funny body fat estimation

Options
i've tried all sorts of online calculators as well as real life machines and each time they say something very different, no matter i did them perhaps several hours apart...

however, this site that i just found http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/pi.shtml surpassed every estimation and difference i've ever seen in my wildest dreams LOL

Estimate #1 based on height and weight
Your "Ponderal Index" is 10.97 which gives an estimated body fat of 54.6% (119.1 pounds of fat)

Estimate #2 based on waist size and weight
Estimated body fat of 17.1% (37.3 pounds of fat)

how is that even possible, the site estimates it based on 2 different methods and according to one i am someone dangerously fat, according to the other i am almost with an unhealthy body fat % :noway: :laugh:

Replies

• purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    i've tried all sorts of online calculators as well as real life machines and each time they say something very different, no matter i did them perhaps several hours apart...

however, this site that i just found http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/pi.shtml surpassed every estimation and difference i've ever seen in my wildest dreams LOL

Your "Ponderal Index" is 10.97 which gives an estimated body fat of 54.6% (119.1 pounds of fat)

Estimated body fat of 17.1% (37.3 pounds of fat)

how is that even possible, the site estimates it based on 2 different methods and according to one i am someone dangerously fat, according to the other i am almost with an unhealthy body fat % :noway: :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    IMHO, nix the online BF% calculators, and nix the machines using biometric impedance, they are both wildly inaccurate ways to measure body fat. Really if you want to be accurate, find somewhere that does hydrostatic testing (about 3% margin for error) or worst case, find an experienced personal trainer to do a caliper test (about 5 to 7 % margin for error usually). Those online calculators can be up to 20% off, and more if you measure inaccurately. An alternative to hydrostatic is a new device called the Bod Pod, poping up at health and wellness centers all over the place, the accuracy is about the same as hydrostatic, but you don't have to get dunked in water (I think the cost is about the same though.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I found out these things just are not accurate, I know I am not obese, but these things tell me that I am , and then offer a great "weight loss" drug advertisement. A horrible way to advertise, and play off our weakness's. :huh:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    i know... if this wasn't a proof what a fluke all these estimations are... i just click here and there and happen upon one of them sometimes, so for curiosity sake i check what it will tell me... i was just thinking, imagine how many people click them and these absurd results may make someone skinny go on some crazy diet (perhaps from an adverisement that pops up) just because the silly thing said they are obese... arrgh! :noway:
  • lbelle417
    lbelle417 Posts: 5
    Options
    Try to locate a Bod Pod. They are relatively cheap (around $25 per test) and they really help to keep you on track and to know if what you're doing is resulting in fat loss and muscle gain or if it's not working. Stay away from online stuff. You'll just become really frustrated.
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    I thought maybe you did a typo, so tried it myself and got quite a difference on my result as well.

Your "Ponderal Index" is 11.94 which gives an estimated body fat of 34.8% (73.2 pounds of fat)

Estimated body fat of 18.1% (37.9 pounds of fat)

Both are less fat than another site I had tried here: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    which asks for more information/measurements

said I had 39.85%
    83.68 lbs. of body fat
    126.32 lbs. lean body mass

I had checked it out to get a rough guess but now I'm thinking this guess may just be a stab in the dark.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Funny:

On the first I'm at about 45% and the second at 7%. I can only assume it's because I have a small waist in comparison with the rest of me.

You're right, these calculators are not very accurate and could be terribly demotivating.....