Help with pull ups!!!!

Options
One of my mini goals is in the next 6 months to be able to do a pull up. How does one train for this? I try everyday at the gym but cant get any closer....I just want to be able to do 1 Dang it

Replies

• AnnaCVeach
    AnnaCVeach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military I wanted to be able to do a pull up as well. So what I did (and this worked for me but might be the right thing for you) was at the gym there was this pull up machine thingy that you climbed on and knelt on and then you set the weight resistance to whatever you wanted it to be and then you'd pull your self up. I started it at a weight where the machine did most of the weight pulling and worked like that until I got stronger and then would adjust until I was doing all the work. If you see a machine such as this you might could try that. Did ANY of that make any sense?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    -negatives: jump up to the top position and lower yourself down as slow as you can
    -assisted pullup machine, if your gym has one
    -lat pulldowns
    -lose more weight
  • KarlG92
    KarlG92 Posts: 6
    Options
    As previously mentioned try doing lat pulldowns in the gym. Slowly raise the weight on the machine and your upper body strength will raise.

Good luck!
    Karl
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    now obviously I am trying to lose more weight or I wouldn't be on here, that was a tad bit rude sounding but I am going to assume you did not mean it offensively. SO I will try the machine at the gym :)
  • TheMarshal
    Options
    The pull-up machine is nice, but along with the pull-down machine, it's easy to get into a rut with them where you cease raising the amount of weight you're lifting (or lowering the amount of counter-weight).

I would highly recommend the "negative" pull-ups as mentioned before. Whenever I'm doing pull-ups, I'll do however many I can normally, rest for a bit, then do a few negatives when I know I can no longer lift myself up.
  • bucaro1975
    Options
    if you have a pullup bar, use a chair to bring yourself to the top of the pullup and step off of chair lowering yourself as slowly as possible. repeat.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I have my pull up bar hanging in the frame of my bathroom door. Every day, I just keep on trying. It seems as though I am getting closer to one pull up....lol. I am going to keep trying and use some of the advice up here. Thanks