Carbs after lunch, yes or no?

Options
So I was on facebook and I saw Bob Harpers recent post about it book. It said that you aren't suppose to eat carbs after lunch. Do you agree or do this?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I eat them whenever the hell I feel like /shrug
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Why not? I eat carbs all day, even right before going to sleep =P
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    easy, change the name of your meals so the last one of the day is lunch.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would die of sadness if I had to do that.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    I eat them any time of the day.. perhaps only if it's past 8 I stick to just veggies or lean meat to snack on.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Disagree. How in the world does your metabolism know what time it is?? My muscles are alive, my brain is alive, both require carbs to burn to stay alive. I feed my body what it needs, regardless of the time of day.. and I'm a shift worker.. so if those "don't eat after a certain time" theories were valid, I'd be HUGE. Instead, I listen to my body's rhythms, work it ferociously, and feed it properly.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    i usually eat a truckload of vegetables as part of my dinner, so i guess that would be yes, i eat carbs after lunchtime.

i lurve them so...:smooched:
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    easy, change the name of your meals so the last one of the day is lunch.

LOLOLOL - Excellent advice! LMAO.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My trainers recommendation is no fruit after the 1st meal of the day and carbs should only be eaten during the 1st meal and no later than 2 hours after a workout.
    Doesn't work for me, when I try to deny myself something I crave it and end up binging.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as I have the numbers, I eat my carbs. I don't care what time it is!:drinker:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Everyone's bodies work differently. If something works for someone does not mean it will work for another.
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I saw that today too and thought Yeah right!! There's no way I couldn't eat any carbs after lunch! They are in too many of the foods I like to snack on, like my fiber one bars, protein bars and fruit. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to have any pasta or anything good for supper. I think I will just stick to what I've been doing....I have my carbs lowered to 40% and I try to not go over that and still losing so sorry Bob this girl will eat her carbs whenever she wants! :happy:
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    Maybe he means processed or not as good for you carbs. The foods that are high in carbs because your metabolism slows down later in the day, right?!
  • lindamac101
    Options
    I eat carbs when ever I want. I am still losing weight. I am always over my carb limits but under my fat limits and I do alot of cardio. I think if you dont eat carbs you will be hungry. I do not eat bread or pasta either.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I eat them whenever *shrugs*
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I was on facebook and I saw Bob Harpers recent post about it book. It said that you aren't suppose to eat carbs after lunch. Do you agree or do this?

Lol at Bob Harper's advice, what is the logic behind that advice?
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No way. I have carbs when I feel like my body needs carbs for the extra bulk and energy, like before a workout to keep me from passing out...(I workout in the evenings usually). BUT, I do tend to stay away from them later in the evenings before bed so that I don't feel too full before I catch some shut-eye.

Just do what you and your body feels comfortable with. Certain things work brilliantly for some, but not so much with other people. We're all individuals. We're all different.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of carbohydrates if I am not going to be active but still need to be awake, mostly because I experience the "carb cycle"... Wherein you eat carbohydrates, your body's insulin levels raise, then crash shortly thereafter, making you a) crave more carbs and b) feel listless. Carbs are great for short-term energy, bad for prolonged energy.

If this isn't a problem for you then I don't see a reason to restrict yourself.
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options

Lol at Bob Harper's advice, what is the logic behind that advice?

He was promoting his new book that comes out in late May so... I won't know the logic behind it until it comes out. I was hoping someone would know so I could figure it out too.
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of carbohydrates if I am not going to be active but still need to be awake, mostly because I experience the "carb cycle"... Wherein you eat carbohydrates, your body's insulin levels raise, then crash shortly thereafter, making you a) crave more carbs and b) feel listless. Carbs are great for short-term energy, bad for prolonged energy.

If this isn't a problem for you then I don't see a reason to restrict yourself.

Well, doesn't it depend on the type of carbs you have? Sure, I'll agree with you there...if the carbs you consume are refined and more processed, like white pasta, or white bread for example. It's surely a matter of choosing one carb that's of a lower GI level that leaves you feeling fuller for longer, with slower releasing energy such as brown, wholegrain bread, in comparison to the more processed carbs in white bread that lead to spikes in energy levels.
    I'm no expert, but I've had both first hand experience of this, and have heard it from others.