Moderate Exercises for Severely Obese?

Options
Hello, just wondering if anyone has any tips for some moderate exercises i can do... i'm currently walking 30 minutes a day (which is killer on my knees and back, but i do it anyway)... here are some things that i know i cannot do (yet)

lunges
squats
running
heavy lifting
pushups
cycling

if you have any ideas other activities that are not totally boring and will help me get in shape? i played basketball for about 15 minutes with some friends on saturday and although i could sort of keep up, my knees are still sore...thanks!

Replies

• meadowlee
    meadowlee Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello, just wondering if anyone has any tips for some moderate exercises i can do... i'm currently walking 30 minutes a day (which is killer on my knees and back, but i do it anyway)... here are some things that i know i cannot do (yet)

lunges
    squats
    running
    heavy lifting
    pushups
    cycling

if you have any ideas other activities that are not totally boring and will help me get in shape? i played basketball for about 15 minutes with some friends on saturday and although i could sort of keep up, my knees are still sore...thanks!
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    The important thing is to listen to your body. The best exercise for you if you cannot cycle would be to do what you are doing. When you feel uncomfortable ...STOP. Weightloss is 80% nutrition so just watch what you eat until you can add more exercises to your daily routine. You will get there!

151375.png
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    One thing that some of us are doing are what one member (stillkristi) has coined as "wall-aways" They are a modified vertical push up against a wall, which is great for working your upper body.

Check out our thread for some other great ideas and support for the larger ones among us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/42112-the-over-300-club
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    I am no expert that's for sure but I think I would just walk, like you're doing, until you lose some of the weight and then you can add some things. Just log all your food in and also don't think you can only eat 1200 calories because it seems I lose if I eat about 1400 or 1350.
    Good luck!
  • Catherine10
    Catherine10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I to have a lot.... of weight to lose before I get down to my goal weight. Or even before I get into the just overweight. I know cycling is on your list of unable to do at this time. However, my doctor has me starting on a recumbant bike I find this helps with the knees and have been doing quite well. As a piece of fitness equipment it is moderately priced (don't go too cheap) or all gymns have this piece of equipment. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

22876.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A recumbant bike will allow you to get some exercise with very little impact to your knees. Also, any kind of swimming or work-out in the water. I know someone who "runs" laps in the pool. No impact and a great workout. You might also want to think about some toning with bands and/or some pilates or yoga. There are special programs for beginners.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If joints are the issue, swimming is the perfect fix for that. Absolutely no joint stress from swimming and it's a great workout, whether you are obese otherwise. Plus it's a better workout then just walking, hits more muscle groups, and burns more calories per hour.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I just started a water aerobics class - if you at all may have the opportunity to do one, it is great! And easy on the joints and tons of fun. There are 3 or 4 women in my class who are well over 300 lbs. So don't feel shy about going - I was! It is worth it if you get a chance and an excellent workout. :flowerforyou:
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    If joints are the issue, swimming is the perfect fix for that. Absolutely no joint stress from swimming and it's a great workout, whether you are obese otherwise. Plus it's a better workout then just walking, hits more muscle groups, and burns more calories per hour.

I agree with swimming. It does not matter how much you weigh the water is so much kinder to your joints. Good luck
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options

SO true! I have really bad knees too, so even walking up the block was painful I have been swimming for 4 months now, 3 times a week and that has been my major form of exercise. Following the MFP calorie guidelines and swimming, I have been averaging 2 lbs/week lost.

I know that swimming can be intimidating when you are larger. I thought that I was going to look silly among all the high powered athletes if I went to the length swims at my public pool! When I got there I found it that there were far fewer athletes and far more middled aged overweight men and women just out to get some exercise! The lanes are separated for slow, medium, fast and everyone is really friendly.

Even though I grew up swimming, I was so out of shape, at first I could only do a slow breast stroke or use the paddle board for one length then catch my breath before coming back. Now I can swim a strong freestyle lap and even though I still have to catch my breath at the end, my recovery time is much faster. The 30 lbs lost and increased fitness has made an incredible difference - now I can walk for an hour! I also found that when I broke out my bike this spring, it was much easier for me to ride.

I just wanted to share that with you so that you know that even if you feel intimidated or incapable, you can do it and even a small change (<10% weightloss, in my case) will make a huge difference before you know it.
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Swimming? no impact....
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    punches
    swimming is a great idea
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    The exercises you mentioned may be too high impact at this time. There's some videos by Leslie Sansone (walk away the pounds) where you walk in place and do different things, you can break it down into 10 or 15 min intervals thru-out the day.

Use a ball, resistance bands, etc to get your muscles moving without the impact. Don't hurt yourself is the most important thing.

When I started this, I had a bum knee. I had a brace on it and started walking on the treadmill. After 2 mos, not only did I not need the brace anymore but my knee never hurt. And at 3 mos of doing this, I started jogging a bit, something I thought I'd never do again! But I had built up the muscles so that the joint didn't ache as the muscles were doing their jobs of keeping things in place. SO you may be surprised once you start building muscle that the problems go away.. it's not just about the weight, as my knee bothered me at 185 and it doesn't bother me at 243...

Stretching is also very important, get some oxygen to those muscles. You can find proper stretching online. If some things you can't do, you can modify a lot of stretches (instead of touching the floor, touching your shins) and still get a good stretch from it.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I also have a great video I got when I was much larger - called Big on Fitness. It was specifically designed for larger people. It was very challenging at first, in fact I couldn't finish it. It is low impact and really designed to be easy on joints, etc., while still challenging muscles. But as I continued to lose it got easier and now I don't use it at all anymore. It is VHS - if you are interested and can use it, I would send it to you. Just let me know!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I too, have a lot to lose. My starting weight was 286 - I set my goal to lose 100 pounds - but that will still not put me in the "overweight" category.

Do you walk outside or on a treadmill? I've found that I can do MUCH more on a treadmill than I can outside... it's just kinder to my joints. I can't do lunges either - it hurts my arches and my feet. I can't run yet or even jog without paying for it for days and not wanting to exercise.

I find that doing some extra stretching helps me. I do leg lifts, crunches and "girl" push ups or wall-aways.

Here's what I've found though... it doesn't take long to build up to being able to do more. When I started in March - I walked on my treadmill for 10 minutes at 2.0 mph and called it good. SOMETHING was better than NOTHING. Soon I was able to do 20-30 minutes. Now, I can walk at 3.5 mph for an hour and 15 minutes. Part of it for me, was getting over the fear of hurting myself.

You can totally do this! Increase your intensity slowly and find things that you DO like to do. If swimming is something that you enjoy - go swimming - but if all you can do right now is walking - that's really sufficient for the time being!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Walking, on grass. Swimming is awesome, but a bit intimidating if you're self conscious. Another option is to simply walk up and down a flight of steps.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I started on here with 150 lbs to lose and that gets me to the top end of my Ideal weight range. There are lots of execises you can't do but you would be surprised what you can do when you push yourself.
    It will hurt, your muscles will be sore.

I go to the gym 5 -6 days a week ( yes I felt out of place at first) A good trainer can help you do what you are capable of and push you a little more too. At the gym I use the recumbant bike, the elliptical and the treadmill. I also work out with some weights. I go swimming, walking, attend a belly dancing class and use the Wii Fit. My husband has just bought a heavy bag and speed bag and I am eyeballing that too as long as it doesn't hit back.

What I am trying to say is that, while there are some physical limitations, a lot of the limitations are ones you have instilled in yourself. If you change the mindset, you can change the behaviour