Snacks after working out?

Options
I just started to raise my activity levels. Currently I'm doing couch to 5k three times a week, strength training once a week and I try to do one extra day of cardio of something I really like (cycling, dancing). I know that after working out a small snack is helpful to the body. My problem is that I feel kind of nauseous after really pushing cardio and don't feel like eating. Is a glass of almond milk or a smoothie with protein good or should I aim for something more?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    chocolate milk--dairy version is good. almond milk has almost no protein and isn't as great of a choice unless the workout was mild.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I feel kind of nauseous after really pushing cardio and don't feel like eating.

Don't eat if you don't feel like eating. The effects of postworkout nutrition are quite misunderstood and as long as you can provide your body with adequate nutrition over the course of the day you'll be fine, even if that post-workout meal doesn't happen right after your workout.

Now, if you're performing multiple glycogen depleting events intra-day, then you might need to carefully time your nutrients. Based on your post it doesn't sound like this is relevant to your needs.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Both are good. Oddly enough Chocolate Milk is a good light refresher expressed in many fitness magazines.

Protein, carbs, and sugars from fruits are the best for post-workout nutrition. You can get all of that in a protein shake that you can make yourself. Flavored whey protein mixed with a few of your favorite fruits (bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.) are good thoughts of recipes as well as ones you can find online to suit your need.

As far as your workout consisting of intense cardio, drinks consisting of mostly shaved ice has been proven as the perfect refresher for your body.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like a banana with a TBS of peanut butter after I workout. Do what your body asks for...if you're not hungry you're probably okay!