adding protein shakes to my regimen

Options
I've been nervous to add my protein shakes to my regimen....in fear of gaining weight.so im only going to have them on workout days....anyone else been timid about this at first? The recipes I am using are all low carb low sugar(or no sugar).

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    no comments or advice? lol
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mine only has 114 cals, 2 carbs and no sugar :)
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use them for breakfast now, I used to drink them after a workout. Now, with a baby, I have zero time in the mornings ot eat, especially on the way to work, so I make up a shake and drink it on the way. Keeps me full till lunch! And I'm still losing.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    anyone know of a good website with low carb low sugar protein shakes?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking a shake before a workout, I wouldn't worry about carbs. Carbohydrates are a source of short-term energy - If you're doing an intense workout, you'll use it. Yes I used to get nervous about adding protein shakes, but I didn't overconsume calories and I did need another source of protein. It turned out fine. Plus, every new change you make is an experiment - If it doesn't work for you, you don't have to continue. See how you feel.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    thanks for the replies:) I have pcos so I have to stay low carb low sugar all the time.....
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - 100% Whey Protein. Love it! I think it has helped me recover from insanity workouts faster n I am loosing faster than my norm. 130 cals each :)
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    are they low carb low sugar?
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - 100% Whey Protein. Love it! I think it has helped me recover from insanity workouts faster n I am loosing faster than my norm. 130 cals each :)

This is my protein of choice, too... If you check the label, you can get the kind with lower sugar (100% gold standard is the right one) . All whey proteins have some sugar/carbs but this is the best combo, IMHO. The kind I have has 4g of carbohydrates (I'd definitely consider that low carb). Also remember that if you're not consuming large amounts of protein around the time you work out, a lot of it is going to waste. There is NO reason to fear carbs on workout days!!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Double-posted for some reason, sorry about that
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

This is my protein of choice, too... If you check the label, you can get the kind with lower sugar (100% gold standard is the right one) . All whey proteins have some sugar/carbs but this is the best combo, IMHO. The kind I have has 4g of carbohydrates (I'd definitely consider that low carb). Also remember that if you're not consuming large amounts of protein around the time you work out, a lot of it is going to waste. There is NO reason to fear carbs on workout days!!

I use Dymtize Eite Whey Protein - Gourmet Vanilla

114 cal
    2g carb
    0g sugar
    1.5g fat
    24g protein
    50mg sodium
    75mg potass
    15mg chol
    18% calc

AND - I think it tastes very good, even with water - but I also have used it in a smoothie
  • secretlobster
    Options

I use Dymtize Eite Whey Protein - Gourmet Vanilla

114 cal
    2g carb
    0g sugar
    1.5g fat
    24g protein
    50mg sodium
    75mg potass
    15mg chol
    18% calc

AND - I think it tastes very good, even with water - but I also have used it in a smoothie

The only problem with 0g of sugar is that the protein powder certainly contains artificial sweeteners. Not necessarily something you personally care about, but something to be aware of.
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just use a soy protein powder, (plain) and mix it with some kind of water mix flavor ...kinda like Crystal Light?
    And it is really helpful in the mornings for me, too.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i got rice protein powder from my naturopath, gluten-free.. i had it for breasfast for a little while but then i got bored of it... i prefer my regular toast with peanut butter or even oatmeal with banana.. now i have half tub left.. i need to start having it for breakfast again... it's like a meal replacement but it's kind of boring.. since i have no time to blend it in the blender with banana etc.. i just add cold water, shake it up and drink like that.. just something to share :)
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I can't be bothered with a mix; and to me, they are all so gritty. So I use EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control in Chocolate Fudge. I get them at Sam's Club in a box of 18 (??) for something like $28, so about $1.50 a piece. I drink one a day (sometimes two ), almost always for breakfast since I am NOT a big morning eater but I want to have something to fuel the start of my day. It tastes good, too.

Here are the NUT stats:

Calories: 110
    Total Fat: 3g
    Sat Fat: 0.5
    Trans Fat: 0
    Chol: 25mg
    Sod: 340mg
    Pot: 470mg
    Tot Carb: 4g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 0g
    Protein: 17g

It is a combo of soy and whey protein, so not the BEST (all whey would be best) . The sweetner is sucralose (splenda).

I mix mine with a cup of coffee and pour it over ice; a homemade mocha!!
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump