What are macronutrients and how do they work?

Options
Hello. I have heard a lot of people on here talking about eating withing their macronutrients and I have no clue what that means. Can someone explain to me what macronutrients are and how that whole thing works? Thanks!

Replies

• jwescher
    jwescher Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to www.drfuhrman.com and he will explain micronutrients and macronutrients.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
  • cacrat
    Options
    Yup, we're getting somewhere.

Google, you take so much less time than posting on the forums. Thank you for being so...google :)
  • sloth15
    sloth15 Posts: 1
    Options
    Macronutrients: Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats.

Google it to find out more and why people think certain percentages of each are best.

(See how I did that without being an *kitten*?)
  • cacrat
    Options

(See how I did that without being an *kitten*?)

Yup, I saw that. Well done!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sorry that some of my fellow MFP folks can only provide rudeness, their fiber content must be off;

•Macronutrients are the classes of chemical compounds humans consume in the largest quantities; carbohydrates, proteins.

•Micronutrients are nutrients required in small quantities to orchestrate a whole range of physiological functions, but which the organism itself cannot produce. ]For people, they include dietary trace minerals in amounts generally less than 100 milligrams/day as opposed to macrominerals which are required in larger quantities. The microminerals or trace elements include at least iron, cobalt, chromium, copper, iodine, manganese, selenium, zinc and molybdenum. Micronutrients also include vitamins, which are organic compounds required as nutrients in tiny amounts by an organism.