dr. Oz the other day that said that a good way to lose weight is a high carb day and a low carb day varieting every other day, and one day of the week you can eat whatever you want. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works. Just an Idea if you want to try it.