ecercise for hips and thighs

Options
i listen that Up and down step on the stair this exercise helpful for hips and thighs and make their size less is that true and really works or not?

Replies

• zobia
    zobia Posts: 91
    Options
    i listen that Up and down step on the stair this exercise helpful for hips and thighs and make their size less is that true and really works or not?
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Using a Stairmaster will tone your hips, thighs, and butt, but the only way to really make them smaller is to lose weight, too!:flowerforyou:
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Harley Pasternak of 5 Factor Fitness says that the stairmaster is great for toning the hips and thighs but he warns it might actually make them appear larger.
    The best workout I have found for making the hips and thighs smaller and the behind more lifted is "core fusion" or "The Method by Lotte Berk". Even after you lose weight the hips and thighs can appear large depending on your body type. These workouts seem to ballance the proportions of the upper and lower body and they pull the muscles closer to the bone, so that the body appear leaner and longer.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    ...pull the muscles closer to the bone, so that the body appear leaner and longer.

What??? This doesn't sound physiologically possible.......

zobia, you can't spot reduce. You can tone and strengthen specific muscle groups. But if it's fat you want to get rid of you just need to do cardio and it will come off from wherever it chooses.
  • slimkitty
    Options
    I don't know the physiology of muscles. That is what they say in their dvd workouts. I c an tell you for sure that the workouts are very effective in spot reducing. Maybe they are not reducing the fat in that specific area but the area does appear smaller in size.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think maybe they are talking about lengthening of muscles. It is possible to lengthen existing muscles, streching and yoga type activities can do this. But really, it's not going to be huge changes, a lot of it is genetics, some people just have shorter connective tissue in certain areas, which will lead to a bulkier look. Can you make it slightly less defined through low weight, high rep, and a lot of streching and isometrics? Sure, but it's still largely based on genetics and body type.
  • mom_luk
    mom_luk Posts: 6
    Options
    Sort of loosely related to this topic. I am doing Physio twice a week for lower back pain caused by my hips being out of alignment. Strangely it all comes back to working those core muscles. Who would a thunk that working those abs will strengthen hips, lower back etc. too.? I always thought sore joints and muscles was just part of getting older, but just doing a month of core work, I am able to start jogging again soon!
  • slimkitty
    Options
    mom-luk - I have had a similar experience as you. I was only able to walk for 10 minutes at a time and I could barely climb stairs without my knees and hips getting out of alignment and being in pain. After some chiropractic manipulations, lots of pilates and yoga and dance type workouts (they all focus on the core) I am running every day without any pain.