Running/Exercise for LITTLE kids??

Options
As a former Sergeant of Marines, I'm volunteering with my local Young Marines chapter. They have physical fitness training at each meeting and I'm wondering how I should structure the training. The young adults 12 to 18 can generally hang with a standard platoon run (about 5.5 mph pace for about 1.5 miles, while calling cadence).

But the kids from 7 to 11--JUST HOW MUCH CAN THEY TAKE? Of course, I have NO intention or desire to overwork any of these kids, but when it comes to this 1.5-mile formation run, are their little bodies and muscles too fragile to handle the distance? How about the pace?

It's important for me to be able to train all of the Young Marines--from ages 7 to 18--as a unit, as a team...but I recognize that in several areas--from physical fitness to classroom instruction to general supervision--I'll HAVE to work them separately, i.e., in groups according to age range. I'm not too concerned with how to separate classroom instruction and general supervision. I'm VERY concerned with physical fitness training though.

So, please offer what advice and experience you have in the area of "exercise for 7- to 11-year-old boys and girls."

(Please, don't respond to this unless you have valid experience--either as someone with trainer experience, or as a parent/guardian who actively engages in physical activity with children. This is very important, and as I read through responses, it'd be helpful to not have to wade through superfluous comments like, "Take it easy on 'em!" or "Yeah, they should be fine!" Please back up whatever advice you have with solid info/experience. Thanks!)

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old who has walked several 5Ks with me (or, attempted to run, but tires out quick and ends up walking). I honestly wouldn't do more than that with him. And I wouldn't do it more than, say, once a month. Even though he's a bit more energetic than most kids, it still wears him out pretty good.

There are two older kids I've seen in the local races (9, 11) and they actually run the race. I just think these are the exception, not the norm. I've seen one mile runs for kids under 12 here in the local area, with the younger set walking.

HTH
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    I have a 3 yr old and we hike pretty regularly (easy, flat trails), and he can walk almost 1 mile before tiring. The other day, we walked and ran nearly a mile (he just ran when he wanted and walked when he wanted) and had a blast.

I know this is a much younger age than the kiddos you're working with and I'm not entirely sure of what's recommended for 7-11 yr olds. But based on the kids I see do the "Kids K" or "Kids 1k" type runs that are sometimes part of local 5k's and 10k's, I would think that 1.5 miles would be fine for that age group, especially if they build up slowly.

Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11828-0,00.html

Also, you might do a google search for more good info. When I was thinking about starting a kids running program (didn't end up doing it), I remember finding some helpful info on line.

Good luck!
  • melodyking
    Options
    i run with my little girl and do some swimming on weeknights. recently she's showing interest when i do crossfit at the house. might buy her some toys from https://www.facebook.com/WODtoys to get her started. and then maybe she can make it her workout.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Last year, I did a 23-mile walk hike which included a total ascent of 1,090 metres.

There were young children, anywhere as young as 5 or 6, who did the first 9.5 miles of this walk (including a sharp 750m ascent) without too many problems. In fact, some around 9 or 10 years old ran quite a bit of that. Put me to shame!

Obviously it'll depend on the kids, but many are capable of far more than we think they are. I don't agree with all this "young children shouldn't walk a couple of miles a day/we shouldn't be trying to help children become active". They're not bad, these little ones!