What calorie goal do I go with to see results?

Options
So, some feedback would be appreciated. I’m currently 5’7 and 140lbs. I know it’s a healthy weight but I would like to lose some lbs, I have a small frame and my doctor thinks around 130 would be a good weight for me. I originally set up MFP to lose 1 lb/week and my calorie goal was 1240. I feel like I have stalled and have been between 137 – 141 for months now! For a bit I changed my goal to lose .5lbs/week and around 1400 calories but I stayed around the same weight.

I am going to try and up my calories to see if that works. I just wonder if I am thinking of this correctly. Per http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ my BMR is 1437. I think I’m moderately active since I live in a major city and walk a lot and also work out about 5-6 days a week (some days of harder workouts, some days of yoga). Per the website my calories needed to maintain my weight would be 2,227 so if I subtract 500 calories from that my daily intake should be 1,727. When I put in my stats into MFP losing .5 lbs and sedentary (I do sit in front of a computer for 8 hours) it’s still calculating my calorie goals to be 1490/day. Thoughts on which calorie goal I should go with? I’m so tired of eating well and working out and not seeing results! Also, I have taken measurements/pics and do not see any major changes. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    When you use MFP's calorie goal, have you been eating the exercise calories or not?

The 1727 includes exercise calories, the 1240 doesn't. If you ate the exercise calories (given the yoga, walking, and workouts you described) they probably wouldn't be really different.

I'd also check to make sure that you've been calculating your calories accurately by weighing/measuring if you haven't. The only stuff I don't measure is stuff like broccoli/carrots where if I'm over I don't think it's a big deal. Meat, fruit, and dairy are all measured.