Should I be Sore?

Options
I recently hit my goal weight and have decided to change my workout to increased amounts of weight training. I researched online and found a routine for beginners that both feels appropriately challenging and still gives options for adding more weight over time.

However, I've noticed that on my "rest days" between the gym I don't feel the soreness that I would expect to feel.

Is muscle soreness really a good metric for judging your workout? If I'm not feeling anything, does this mean I should skip ahead to increased weights or more reps? (NOTE: I'm not using any kind of "recovery" drink or doing anything special to prevent muscle soreness. My only after gym tonic is a glass of chocolate milk with some protein powder mixed in)

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    yes, i'd increase the weight (so you're struggling at the end of a set) not the reps.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't have any scientific basis for this, but I would feel like I wasn't getting a good enough workout if I wasn't experiencing some sore/stiff muscles after a workout. I'd pump it up, increase weights, or try something more challenging.