DOES ANYONE ELSE EAT FAST?!?!!!!

Options

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I was the 6th of 7 kids and 4 of the 5 ahead of me were boys. If you didn't eat fast at that dinner table you didn't eat.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Totally. I used to worry about it... Now, not so much. Although sometimes I find myself counting, just because I'm curious- do I chew less or just chew faster?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    OH yeah! I really like my meals to be hot and fresh, so I kind of just shovel it into my face. If I'm with people I TRY to do better, doesn't always work.

Kevin James from King of Queens said he was such a fast eater that he would go to restaurants and order one meal to come out first and a second one to come out with the rest of the table's dinners. He'd pound the first one and eat the second with everyone else. But I met him once and he wasn't as big as you'd expect him to be...
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I do and always have. I love eating sushi with chopsticks though, it makes me slow down but yeah, it almost always looks like I'm racing.

I always said it was because I have wayyy better things to be doing than eating, I feel the same about sleeping as well though I do make sure to get 6-7 hours most of the time.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have four children, I either devour my food or its cold, or someone sneezes in it, or someone spills milk on it, or someone wants it... I have lots of great exuces for eating fast.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I am usually done within a minute or two. And we're talking a full plate.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Always the first one finished at the table whether it's at home or out. I'm trying to be better about it by drinking water, pausing between bites, and chewing more. It is true though, you do feel fuller when you take it slow. I used to devour my lunch at work in less than 5 minutes but now I try to make it last at least 20 minutes.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    lol glad im not alone on this. i eat like theres no tomorrow.

shoveling food in like its going to be taken away from me LOL

its like its a race!!
  • alix1105
    alix1105 Posts: 80
    Options
    I had this problem for sure..and I read an article that kind of helped me slow down... I drink a lot more water during my meal.. and chew slower. But another thing that helped was trying to use utensils with the opposite hand. it definitely slows you down instead of shoveling. and I put my food down after each bite. Then I can fully chew, and swallow without inhaling. it sounds crazy but it worked for me. I stop when I get full now instead of downing a bunch of food, and being super full once it hits my stomach. Now my food hits my stomach during my meal so I become too full to finish what's even on my plate. The only thing that sucks about it, is i take about 20 minutes to eat now rather than five. lol anyways, hope that helps a little :)
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I used to be, I moved away and ate on my own a lot so I didn't feel the need to rush it, but when i'm home i'm now the last at the table! I think it was more because I wanted to watch tv and now i watch tv while i eat which is probably why i'm slow! concentrating on the tv!
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am always the first to finish my dinner, well before my hubbie and daughter are even half way. I try to pace myself, but I just can't help it. Mind you, when back at my parents house my dad is always first, so I suppose it is what I grew up with... Glad my daughter takes her time though.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    This is one of the things I still need to work on from time to time. I take large bites, usually many at a time. I just zone out for a sec and before I know it the food's gone. I need to pace myself, so I can properly enjoy my food.
  • BornToRun14
    Options
    Yes definitely! I've always been a fast eater, and still am. It makes it a little bit harder to stay on track when I barely have time to realize what I'm putting into my mouth. I'm still working on breaking the habit :)
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do this too and I don't know why! I'm sure if I slowed down and enjoyed my food more, I would be ultra-skinny.

I'm self-conscious about it so usually when someone makes a comment about how I'm done already, I say "Prison will do that to you!"

^^Love this! LMAO about prison!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I eat fast because if I don't, then I tend not to eat. Not because I don't want to, but because one or the other of the girls always needs something. I portion out my food, and give myself at least 20 minutes between when I'm done eating and when I'll allow myself to get more, and usually I don't need to go get more.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my hubby eats super fast. So fast that when were in a restaurant his plate is cleared and it looks like I'm eating by myself. My family always complained about me eating so slow.

I'm overweight so I don't think it has to do with how fast your consume. But more on what I consume.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    MY boyfriend eats super fast and me not so much. I learned on weight watchers to drink water after each bite. I notice when we eat together i do tend to eat faster so who knows. I would try drinking lots of water by the end of the meal you may find you're not as hungry.
  • angeljenn1343
    Options
    I have heard a few tips that hopefully will help. You could put your fork down between bites, count your chewing (could be 10 chews or 30 chews), and if your eating something like a sandwich put it down between bites. Hope this might help. I should also try these tips out cause I also eat fast. I get a paid interupted lunch at work so I usually try to get as much food finished before I get another customer to attend to.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's always driven me crazy that when I eat out with others, I'm always sitting there with nothing to do while they're still eating their food. I've always been that way. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat dinner slowly tonight.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hahaha my mom used to ask me... Do you eat like that in front of your date?