Comfort Food to Healthy!

Options
mrsepiphany
mrsepiphany Posts: 142 Member
I have a blog www.thinmeals.blogspot.com that i just started that gives healthier options to dishes. I cook everyday and am currently tweaking my own recipes to share. What are some comfort foods you would love to have a healthier and tasty version of?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    (Low Carb, Calorie and Fat) Apple Pie with real crust and real sugar. But that is impossible. I know, I've tried.
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    (Low Carb, Calorie and Fat) Apple Pie with real crust and real sugar. But that is impossible. I know, I've tried.

you know i was thinking about apple pie because my hubby eats so much of the frozen ones. I just might give it a shot. Wish me luck.

What variations did you use?
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, I really miss them :cry:
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Anything lemony... I have really been craving lemon baked stuff. The only thing that I have around here are these pound cake slices at starbucks that are like 500 cals.

I don't care if its cake/scones/muffins but a lemon baked item would be awesome.
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    lol i'm working on lemony baked stuff now. I been craving lemon cake for the last two weeks
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    lol i'm working on lemony baked stuff now. I been craving lemon cake for the last two weeks
    How can you lose weight and taste test all these recipes. I would be as big as a house. :noway:
    Thanks for your sacrifice on our behalf.:flowerforyou:
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, I really miss them :cry:

emilybites.com has a lemon poppy sead doughnut recipe that is amazing!
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes, hot tuna casserole, any casserole really...lol, muffins, biscuits, anything cream based...lol....lasagna that isn't wierd sounding
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    chicken pot pie!
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    coffee cake, waffles....anything with big servings with low calories. i am not a fan of recipes that the serving is only one cup and it has like 400 calories. i want at least 1 1/2 to 2 cup servings!!!!
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com has a lemon poppy see muffin recipe I think :) and other yummy yummy stuff
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    thanks!
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Some sort of microwave mug cake :-)
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    Some sort of microwave mug cake :-)

3-2-1 cake is on here all the time.
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    how funny, that's one of the things i blog about, too!! i just did a remake of shepherd's pie tonight for dinner and it was actually UHHH-MAYYYZING!! took a popular FN recipe from over 700 cals a serving to 450 without compromising serving size or flavor! seriously a great blog idea... go you!! :drinker:

http://cooktravelcaffeinate.blogspot.com/2012/03/recipe-makeover-challenge-shepherds-pie.html
  • loulouBean
    loulouBean Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    coffee cake, waffles....anything with big servings with low calories. i am not a fan of recipes that the serving is only one cup and it has like 400 calories. i want at least 1 1/2 to 2 cup servings!!!!
    I've already conqured some of your wants! We make homade cream gravy and have it on a cup of spaghetti squash, with a veggie and salid, a meat for around 300-325 cals total! Also, meatloaf, meatballs, creamed soups. We're right now eating on a huge yummy tater casseole big slices for 244 cals. I run them all throug mfp recipies so I have a list of ingredients, I can easily remember the recipes. Just let me know. I love cooking and finding ways of having my faves for less calories too!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    bump
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have a blog www.thinmeals.blogspot.com that i just started that gives healthier options to dishes. I cook everyday and am currently tweaking my own recipes to share. What are some comfort foods you would love to have a healthier and tasty version of?

I'm glad you have taken this on. Back in the "olden days" when I was a Weight Watchers member, I used to take just about any recipe and modify it to fit into the WW exchange program. That was before computers and sharing. Good luck and "atta girl" for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love doing this too! A lot of recipes you can just take out/use less of the butter/oil and save TONS of calories. Sub skim milk for cream, use applesauce in place of oil, egg whites or substitute for eggs, stevia(or whatever no cal sweetener) instead of sugar, light sour cream instead of mayo. I use shredded up zucchini or spaghetti squash in place of noodles a lot. Rinsing ground meat after cooking cuts out a lot of fat too. With casseroles, use less noodles or rice and fill it with lots of veggies and cut the amount of cheese in half or just put it on top...I'm not a huge fan of low fat cheese. Also, using a strong flavored cheese like feta will help you to use less of it. As far as gravy goes, when I make a pot roast, or any meat in the crock pot, I cut up some onion, celery, carrots & garlic in to cook with the meat and then once they are soft, I puree them in the blender with some of the cooking liquid and it makes a nice thick sauce that's great over mashed potatoes, veggies or meat. Its not exactly gravy, but it does the job.
    There are some things that just have to be the real, full calorie, full fat deal, but if you make better choices with everything else, you can afford(calorie wise) to have those things here and there.