I read about it and said I wasn't going to do it...

Options
Well when I started here a month ago I read many posts about not eating enough (Less than 1,200). I knew better and yet for some reason I look back at my diary and many days I am less than 1,200 AND guess what?!?!? Yup, you guessed it, I am not losing any weight. So I would love some ideas on how to get the scale moving again.

Thanks in advance,
Katy

Edited to say that I started at 166 and I am currently at 158. 5'4" and 34 years young :) I also have Celiac Disease and can not eat gluten (Barley, Wheat, Rye)

Replies

• SmallerBecky
    Options
    Read The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Thank YOU so much, Katy, for opening my eyes! I wish I had listened to you over a year ago...
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It never seems hard when you're starting! When I first joined 1200 sounded like all I could eat was dust and hope. But once you switch to more low calorie nutrient dense foods, lots of fiber, lots of leafy filling things.... well I have trouble even stuffing myself with 1000 a day.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'll second the primal blueprint! Also, use measurements and clothes as your guide.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten and dairy free and regularly eat over 2000 calories, so I have some ideas for you (just reduce the portions to meet your own calorie goals - I am trying to maintain at this point, not lose).
    My diary isn't public, but I'll post the link to a couple of screen prints of my diary to give you some ideas.
    http://tinyurl.com/8x5o2ml
    http://tinyurl.com/7vpyzlb
  • susanrush
    susanrush Posts: 18
    Options
    For me, include more avocado and nuts. You can make a spread or dressing out of an avocado which will add fat and calories to help you reach your goal.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I found it SO much harder to lose weight after I went gluten-free! I wish I knew why.

Anyway, I stalled out, too, and I'm having more luck with the Spike Diet (search under groups). I eat around 1000-1200 calories a day during the week and spike on weekends.

Feel free to add me as a friend! :-D
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think you're just adorable. That is all. Best of luck!
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm eating under 1200 calories and exercise 5 days a week, and yet the last 6 weeks I keep seeing the same 2 lb difference.

My calories limit is 1200 and get under that, but then I exercise, I burn 350-500 calories. Should I eat all of that as well? Just seems like I'm eating so much.

My goal is to lose another 10-15 lbs more. These last few pounds to lose seems to go so slow for me.

I am open to some advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for the link! I will certainly up my calories and see what happens.:smile:
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Read The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Thank YOU so much, Katy, for opening my eyes! I wish I had listened to you over a year ago...

Great idea! Perfect for Celiac's.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,072 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. You already answered your own question.

um. Eat more.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. You already answered your own question.

um. Eat more.

thought it was just me...
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have advice on how to increase your calorie intake without gaining weight initially?
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I have to agree and say eat more. If you are consistenly eating too few calories, your body will start grabbing on to any nutrient it can get. I always make sure to try and come close to eating back all my calories every day. I do a fairly large and balanced breakfast, to fuel me for the day, and then follow the rest of the day with small meals / snacks. When I first started, I was very set on eating 3 meals a day / roughly 300-400 calories each. My first 2 weeks the weight flew off and then I hit a road block. When I changed my eating habits, ate more often, and ate more nutrient rich foods, I started to see a change.

Everyone is different, but it won't hurt to give it a try. Feel free to add me for support!
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Katy
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm eating under 1200 calories and exercise 5 days a week, and yet the last 6 weeks I keep seeing the same 2 lb difference.

My calories limit is 1200 and get under that, but then I exercise, I burn 350-500 calories. Should I eat all of that as well? Just seems like I'm eating so much.

My goal is to lose another 10-15 lbs more. These last few pounds to lose seems to go so slow for me.

I am open to some advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!

Im in the same boat :( but I have been eating half of my exercise calories back
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

^^^^^ THIS!!!!!!!

seriously - it has changed my life....I had a friend who started the paleo lifestyle about 2 years ago and would harp on me - I slowly began reading and reading and reading - I cut out some stuff - most breads, most pasta - but I had it stuck in my head that why should I give up whole grains - they are "good" for you....so kept eating those...and beans and a few other things that are not so good...

Did a whole food cleanse in November and when I went to go add some things back in - like some grains and some dairy - bad, bad things happened to my system....

After that I dropped almost all grains (except steel cut oats) and all cow dairy (would still have goat cheese or feta).

I am in the middle of a 30 day strict challenge and feel wonderful...under the "old" system I was lucky to loose maybe 1.5 lbs a month overall...2 weeks into Paleo I am down almost 4 lbs...and not hungry and eating a ton of great food...(around 1350-1450/day depending on my exercise output - I don't eat back my calories but don't sweat it if i go over my calories on a workout day)
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It never seems hard when you're starting! When I first joined 1200 sounded like all I could eat was dust and hope. But once you switch to more low calorie nutrient dense foods, lots of fiber, lots of leafy filling things.... well I have trouble even stuffing myself with 1000 a day.

HAHA! Dust and hope! Amazing.

To OP-I have trouble now, too! Especially since I started working out. I have tried to loosen my obsession over the macros (going over on protein, carbs, sugar etc.) a little bit because I found that I would get trapped by those numbers an felt like I couldn't eat anything because it would send me over those numbers. I would try adding things like Avocado, olive oil, and peanut butter that are calorie rich and also fill you up.