Asking for advice

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Good morning! I have been sitting here reading through the topics regarding "what to expect", "reasons you're not losing weight", etc... I am hoping that you all will be willing to give me some advice based on my situation and what I have experienced so far.

I started on MFP on March 26th. I am 5' 6.5" and weighed 136. I have a desk job. Before starting, I was working out 3 times a week, and just being somewhat conscience of what I was eating, I wasn't by any means eating fast/junk food all day every day, but was probably eating too much/not properly. I set my goal weight at 125. In the first week, I lost 3 pounds and was very pleased with the difference, especially in my tummy. I was noticeably thinner in the stomach area. Then, celebrating Easter with family, I am sure I went well over my 1230 calories, but still did not eat any more than I would have in the past. Since that day, my stomach is back to what it looked like, or even worse than before I started. I am still down 3-4 total pounds since I started. I have upped my cardio by more than double, and kicked up the weight training. I am eating around 1230 calories a day, mostly oatmeal, strawberries, salad, tuna, hummus, triscuits, celery, lean ground beef, etc... I am watching my sodium very closely and getting around 1700 mg/day. So, I guess here is my major point: I want to slim down and lose fat in my mid area (stomach, thighs, butt/legs) and just be thinner in general and more comfortable in my clothes. I am thinking I may need to change my goals to lose half a pound a week? Maybe I am not getting enough calories to burn? Any suggestions for someone who is trying to slim down and lose 10-15 pounds? Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Good morning! I have been sitting here reading through the topics regarding "what to expect", "reasons you're not losing weight", etc... I am hoping that you all will be willing to give me some advice based on my situation and what I have experienced so far.

I started on MFP on March 26th. I am 5' 6.5" and weighed 136. I have a desk job. Before starting, I was working out 3 times a week, and just being somewhat conscience of what I was eating, I wasn't by any means eating fast/junk food all day every day, but was probably eating too much/not properly. I set my goal weight at 125. In the first week, I lost 3 pounds and was very pleased with the difference, especially in my tummy. I was noticeably thinner in the stomach area. Then, celebrating Easter with family, I am sure I went well over my 1230 calories, but still did not eat any more than I would have in the past. Since that day, my stomach is back to what it looked like, or even worse than before I started. I am still down 3-4 total pounds since I started. I have upped my cardio by more than double, and kicked up the weight training. I am eating around 1230 calories a day, mostly oatmeal, strawberries, salad, tuna, hummus, triscuits, celery, lean ground beef, etc... I am watching my sodium very closely and getting around 1700 mg/day. So, I guess here is my major point: I want to slim down and lose fat in my mid area (stomach, thighs, butt/legs) and just be thinner in general and more comfortable in my clothes. I am thinking I may need to change my goals to lose half a pound a week? Maybe I am not getting enough calories to burn? Any suggestions for someone who is trying to slim down and lose 10-15 pounds? Thanks a bunch!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would definately change it 1/2 pound a week. You are small enough that it would be near impossible to lose more than that. Also changing up what you eat can also help
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    WOW! :huh: I just changed my goals to lose 1/2 pound per week and it upped my calories to 1470!!! Should I do that? What should I add to my meals to make up those calories? It was easy for me to stay around 1230 eating the way I was. :indifferent:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am no expert ok? I am 45yrs old, 5'5" and 129 (last time I weighed myself was about 3 wks ago). I started on MFP in Jan 08 at 148lbs. I first set up my weight goal to 130 but once I was close to that changed it to 125lbs. What I've learned through this journey:

It is hard to lose those last 10-15 lbs. Your body fights it all the way, unfortunately :grumble: A lot of patience but consistency is needed to reach your goal.

Increase your cardio, not necessarily the duration, but the intensity. And add variety, try not to do the same old workouts all the time.

Strength trng is very important, perhaps more important than cardio. Lift as heavy as you can, always maintaining proper form to avoid injuring yourself.

Water, water, water!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Your nutrition is also very important. No, you cannot eat all you want just because you are exercising. You said that you are eating well, great!!!! Try to eat as clean as possible most of the time. I started out eating my exercise calories. I invested in a HRM for better accuracy of calories burned. Now I still eat most of my exercise calories but not all. It depends on how hard my workout was and how my body feels.

Everybody is different and some people will lose weight first in certain places and others won't. There is no way you can spot reduce, it depends on your body. Just learn to love your body type. I know it is hard but that you are unique and you cannot change it.

I know some MFP members who have lost the same amount of weight in less time than I did but they used very strict rules such as not eating out until they lost the weight etc. That is too extreme for me and my relationship with my hubby :laugh: So you do what you think is best for you and set your own rules and act on them.

I hope this helps. Take care!! You can do it!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Do some research on here...........when I had a PT she told me that some tummy exercises will make it bulge out instead of go flat.

She had me doing planks, leg lifts, and leg pus ups.

I am not sure what exercises you should do, but why dont you look into the whether the ones you are doing are making your stomach muscles bulge

Also, have you measured? I know I feel 'fatter' on some days then others.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Do some research on here...........when I had a PT she told me that some tummy exercises will make it bulge out instead of go flat.

I am not sure what exercises you should do, but why dont you look into the whether the ones you are doing are making your stomach muscles bulge

Those are the ab exercises that I like doing.

As far as what you can add to your food to make up those calories. I would add in a hand full of nuts or add some PB to your raw veggies or fruit. Try uping each meal by about 50 calories and it won't seem like your eating that much more.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

Those are the ab exercises that I like doing.

As far as what you can add to your food to make up those calories. I would add in a hand full of nuts or add some PB to your raw veggies or fruit. Try uping each meal by about 50 calories and it won't seem like your eating that much more.

Could you give me some more info on how to do those ab exercises?
    I could go for some PB- I will get the natural kind!
  • MyAngelAndMe2
    Options
    _______________________________________________________________________________

:sad: You've got to be kidding me!?!?!

It's probably the ones I'm doing :grumble:

I need to know so I don't do those!!! :noway:

Anyone know?