Need random advice about an acquaintance!

Options
barefoot76
barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
Here's the short of it: There is a lot of hoopla up at my kids' elementary school about parking, specifically about people parking in no parking zones during pick-up and drop-off. We've been working on getting the word out, making sure signage is adequate etc. Still, we have some repeat offenders.

There's a mom in one of my kid's class who I saw the other morning (I don't know her name), and I thought I would try just speaking with her directly. I wasn't angry, I tried to say as politely as possible, "You seem like a really nice person, so I hope you won't mind if I ask you to please not park in the no parking zone when you drop off your son." She got an angry look on her face, so I continued, "There are a lot of kids who walk to school here, and we just want to make sure that they are safe when crossing the street since they could get hit if cars can't see them."

The mother responded, "Are you saying I hit a child with my car?"

Obviously, this wasn't going to go well. So I just shut it down and said, "I thought you might understand, but it is the law, there are signs posted, and I'd appreciate if you would obey the signs. Thanks for listening."

As I walked off, she said to my back, "Yeah, well, if you didn't give me attitude, maybe I'd think about it." And I've seen her parking in the no parking zone ever since.

Now, we've asked our local officer to patrol regularly, but I guess he hasn't caught her yet. In the meantime, I know I will run into her again, and I'm feeling lots of stress about how it might go. Does anyone have any advice about how I can handle myself maturely and respectfully? Trust me, the desire to get snarky and sarcastic is overwhelming, but I'd really like to be the adult in this scenario ;-) Any suggestions?

Replies

• chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    take down her tag number, tell her you are reporting her to the authorities the next time she does this. my cousin is a cop, and something can be done about it if you can prove she repeatedly breaks the law. good luck!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Slash her tires, with a note that says "told you to read the FREAKING signs!"
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't see where you gave her attitude. But then again, some people are always grumpy/angry/pissed at the world etc. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do about it. When it's her kid in danger she may think differently but until then there's not a whole lot you can do. Just smile at her, that drives those grumpy types insane. :)
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not being alone when approaching her. Have a witness, camera, microphone at hand in case she "flares up" to gather evidence.
  • IZZG
    IZZG Posts: 2
    Options
    Simply just say, "hello" to her. No need to go into a long conversation or rehash what took place. You all didn't speak previously and you probably wont be friends now. So if you simply just say hello, she will probably either ignore you or speak back and you are done. If she ignores you, you keep it moving. You have made an attempt. If she speaks back you will at least be on speaking terms.
  • jessicas0215
    Options
    Wow! That lady was kind of a jerk, huh? I guess the best you can do is tell the local Officer who does the patrol an approximate time of when she does this...
    Have you let school officials know about this? They might be able to say something to her about this?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'd take a picture of her parked there, tag and all. And take that to the police officer. Once she has a ticket mailed to her house, she might get a clue.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Ahhh the entitlement issue...as in, her time is more valuable than everyone else's and the rules don't apply to her. I wouldn't get snarky or sarcastic either (but how great would that feel!?!) but rather just do what you did again and say something like this ... "Maybe you misunderstood me the first time, but the reason the signs are here are to keep all the children safe. I'm sure you understand that parent to parent" or some load of bull like that ... if that doesn't work, call in her plates!
  • iampam4399
    iampam4399 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Remind her that you hope and pray it's not HER child that is hit one day by the ones that refuse to obey the safety rules!!!
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Options
    OY!!! This is toughie. Kids' safety comes first. So I could totally see myself getting snarky on this one. Especially if I've already spoke to her about it before. I would let her know that there is an officer patroling and you would to see her get a ticket. So it would be wise to not park there.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

OMG LMAO, my thoughts exactly!!!

:bigsmile:
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

yes.....THIS ^^^
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Whenever you see her; say "good morning" and you know.. like "how's it going" or "nice day, huh".. just something small and cheery. You could end up being friends. If not, you tried. Never give her the opportunity to know she got under your skin. If it seems difficult at first, it gets easier. :flowerforyou:

PS You'll know you are successful if she quits parking there.
  • barefoot76
    Options

LOL!!! You are no help at all!!! :-D Ahhh, a girl can dream...
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    what a sour grape of a person!

My thoughts are:
    - you already communicated your valid point and she understands it, she's choosing to be spiteful. Any further communication will be fruitless.

- It stinks, because a child is at risk, but unfortunately I dont think there is anything more you can actually do other than keep urging your patrol person to be on the look-out. She will get a citation, eventually.

- Further encounters: don't do anything to avoid her, but also don't go out of your way to antagonize her. Live and let her live in her sour-puss ways. If further interaction occurs, end it briskly and change focus.

difficult personalities stink :(
  • barefoot76
    Options
    Simply just say, "hello" to her. No need to go into a long conversation or rehash what took place. You all didn't speak previously and you probably wont be friends now. So if you simply just say hello, she will probably either ignore you or speak back and you are done. If she ignores you, you keep it moving. You have made an attempt. If she speaks back you will at least be on speaking terms.

I hate that you're right, but... you're right!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'd take a picture of her parked there, tag and all. And take that to the police officer. Once she has a ticket mailed to her house, she might get a clue.

Not sure what state it is in, but in some states, officers can only write a ticket for a misdemeanor committed "in their presence"...if this is the case, that might not work. But it would not hurt to try, or maybe even call the local news and see if they will come out and do a story on everyone who is making the area unsafe for children. I bet if she was featured on the local 7:00 evening news, she might change her tune.
  • sunnykm
    sunnykm Posts: 24
    Options
    Let the police or School do the enforcement.I know you are concerned, you can not go around and ask stupid people to follow the rules. she can call the police on you for anything, so let the authorities do their job!!
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The idea of smiling at her will probably drive her crazy. So will just saying hello to her - you'll probably put her off guard. Good for you for walking away when she had her little comment - that takes will power! And if you happen to notice her again, jot down her license plate and let the officer know the plate and time she was there - eventually they'll catch up to her.
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options

totally agree as the mature sensible thing to do. ^^^^

I however, in situations where for some reason ppl decide to grow a pair and talk smack for no reason, have a tendency to immediately tell them like it is. I would listen to the guy who posted this (since it is at your childs school) and maybe she will be in less of b*tch mode next time then she may actually listen. Or just stop parking in the no parking zone, if not your back in the same position you're in now so it won't hurt anything