New, overweight, and training for a triathlon!

Options
sterphy
sterphy Posts: 68 Member
Hello all,
I am so excited to be here! I am the kind of 'dieter' that has lost the same 10 lbs over and over again the last 5 years, and I'm ready to put an end to it. I am 6' tall, weighing in at 210 lbs and figure I have around 40-45 to lose. In the past, I would commit myself for 3 weeks (tops) and then just throw in the towel. This time I want to be held accountable and use myfitnesspal everyday, no matter how cringe-worthy the numbers can be on a bad day!

I am 23, female and looking for an accountability buddy. I plan on training for the next 23 weeks to try to be ready for a triathlon in Traverse City, MI on August 19th. I have never done anything like this before and I am aware it is rather ambitious but knowing myself, I need to dream big in order to stick to my eating and exercise plan. Hope to make some friends here, can't wait to get more involved in this supportive community :)

Replies

• miss_september
    Options
    Howdy! I did my first sprint triathlon three years ago, so it is not as scary as it seems. I've been doing them ever since. I am also currently tri-training, and working on weight-loss in the process. You can add me if you'd like, I'd be happy to help however I can =-).
  • skibaer
    skibaer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My coworker talked me into doing a triathlon in October. It'll be my first tri too. We can support each other!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm currently training for my first sprint tri in June... 4 days before my 30th birthday! Got the running and the riding down, but the swimming is kicking my butt (in a good way)!

I'm in for accountability buddies to keep up and motivate with training! We can do this!!

Good luck with your events!!
  • heidi370
    heidi370 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint triathlon last year with hardly any training (swimming is my weak point, I've always biked.) It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but my goal this year is to train AND lose weight - hopefully 30 pounds this year. I'm signed up for the WIN for KC triathlon (all women) in late July, and have a lot of work to do before then! I also am trying to commit myself to logging on and recording my diet and exercise daily to keep myself accountable. I'm 28, and have gained 10 pounds since I started grad school last fall (at which point I was already overweight).

Feel free to add me if you want. I made up a 16 week training calendar that's fairly conservative, if you want a copy of that.

good luck and have fun!
    heidi
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to do a triathlons but stopped about 4 years ago. I plan to do 2-3 this year.. nothing big, but I am still looking forward to it and I am enjoying the training. After you do your first you will be hooked. It can also be very humbling. As you may know, everyone has their age written on the back of their calf muscle. When you get passed by a 13 year old kid of a 72 year old grandmother, yet you are so exhausted you can't go any faster... well I remember those moments when I am working out and I want to quit a little early, or skip a workout, etc. Good luck
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first Triathlon in June!. Welcome!!