TRIM TUMMY PEOPLE.....HOW????

Options
2»

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Again let me state, cardio is NOT necessary. Heavy compound lifts will do a lot more to flatten your abs out than running, in my personal opinion. I do a mix of both, myself(mostly lifting at this point).
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Low body fat % = trim tummy. Keep going, you'll get there. There's no magic trick, just a combination of proper diet, strength training, and cardio.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Eating clean!!!! Ask Jamie Eason ;)
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was always a belly fat person.. until I started running. Ask a runner, our bellies are flat. It melts off like butter. Then I began working my core to define it out. I use bootcamp to do the core work, since nearly every exercise is a core one. It's worked wonders for me.

I've heard that about running. I do everythine else right, exercise, eat clean, and I am actually not interested in losing more weight. Thanks for the running tip! I'm on it!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Low body fat % = trim tummy. Keep going, you'll get there. There's no magic trick, just a combination of proper diet, strength training, and cardio.

Heres the thing though, the more I lose, the smaller my boobs get. I'm not sure if I'm willing to sacrifice my boobs for a 6 pack...or am I? it's the great debate, this is why men's advise is something I can't really take because men don't have or want boobs...SIGH!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Lose more weight until the fat is gone. There's no trick to it.

^^^This~It's all about BF%
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options

So true but so hard to do.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's the Visceral fat thats a killer. You only lose this by doing extreme cardio and watching your diet. (By extreme I mean minimum of 60 minutes a day.)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362728-programs-for-visceral-fat-loss/

Did you read the article?

It says that visceral fat responds particularly well to dietary changes and recommend at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. The author cites a 2009 American Society of Nutrition study that found that belly fat reduction responded just as well to moderate exercise as it did to intense exercise when participants reduced calorie intake.

My own belly flattened only when it was good and darned ready, which wasn't until I was down to the final 10 pounds. The fat that remained was mostly flabby, squishy subcutaneous fat, though. I don't know how much visceral fat was still around, but I was wearing size 6 jeans by then (size 4 now).
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Again let me state, cardio is NOT necessary. Heavy compound lifts will do a lot more to flatten your abs out than running, in my personal opinion. I do a mix of both, myself(mostly lifting at this point).

Agree!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

So true but so hard to do.
    Eating clean doesn't inherently give you abs, but it does give you the ability to act smug around others.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do 45-60 min of cardio each day and eat right. Strength training mixed in will help as muscle burns fat.

Also, word to the wise...people that do more cardio live a lot longer than people who only lift weights.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I
    Agree
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I was always a belly fat person.. until I started running. Ask a runner, our bellies are flat. It melts off like butter. Then I began working my core to define it out. I use bootcamp to do the core work, since nearly every exercise is a core one. It's worked wonders for me.

I've heard that about running. I do everythine else right, exercise, eat clean, and I am actually not interested in losing more weight. Thanks for the running tip! I'm on it!

If you're looking to lose more fat from any part of your body, you're going to lose weight. Fat has a weight. There's no way around it. There is lots of advice to exercise and lift weights and all that, but they are recommending these things for the purpose of losing fat so that you have a flat tummy. I've already said it once, and I'll say it again - there's no trick! Lose fat until it comes off the areas you want it off of. Nothing more, nothing less. How you lose that fat is up to you. The only way you're gonna lose the belly without losing weight is to gain good weight at the same time (muscles).

If you're worried about your boobs, well then that's a judgement call, but no exercise or trick is going to change the way your body decides to distribute fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lower body fat is the ONLY thing that will give you abs. Now matter the amount of cardio or strength training, if it isn't mixed with a caloric deficit, then you are SOL.

For those who say, look at runners. There are several running clubs where I live, and many still have love handles. Excessive cardio without a proper diet will create a large deficit. Large deficit will create your body to conserve fat. Also, I have many people who NEVER do cardio but have 5% body fat and abs. So once again, exercise doesn't matter, but decreasing your body fat does.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This is an e-mail reply I sent to someone who asked me how I went from where I was to where I am now...

I myself never thought I would be able to get rid of my belly until I read an article which talked about the importance of getting off the floor to accomplish stomach fat burn - at first I was thinking these people are crazy but as you can tell they were right... when you do crunches you are developing the ab muscle but not burning the fat covering that muscle - but I won't get too much in to that.

So... no matter what exercise you are doing, always and I mean ALWAYS have your core engaged (stand up straight and suck in that belly) - on the treadmill, while lifting weights... ALWAYS...

Here are some of the exercises I do -cable machine (I am no sure if you use the gym or not) it is the motion what really works so free weights are ok...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-wood-chop
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-lift
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pallof-press-with-rotation
    Cruches on a stability ball holding a weight straight up over you chest
    Standing side crunch - weight over head as if pulling down to the side as I lift straight to the side the leg of the same side (hope you understand that explanation, lol)
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    bump