Checking in from Long Island, NY!

I have always thought of myself as "athletic" but have been putting regaining control my diet and resuming regular exercise for some time now. This winter has been the worst yet for me as far as gaining weight. More than a month after starting an exercise regimen, I hadn't lost any weight and I finally became fed up/ disgusted. I have a seasonal business and it has been a few months since I've been out on a formal service call, so when I did finally pull my work pants on last week to go out on a call, I was really smacked in the face. Not only were my pants shockingly tight, but even doing minimal work that day was uncomfortable, and it made me think of all the things that have become uncomfortable since becoming this fat: getting in and out of the car, tying my shoes, sitting in the car, bending down to do anything, any kind or work that involves lifting, bending, crouching, reaching, squeezing or climbing. In my case I've noticed that the fat gets in the way, and that is unacceptable.

I was fooling myself about my diet. I guess I was attached to the idea that I'm one of those people who can just decide he wants to loose weight and can do it, without any help, tracking or measuring of food. But I needed something to help me start my progress so when my sister mentioned MFP I installed it on my android and have been loging on each day now for a week. What a great tool! I thought I knew enough about food, but having the info right in front of my face in so may different ways is teaching me quite a bit. My peak weight was 255 lbs. I weighed in at 250 lbs. last night and my goal is 200 lbs. A weight I haven't seen in many years. Being able to monitor and measure one's exercise and diet is of course valuable. In addition MFP makes me feel more accountable and I like the idea of community of people who share common goals. These things can only serve to make us more successful.

Come say hello : )

Replies

• RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Hi! You have come to the right place, there are so many great people on MFP who are here to re-claim their health and be more active. Tracking my food and realizing what I was doing to myself has been the biggest part of my weight loss. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend:)
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Argggh - sorry for the double post, my laptop hates me:(
  • Hi there. I, too, am new to this site. I also am currently in a seasonal job. It is crazy how quickly extra pounds can creep up. My [fat pants] are now tight and uncomfortable. I want to get on top of this before it gets too far out of control. I stumbled upon this site and I think it is the best weight loss tool I have ever came across on the internet. I have used it some in the last few weeks but now I need to get serious and committed. I really want to tone up before summer gets here. This site has really opened my eyes to what my diet is lacking nutritionally.

I truly believe this site has all the tools to make getting in shape & maintaining a healthy lifestyle very do-able.

Wishing us both lots of luck & success on this journey!